CARNIVAL CORONA VIRUS THREAD

sapphire_407

So the inevitable has happened, the 11 March has changed it itinerary and removed a port completely.

It had 3 ports and now we've got an email saying there is only 2 ports.

Mystery Island and Noumea.

It was meant to be Mare, Isle of Pines and Noumea.

Wonder if there will be any compensation for a total of 1 less port.

Although they do state:

Q.  I booked this cruise only to visit 'XX' port, and now we are missing that port. I want a refund for this?
A.  If the itinerary change is for reasons beyond Carnival's control, no additional compensation will be provided on board or after the cruise through Guest Care.

Edited by nickfritz

2 hours ago, PlanoDebbie said:

So, if my husband was traveling for work to China and came home only a few days before a cruise, he wouldn't have to use his passport to get on a cruise ship.  He could choose to travel with his original certified birth certificate and driver's license.  Unless Border security runs his name through any search system, how would they know?  Serious question.  FYI, he's never been to China, but asking to know how they could honestly know your travel history without your passport in hand.

Excellent point. That defeats my idea just like that. 🙂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Aplmac said:

Given the current global health situation

I think many of these island-nations are operating 'in an abundance of caution'.

Prior to COVID-19,

these islands have been known to refuse entry to cruise ships

with Noro-virus on board -or other suspicious and non-desireable afflictions

so this is refusal behaviour is not new,

although perhaps a bit more stringent now

- knowing "what stalks the face of the earth"!

I came across an interesting "dashboard" of current nation-status for COVID-19

in map form, with big blobs of colour

representative of the extent of infection, per country

complete with numbers, stats and other fun stuff. Link below.

I found it interesting: Geez the Far East looks a mess!

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html?fbclid=IwAR0He6UYpywlPXkVq9764Ewx5vWyu1bFkFoluooUQAXfMYspF3-oMKSEjuM#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Very good, Aplmac . . . thank you very much.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Aplmac said:

And Carnival Fascination ....

Whole day today

it looks like she's been out at the Quarantine Anchorage in Carlisle Bay

but may v.recently have been allowed to dock?

Webcam at Bridgetown Port shows Carnival Fascination

early this morning, safely docked at the breakwater (not her usual spot)

so it appears that the concerns/panic may be over

for her and her pax

Fascination docked.JPG

OK -an interesting graphic

showing Fascination's roundabout course

as she awaited permission to dock!

And an article to read..

http://www.loopnewsbarbados.com/content/negative-sheer-joy-carnival-fascination-after-covid-19-scare?fbclid=IwAR2E65wrzg4Bge2XXtQQSUnEUgV_9B5m0IkEgTk_jVsEew492TvZT0Tde2Y

Captain must've been furious, being held in limbo like this...

Fascination route!.jpg

7 hours ago, beshears said:

TeresaJ, we are on the same cruise as you.  I know the days are getting much shorter, and I have already received a notification from the insurance I took out to cover all of us, and said they would NOT be reliable for this Coronaviris!  So it looks like we will be stuck no matter what, but I'm "praying" that things will go better than what they seem at this time.

Not surprised about the insurance. We are not cancelling. We haven't cruised in 2 years so I'm getting very excited, despite what's going on. Not going to let it ruin my vacation. I'm hoping we make it to all our ports, but it's out of our control. I just want everyone to be healthy and safe!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TeresaJ said:

We are not cancelling. We haven't cruised in 2 years

so I'm getting very excited, despite what's going on.

Not going to let it ruin my vacation.

I'm hoping we make it to all our ports, but it's out of our control.

I just want everyone to be healthy and safe!

Just do what Doctors do.
WASH YOUR HANDS many times a day (between patients, for Drs.)

Experts are saying that masks don't do a lot (OK they make you feel good)

but washing your hands any opportunity you get

or upon return home after being out there in public

- is by far the most useful thing you can do!

MANUAL transmission would seem to be a big factor!

SO.

Stop shaking hands, don't rub your eyes, don't bite your nails

and stop picking your nose! LOL - these are habits we all have.

26 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

Just do what Doctors do.
WASH YOUR HANDS many times a day (between patients, for Drs.)

Experts are saying that masks don't do a lot (OK they make you feel good)

but washing your hands any opportunity you get

or upon return home after being out there in public

- is by far the most useful thing you can do!

MANUAL transmission would seem to be a big factor!

SO.

Stop shaking hands, don't rub your eyes, don't bite your nails

and stop picking your nose! LOL - these are habits we all have.

Yes, we will be extra cautious! We are avid hand washers, especially when traveling. 

• Like 1

I’m not sure it’s possible but I hope (and I’m guessing they are) the cruise lines are talking to the islands about the criteria used to deny docking and what the cruise lines need to do to show the islands that the the risk of corona is low enough for them to dock. 

I totally understand why the islands are nervous, given their medical infrastructure. But it seems like coming up with some criteria is in everyone’s interest. Easier said that done, I know.

Maybe that criteria is there, and it’s just not public. But if islands are going to deny boarding because a couple of people on a ship are showing flu like symptoms, they might as well just shut down until this blows over. 

In the meantime, none of this has affected my calculus in this at all. If my 3/27 and 4/18 cruises are sailing, I’m on those ships. Regardless of the ports.

Edited by Hoosierpop
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, PlanoDebbie said:

So, if my husband was traveling for work to China and came home only a few days before a cruise, he wouldn't have to use his passport to get on a cruise ship.  He could choose to travel with his original certified birth certificate and driver's license.  Unless Border security runs his name through any search system, how would they know?  Serious question.  FYI, he's never been to China, but asking to know how they could honestly know your travel history without your passport in hand.

Thankfully, airlines have been suspending travel to certain areas.

"Airlines have been suspending flights or modifying service in response to the coronavirus outbreak"

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2020-02-24/factbox-airlines-suspend-china-flights-due-to-coronavirus-outbreak

So with all of this going on, time to bring up the idiots that refuse to wash their hands at the buffet/dining room.  IMO they are simply not allowed in unless they do.  Those people are selfish at the best of times, but now I think it actually deserves retribution.

1 hour ago, WorkerBee74 said:

So with all of this going on, time to bring up the idiots that refuse to wash their hands at the buffet/dining room.  IMO they are simply not allowed in unless they do.  Those people are selfish at the best of times, but now I think it actually deserves retribution.

So how would anyone know who washed their hands?  Unless you had 1 sink that every one had to stop at and and check off some card  LOL 

45 minutes ago, bingomamma19 said:

So how would anyone know who washed their hands?  Unless you had 1 sink that every one had to stop at and and check off some card  LOL 

Because there are handwashing stations at the entrance to the buffet?  Maybe we've been on different ships, but I've seen people outright refuse to wash them and go strutting past everyone else like they are someone special.

• Like 1

This is not looking good at all, I’ve been following the news all day. Being from California, home of the first community infection maybe Carnival will ask me to stay home and happily offer a full refund. I must say our governor did a great job at the press conference this morning and I am not a fan. I was surprised there was a freak out after and another big stock market drop.

He mentioned they were monitoring 8400 people but none of them have tested positive for the virus so far and they are mostly the people that have arrived from Asia since the virus appeared. We desperately need more tests and a lab in state to process them quickly, they are on the way and should be here within a few days according to the CDC. He was calm and reassuring and shockingly apolitical, the state and federal governments are working hand in hand. OTOH it is a given that the virus will spread. 

I am not worried at all about the health of my family except my 90 year old mother who suffers from COPD but she is high risk for the flu also so not much has changed there.  I do wish I hadn’t booked a family cruise for Easter Week but I am sure that will sort itself out, one way or the other. Oh, and I am going with Carnival or paying extra for the cancel for any reason travel insurance from now on! 

Oh, and being stuck on a cruise to nowhere does not sound appealing at all to me. There is a valid reason the ships are being turned away, not sure this is the time to be on a cruise ship. They offer a wonderful vacation under normal circumstances but flu season has been a problem for years and the new virus just ups ante. Ok, sorry for the negatively, hopefully things start looking up! 

Your governor did an excellent job. This case from UC-Davis at least got some federal-level attention once the CEO’s letter was posted about the refusal of testing for 5 days. This stuff needs to be transparent. I’m not in favor of mass hysteria but I’m not in favor of simply not testing people unless the person has known exposure either. We need common sense and we need readily available kits (that are accurate) and labs in which to process them.
  • Like 2

TeresaJ, we are on the same cruise as you.  I know the days are getting much shorter, and I have already received a notification from the insurance I took out to cover all of us, and said they would NOT be reliable for this Coronaviris!  So it looks like we will be stuck no matter what, but I'm "praying" that things will go better than what they seem at this time.

What type of insurance did you take? Unless you paid heavily for the cancel for any reason (and even then it’s being suggested you not mention coronavirus as the cancellation reason), its not going to be covered. It’s a very frustrating situation for sure. I have 2 more weeks until I hit the huge penalty phase for cancellation so I have a little time. The first case in Mexico was reported today — that’s gonna be a situation to watch for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As far as making sure people wash their hands before entering the buffet, I don't think it's enforceable.  The best thing a person can do is wash their hands with soap and water in one of the conveniently located hand-washing stations near the buffet AFTER they handle the utensils.  That's what I do.  I eat at the buffet at least once a day on every cruise and have never gotten sick on a cruise.  You can really only control yourself and depend on only yourself to stay healthy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hawkeye93 said:

Hand sanitizers do no good? What?

While I’m glad you rarely get sick, not everyone is that lucky. Some people have no choice but to worry about what others do. They have compromised immune systems and other underlying health issues that rely on your proper hygiene, vaccinations, etc.

Hand sanitizers don’t help with some viruses, such as norovirus.  There was a study that showed use of hand sanitizers actually increased the risk of norovirus.  They do work on cold and flu viruses, however (and so they probably work on this corona virus, also).

Hand sanitizers don’t help with some viruses, such as norovirus.  There was a study that showed use of hand sanitizers actually increased the risk of norovirus.  They do work on cold and flu viruses, however (and so they probably work on this corona virus, also).

Correct. A blanket statement saying they do no good is incorrect and misguided.

Hawkeye93, I cannot tell you exactly what type of coverage (took it out for 8 people) I took out through Trip Advisor Store/TravelSafe, but it was to cover our flight and cruise.  After getting the letter about the Coronaviris, I contacted them about my friend not coming, and "thought (???)" they would at least reimburse me back for her part, as she is not going, but they told me since the period from when I took the insurance out had already passed, they wouldn't reinburse me back.  That I am NOT happy about, but it is just another "learning lesson" for me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, beshears said:

Hawkeye93, I cannot tell you exactly what type of coverage (took it out for 8 people) I took out through Trip Advisor Store/TravelSafe,

but they told me since the period from when I took the insurance out had already passed, they wouldn't reinburse me back. 

HUH?  What does ^^ this mean ^^^ ?  What period had already passed?  What would the insurance cover if not the flights and/or cruise?

Hawkeye93, I cannot tell you exactly what type of coverage (took it out for 8 people) I took out through Trip Advisor Store/TravelSafe, but it was to cover our flight and cruise.  After getting the letter about the Coronaviris, I contacted them about my friend not coming, and "thought (???)" they would at least reimburse me back for her part, as she is not going, but they told me since the period from when I took the insurance out had already passed, they wouldn't reinburse me back.  That I am NOT happy about, but it is just another "learning lesson" for me.

If you had cancel for any reason you coverage you would definitely know bc for 8 people the cost would’ve been big. When is your cruise? I’m unclear on what this means: “Since the period from when I took the insurance out had already passed, they won’t reimburse me”. Can you clarify?

• Like 1

Lol, I was asking you.  When I saw the post I thought there was some good news.  

Oh. Lol. But I guess there is good news in that it says all states should have their own testing abilities by the end of next week. I still think the testing criteria needs adjustments but hopefully we are making progress on that. They at least updated the criteria for healthcare workers. Baby steps.

• Like 1

The big news at the moment is Norwegian Cruise Line just announced that it is changing and modifying it cancellation policy in the wake of corona virus fears. I can’t figure out how to post a link but go to cruiseindustrynews.com and the article is easy to find. I suspect Carnival will follow suit.