New Orleans Christmas Eve and Day - Not Much To Do?

SeaWatcher65

Plan to arrive New Orleans December 24 for a cruise sailing out December 27.  Hoping to enjoy a lot of jazz music and Christmas celebrations before we cruise with our teenage son.  Reading some reviews, I'm concerned New Orleans will be mostly quiet December 24 and 25 with many places closed for the holiday.  Will there be much to do December 24-26?  Maybe we should arrive earlier that week to enjoy some holiday festivities - street music, caroling, holiday music in churches, etc.  Any advice?  Thank you. 

1 hour ago, SeaWatcher65 said:

Reading some reviews, I'm concerned New Orleans will be mostly quiet December 24 and 25 with many places closed for the holiday.  Will there be much to do December 24-26?

I've been to New Orleans during the holidays a few times and theres just as much heavy eating, hard drinking, and copious amounts of music that there always is there.

Some of the major restaurants like Commander's, Antoines, and Galatoires are going to be closed Christmas Day, but they will be open the 24th and 26th so book ahead and plan for that.

On Christmas Day itself the nicer places that are open are all attached to some of the hotels-- we had a wonderful brunch at The Roosevelt Hotel (check out the Sazarac Bar while you're there), some great jazz in the lounge of the Ritz-Carlton, and the Carousel Bar in the Hotel Monteleone is open and not to be missed.