CARNIVAL CORONA VIRUS THREAD

sapphire_407

34 minutes ago, pe4all said:

I have a cruise 3/22.  DH is pushing me to cancel. (he has to work - it is just dd and myself going.)   I have trip insurance (Travelguard) which will not cover anything.  I had used points for my airfare, so I am sure I would get that back.  I know I would get back port taxes, prepaid grats, bottomless bubbles, computer time and water for cabin, leaving me with a loss of $1300.  DH says he will gladly eat the cruisefare to keep us safe.  I told him that - as of this point- with tens of thousands of cruisers in and out of Florida each week, there (so far) have been no cases of coronavirus.  This could change in an instant.  I will wait until last minute to cancel, if need be.  Right now I am in a holding pattern, as are many, many others.

We all have to make our own decisions regarding safety. given that there hasn’t been a single incident of Coronavirus in the Caribbean, I’m not sure what risk is being mitigated. To me, the risk is getting turned away at a post because someone sneezed. But I get your husband wants you and your daughter to be safe.

Like you said, this could change if ships get passengers or crew with Corona. But until that happens, no way I’m canceling.

Edited by Hoosierpop
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Hoosierpop said:

We all have to make our own decisions regarding safety. Is this a Caribbean cruise? If so, given that there hasn’t been a single incident of Coronavirus in the Caribbean, I’m not sure what risk is being mitigated. To me, the risk is getting turned away at a post because someone sneezed. 

now, this could change if ships get passengers or crew with Corona. But until that happens, I don’t see the need to reduce an already small risk. 

I agree 100% 

I had assumed that the poster you were responding to was worried about a lengthy quarantine.  I think that is far more likely than getting a severe illness from any bug you might encounter on a cruise (not just this corona virus).  By orders of magnitude.

• Like 1

Just now, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

I agree 100% 

I had assumed that the poster you were responding to was worried about a lengthy quarantine.  I think that is far more likely than getting a severe illness from any bug you might encounter on a cruise (not just this corona virus).  By orders of magnitude.

Good point on the quarantine. That would suck. And I hope they would do it differently than the Princess ship. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hoosierpop said:

Good point on the quarantine. That would suck. And I hope they would do it differently than the Princess ship. 

Absolutely.  On another post I said most people are concerned about “inconvenience factors” eg money.  Safety, as it should be, is always concern #1 without overreacting in advance.  Knowing what we know now about how the Princess Diamond quarantine and the FACT that 11 people died, let’s let politics go...  We on this board are interested in cruising.  We want to continue to cruise.  I’m not canceling my future

cruise & unless things get dire I don’t recommend others do either in currently unaffected areas.  

I cruise for relaxation if nothing else.  Keep that

state in mind as you book or cancel.

18 hours ago, Luv2cruz1000 said:

Incredible! Our last cruise we witnessed people using their hands at the condiment station for guys burgers! How anyone thinks you can stay healthy on a cruise doing that is beyond me. Needless to say,we did not need ANYTHING for our burgers. 

Scary part for both this and the backwards ladies is this was seen, what is scary is what we don't know about.

Even more scary, many are supposed to be educated and well off citizens from first world countries. Makes you wonder what they learned at school and from their parents growing up.

For me this has been an evolving issue for a week now, being the super planner and control freak that I am it has been very frustrating. I booked our family cruise almost a year in advance, made sure everyone had passports and bought trip insurance, not Carnival because I wanted high dollar medical, including medical evacuation. 

Thursday we will hit 30 days out and our last chance to cancel and at least get a 50% refund, that decision has been totally stressing me out. This is a big deal and a lot of money for us, we probably won’t get a do  over if we don’t go and don’t get a refund. I have come to what I think is a logical conclusion,  I have no control over this!

We are not going to cancel, if the ship goes we go, the Vista April 4th. I am going to put my faith in Carnival and if the situation gets to the point we are seriously putting our lives in danger they will cancel, therefore triggering a full refund. I am putting my faith in Carnival mostly because it just doesn’t make good business sense to do otherwise. 

As we wait I will hope and pray the Coronavirus causes as little damage as possible which is the real concern. The cruise is a minor glitch and money is just that money, it’s already spent so obviously not important to my family’s well being and safety. 

Happy cruising everyone, this too shall pass and keep sharing the latest info. 

Edited by LaRue1975
  • Like 8

34 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

First death from coronavirus in the United States confirmed in Washington state, officials say

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/29/health/us-coronavirus-saturday/index.html

It’s important to actually READ that article. While sad, the decedent already had underlying health conditions. Also, there’s this...

It's important to remember," Azar said, "for the vast majority of individuals who contract the novel coronavirus, they will experience mild to moderate symptoms, and their treatment will be to remain at home, treating their symptoms, the way they would a severe cold, or the flu.”

This is no different than the flu. Everyone needs to relax. Corona has been around a long time, this is just a new strain.... again, just like the flu. 

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, DubNHub said:

It’s important to actually READ that article. While sad, the decedent already had underlying health conditions. Also, there’s this...

It's important to remember," Azar said, "for the vast majority of individuals who contract the novel coronavirus, they will experience mild to moderate symptoms, and their treatment will be to remain at home, treating their symptoms, the way they would a severe cold, or the flu.”

This is no different than the flu. Everyone needs to relax. Corona has been around a long time, this is just a new strain.... again, just like the flu. 

If it's just like the flu, then why did the Governor of the state of Washington declare a state of emergency??

Washington governor declares state of emergency over virus

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/coronavirus-cases-unknown-origin-found-west-coast-69301250

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

If it's just like the flu, then why did the Governor of the state of Washington declare a state of emergency??

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/coronavirus-cases-unknown-origin-found-west-coast-69301250

Get federal dollars.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Joe817 said:

Because some people are prone to mass hysteria.

I'm not trying to downplay this or dismiss it. My son (who was 10 at the time) was seriously ill and hospitalized with H1N1 (swine flu) during the 2009 pandemic, so I can speak from firsthand experience about how scary a pandemic can be. But in the vast, vast majority of COVID-19 cases the symptoms are on par with the common cold or flu, with deaths occurring primarily with people who have serious underlying health issues.

So even having been through our experience in 2009, we are not panicking about this new strain of coronavirus. We will take precautions and we have trip insurance. But assuming we are not sick and our ship is sailing, we will be on it.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, LaRue1975 said:

No, I absolutely do not know how this Coronavirus will play out but to predict hundreds of thousands of deaths because a family member who happens to be a physician said so on a cruise message board is irresponsible. 

There is no way anyone knows what is going to happen, including all those that refuse to acknowledge there is a problem at all. Let’s stick to how the possible epidemic pertains to the cruise industry, share confirmed information and try to help each other out. That’s it. 

^^^^^^This! Let's try to stick to what we know.....not what we speculate what the outcome will be. To many of us here say 'it's just another flu bug'. Well it's not. It's brand new. Folks, we are in uncharted waters here. It was only discovered 3 months ago. It's still to early to tell how this thing will act out over the next few weeks, months or even years.

• Like 4

That's the thing.  I'm honestly not that worried for myself/family over the virus itself.  Selfish and first world as it is, I'm worried about the hysteria causing me to lose a few thousand dollars and a much anticipated trip.  Judge me as you will.  It's going to run its course just like all the other viruses we've dealt with.  I'm not a total jerk..I feel for those affected..but I can't do anything about that and it's historically just a fact of life.  

Really glad this trip doesn't sail out of Seattle at this point.

But come ON man...let me go on my cruise!!

<running and ducking from all the hate I'm probably about to get>

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, LaRue1975 said:

For me this has been an evolving issue for a week now, being the super planner and control freak that I am it has been very frustrating. I booked our family cruise almost a year in advance, made sure everyone had passports and bought trip insurance, not Carnival because I wanted high dollar medical, including medical evacuation. 

Thursday we will hit 30 days out and our last chance to cancel and at least get a 50% refund, that decision has been totally stressing me out. This is a big deal and a lot of money for us, we probably won’t get a do  over if we don’t go and don’t get a refund. I have come to what I think is a logical conclusion,  I have no control over this!

We are not going to cancel, if the ship goes we go, the Vista April 4th. I am going to put my faith in Carnival and if the situation gets to the point we are seriously putting our lives in danger they will cancel, therefore triggering a full refund. I am putting my faith in Carnival mostly because it just doesn’t make good business sense to do otherwise. 

As we wait I will hope and pray the Coronavirus causes as little damage as possible which is the real concern. The cruise is a minor glitch and money is just that money, it’s already spent so obviously not important to my family’s well being and safety. 

Happy cruising everyone, this too shall pass and keep sharing the latest info. 

I'm on the Vista the week before you so I know how you're feeling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Joe817 said:

^^^^^^This! Let's try to stick to what we know.....not what we speculate what the outcome will be. To many of us here say 'it's just another flu bug'. Well it's not. It's brand new. Folks, we are in uncharted waters here. It was only discovered 3 months ago. It's still to early to tell how this thing will act out over the next few weeks, months or even years.

It most certainly is another flu bug.  While a different strain, that is what happens.  Do a history check on pandemic flu's.  could they ever stop it from spreading?  no  Will people die?  yes, unfortunately lots.  Will it be the end of the world? no  New large strains usually do run two years.  Just this morning, the EXPERTS said, that the vast majority of people who contract this will have a very mild version,  just like the ..... flu.  The point here is will each of us here let it dominate our lives or take precautions and live our lives.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, toothfary7 said:

https://apple.news/AjFZg-b0pTeyJQ2mk30bTDQ

Saw this on Cruise newsfeed 

Thank you so much for posting this link! After reading some of the posts today, especially this one I feel myself starting to relax and take a breath, whew! The enhanced screening could result in people being turned away but the compensation seems fair. Mostly it confirms my belief that Carnival will take a pro-active approach to keep their ships sailing and passengers safe. 

My daughter is a 4th grade teacher and therefore exposed to every bug in California, she was worried about being turned away as sniffles and cold symptoms are a way of life for her. Now we know if that happens a do over is guaranteed.  I know I have been overreacting even though I have tried hard not to, if not for the cruise I probably wouldn’t be paying that much attention to the Coronavirus.  Starting to feel much better,  thanks everyone, keep the info and updates coming!