New health policy on Windstar

jumelle

Given that the latest studies show that 'normal' is actually more like 97.9, that shows a high enough fever that people should be kept out of a closed environment like a ship even without this specific coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/forget-98-6-humans-now-have-lower-body-temperature-on-average-heres-why#Whats-normal

I have not seen the email.  Care to share or summarize the email?

I am curious as to what they do if you are denied boarding?  Refund your money?  Give you two aspirin and try again tomorrow at the next port?  Lucky for me, my normal temperature is about 97.1

• Like 1

We are sailing on the Surf on the 18th Feb and did receive this e-mail. Our issue with disqualifying you from the cruise due to an elevated temp > we are in the middle of common cold virus and  flu season both in Canada and US. How many times we've picked up a cold or feel under the weather after travelling to our destinations on vacation typically from flying. We have not traveled to Asia or been exposed to anyone with Corona but the flu season here is in full swing. We've had our flu shot but even a cold can give you an elevated temp  and  then what? 

The notification from Windstar is copied below:

"A new respiratory virus, called 2019-novel coronavirus, has been identified as the cause of an outbreak of respiratory illness that began in December 2019 in the city of Wuhan, Hubei Province, China. Additional cases are now being identified in other countries. You can find updated information on the Centers for Disease Control's website.

The health and safety of our guests and crew is our number one priority. While none of our ships are currently sailing in any areas with confirmed cases, Windstar Cruises has implemented an enhanced health screening questionnaire for guests and crew to screen for possible coronavirus. Additionally, all crew travel through mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau has been suspended.
No one will be allowed to board a Windstar ship who:

• Has been in or travelled from or through China, Hong Kong or Macau in the 30 days prior to embarkation.

• Has within 30 days before embarkation had close contact with, or helped care for, anyone suspected or diagnosed as having Coronavirus, or who are currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to Coronavirus.

Prior to boarding a ship, all passengers and crew will be administered a no-touch thermal scan to screen for fever. Anyone with a fever (≥38 C°/100.4 F°) will not be allowed to board the ship.

As a member of Cruise Lines International Association, Windstar maintains close contact with health professionals and regulators around the world and will modify policies as developments emerge. Additionally, Windstar Cruises has implemented its highest levels of sanitation on all ships.

There is currently no vaccine to prevent Coronavirus. The best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to this virus. However, as a reminder, the Center for Disease Control (CDC) always recommends everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, including:

* Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after using the restroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
* If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
* Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
* Avoid close contact with people who are sick, including sharing cups or eating utensils.
* Stay home when you are sick.
* Cover your cough or sneeze: cough or sneeze into your elbow, or cover with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
* Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
If you experience any symptoms of any illness while on board, please stay in your cabin and contact the Medical Center. Consultation charges will be waived. If you develop symptoms after leaving the ship, see a doctor right away.

In an effort to share information with you about traveler health, please refer to the attached brief FAQ. We look forward to serving you on board.

Thank you,
Windstar Cruises

FAQ's: Novel Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Is Windstar currently sailing in any areas with confirmed cases of coronavirus?
No. We are currently not sailing to any areas with reported cases.

What are Coronaviruses?
Coronaviruses (CoV) are a large family of viruses that usually cause respiratory illness. A new (novel) CoV was identified in Wuhan, China, in December 2019 and is called 2019-nCoV.

What is the current situation?
The new coronavirus is causing an outbreak of illness in the city of Wuhan, China. Additional cases have been confirmed in other countries including the United States. The situation remains fluid. Stay up to date by visiting the Center for Disease Control's website.

What are the symptoms of 2019-nCoV
Signs of infection may include respiratory symptoms, such as fever or feverishness, cough, shortness of breath, and breathing difficulties.

How is the virus transmitted?
Health authorities say it can be passed from one person to another through close contact, such as caring for or living with an ill person.

How can I minimize risk of catching or spreading a respiratory illness?
The Center for Disease Control (CDC) always recommends everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, including:

* Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after using the restroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
* If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
* Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
* Avoid close contact with people who are sick, including sharing cups or eating utensils.
* Stay home when you are sick.
* Cover your cough or sneeze: cough or sneeze into your elbow, or cover with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
* Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
What are the treatments?
There is no specific antiviral treatment recommended for the new coronavirus infection. Individuals with respiratory infections should seek medical care to help relieve symptoms.

Is the new Coronavirus the same as SARS or MERS viruses?
It is a similar type but not the same virus that caused SARS or MERS.

What is the preventive action Windstar has taken?
Along with other Cruise Lines International Association member cruise lines, Windstar Cruises now requires each guest and crew member to fill out a health questionnaire specific to coronavirus prior to boarding the ship and undergo a no touch thermal scan to screen for fever. Anyone with a fever (≥38 C°/100.4 F°) will not be allowed to board the ship.

The sanitation levels on all ships are being elevated.

Guests or crew who have been in or travelled from or through China, Hong Kong or Macau in the 30 days prior to embarkation are not being allowed to board the vessel. Guests who within 30 days before embarkation have had close contact with, or helped care for, anyone suspected or diagnosed as having Coronavirus, or who are currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to Coronavirus, are not being allowed to board the vessel. Additionally, all crew travel through mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau has been suspended.

If you experience any symptoms of illness while on board, please stay in your cabin and contact the Medical Center. Medical visitation fees are currently waived on board Windstar Cruises' ships for guests presenting with symptoms of the coronavirus. If you develop symptoms after leaving the ship, see a doctor right away. "

We regret having to deliver such disappointing news and on behalf of Windstar, we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. By copy of this email, we are asking your cruise counselor to call you to discuss the details and answer any questions you may have.

There is a banner with a link to the letter at the top of Windstar's home page. This is the link to the letter PDF.

https://windstarcruises.blueconic.net/s/17n?profileid=f6e47bbf-ff63-4797-a4d7-bbd271ab721f

We haven't received an email with the letter. Perhaps they are only sending it to those cruising soon. 

We are also on the Feb. 18 cruise. We are also doing a pre day in Cozumel. We have not been out of Arizona since September. We were on the Pride NY to Montreal in Sept. ( Great cruise ! ) Never been to the far east. I am also anxious about getting mild flu ( had our shots but they are not 100% protection) or common cold symptoms.  It has been  an unusually cold winter ( almost down to freezing at night) . Taking lots of airbornes. But I will be anxious about the temp check until we are aboard.  Hope to see you there razor.

Honumaui,

Hope to meet you on board or Cozumel. We are doing a 4 day pre-cruise and staying at Westin Cozumel. Looking forward to this vacation and get away from this winter. We got hammered yesterday with 40 cm snowstorm. Mexico and the carib will be wonderful. We love our Cali friends. We sailed on the Surf 2 years ago and met up with great friends from Sacramento area and still stay in touch. Let's hope we all stay germ free. It's really the pits whats going on around the world and these understandable  precautions

You must be fans of Maui based on your handle!

Eric and Sophie 

All the more reason to have travel insurance. Even though I've had a flu shot every year for 40 years, it's not 100% protection.

And you could easily argue that this "opressive" rule is for the protection of the paying customers. How would you like to be on that quarantined cruise ship, confined to your cabin, and maybe not even getting all your meals? I presume there is a psychological burden of EITHER not knowing how many people are getting sick around you, or knowing from your internet or TV viewing.

I believe that I had to sign a health statement before my last (pre Coronavirus) Winstar boarding. But people (like those who come in to your office sniffling and coughing ... ) are notoriously poor about making decisions that go beyond their personal needs and interests.

2008 news item: " The makers of Airborne have agreed to refund money to consumers as part of a $23.3 million settlement of a class-action lawsuit for false advertising. It does not admit wrongdoing or illegal conduct. "

• Like 1

Thank you but most of us are aware airborne ( and most of the other supplements) advertise falsely but I figured a little extra Vitamin C before the cruise wouldn't hurt. I don't consider the boarding rules oppressive at all. Just hoping we don't catch colds on the way .Planes are not the healthiest of places and the only way we can cruise on the Surf ( which we love) is to fly somewhere.  We are seniors and always get travel insurance in case of emergencies on a cruise. Happily I am glad we have never needed to use the insurance. And many of us have allergies..if we didn't go anywhere when we had sniffles we would be housebound always. 

Aloha razer..we are also booked in the Westin but only one night. Spending a post night in St Maartin and a night in Miami on the way home. It is really hard to get good west coast connections from St Maartin . Also got better flights that way. The difference in cost will pay for the hotel night. Go figure !

By the way...we relocated from San Diego to Arizona a few years ago. Forgot to change our profile. Have some great Canadian friends in Vancouver. We have been to Montreal twice on cruises..a beautiful city. We spent a lot of time in Maui. San Diego used to have a direct flight. Been spending more time cruising lately. Looking forward to meeting you.

4 hours ago, ahottoddie said:

We are on the Windsurf out of SXM on 2/29...I called Windstar yesterday with the “what if” scenario and they told me that if we were denied boarding because of this they would refund us in full...eases my mind a bit.

Getting that in writing should ease it more.

• Like 1