CARNIVAL CORONA VIRUS THREAD

sapphire_407

1 hour ago, Hoosierpop said:

I don’t have any insurance. But if Carnival cancel the cruise, I’m pretty sure they will give us a refund or full credit for a future cruise.

My husband is nervous about our May Baja cruise on Imagination. I told him that IF Carnival gave us the option that we would rebook for a later date. We still have 2 months to see what happens. I am a bit concerned, but hoping in the next month or so stuff calms down.

21 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

My prof sent me an email last night about the current situation with Princess.  She thinks I'm absolutely insane for considering going.  Her fear is more the quarantine. 

My biggest fear is the missed ports. 

I've been to most of these ports, so not worried.  Have a balcony room, so can weather a Quarantine if the worst happens.  Have 520 sick hours banked (I realize that I am in a very fortunate minority) and also can work from home so not worried about work.  I'm also in good health with no underlying conditions.  I am the last person who should be cancelling.

We leave for Miami on 3/13 and sail on Horizon on 3/15. We are going unless Carnival cancels. My biggest fear is not getting the virus but getting into a quarantine situation on the ship. That would not be a fun vacation!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ihearttravel11 said:

My husband is nervous about our May Baja cruise on Imagination. I told him that IF Carnival gave us the option that we would rebook for a later date. We still have 2 months to see what happens. I am a bit concerned, but hoping in the next month or so stuff calms down.

I totally understand. I’m not going to judge anyone. I think Carnival should let people reschedule any trip through April at no cost and then reassess the situation as we move along.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, meanjean80 said:

I've been to most of these ports, so not worried.  Have a balcony room, so can weather a Quarantine if the worst happens.  Have 520 sick hours banked (I realize that I am in a very fortunate minority) and also can work from home so not worried about work.  I'm also in good health with no underlying conditions.  I am the last person who should be cancelling.

I am in the same boat.  No pun intended.  We have a balcony.  I doubt we will see another quarantine like the first Princess cruise.  I think a lesson was learned there.  Although there is the issue of finding a port that will accept the ship to offload.  But like you I have sick time and vacation time, can work from home and have a flexible boss.  My husband as well.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

You can look up number of ships and itineraries as easily as I can, but my two of my Carnival ports (San Juan and St. Thomas) are repeated on my Viking Cruise.  I can't point you to another "major" line since I only have the two cruises booked.

I do recognize the two lines are different (slight understatement 😉 ) - which is why I described Carnival as the everyday apple and Viking as the growing niche market apple, but they are both ocean sailing cruises.  I read your posts as we shouldn't compare air policies to cruise policies, so I offered an example of a cruise line policy.

I saw a CC article showing what some of the lines are doing and HAL (part of the Carnival umbrella for those who might not know) was listed.  I don't know if you consider them a major line or not but that article might give you an idea of what others are doing.

So I looked at Viking Ocean, they actually have more ocean liners than I thought, a total of 7 with a total capacity 6,400 (ships hold 900 passengers at capacity) with itineraries all over the world, one of which does the Caribbean.  For discussion sake let’s leave HAL out of the discussion (because I cannot imagine hoe one under the umbrella would be different than the rest.  Carnival cruise line has 26 ships and without doing the exact math, lets say the average capacity is 3,500 for a total of over 90,000 (this includes an uptick for a strong percentage of ships that have multiple sailing in a week.  My point is there are many other factors with a major cruise line to a much smaller one (albeit larger than I thought with out checking.  

What I meant was Royal, Celebrity, NCL, Princess (at the very least the vast majority) etc.  I wont take it further, but decisions made for 100,000 passengers are different than 6,500.

32 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

My prof sent me an email last night about the current situation with Princess.  She thinks I'm absolutely insane for considering going.  Her fear is more the quarantine. 

My biggest fear is the missed ports. 

Well those are two totally different things, not sure what a prof is....

2 hours ago, Hoosierpop said:

I don’t have any insurance. But if Carnival cancel the cruise, I’m pretty sure they will give us a refund or full credit for a future cruise.

If they did, you would get it all back.  Right now, I would say that is a long shot.

3 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Well those are two totally different things, not sure what a prof is....

Professor. We were discussing Covid19 in class yesterday and I mentioned I was still going. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

So I looked at Viking Ocean, they actually have more ocean liners than I thought, a total of 7 with a total capacity 6,400 (ships hold 900 passengers at capacity) with itineraries all over the world, one of which does the Caribbean.  For discussion sake let’s leave HAL out of the discussion (because I cannot imagine hoe one under the umbrella would be different than the rest.  Carnival cruise line has 26 ships and without doing the exact math, lets say the average capacity is 3,500 for a total of over 90,000 (this includes an uptick for a strong percentage of ships that have multiple sailing in a week.  My point is there are many other factors with a major cruise line to a much smaller one (albeit larger than I thought with out checking.  

What I meant was Royal, Celebrity, NCL, Princess (at the very least the vast majority) etc.  I wont take it further, but decisions made for 100,000 passengers are different than 6,500.

Hiya there Jim !

Amazing what can bring me back to the boards from time to time  :)

My next booked cruise is on the Mardi Gras next March. By then, hopefully this all will be well in the past.

If nothing else - in the meantime I think I'll periodically recheck my cruise rates !!

• Like 1

Just now, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Hiya there Jim !

Amazing what can bring me back to the boards from time to time  🙂

My next booked cruise is on the Mardi Gras next March. By then, hopefully this all will be well in the past.

If nothing else - in the meantime I think I'll periodically recheck my cruise rates !!

Hey Tom, been a long while.  Need to find a way to sail together again and catch up!  We have an excel aft suite on the Mardi Gras for 1/23 sailing (assuming we are all still breathing😎😱).  We were supposed to be on the initial sailing 8/31 which as cancelled due to the ship not being ready.

7 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Hey Tom, been a long while.  Need to find a way to sail together again and catch up!  We have an excel aft suite on the Mardi Gras for 1/23 sailing (assuming we are all still breathing😎😱).  We were supposed to be on the initial sailing 8/31 which as cancelled due to the ship not being ready.

I booked an excel (forward). Knowing that they were a bit smaller, but also I was not sure about looking out over the deck below rather than the sea -- only the lowest aft deck or two were available then.

Bummer on the ship not being ready. At least they gave people a lot of heads up. Not to go too much OT (well, ok!) but what in the world happened to make it miss their mark by that much?

2 hours ago, AmBear said:

These passenger all need to be taken off this ship, and put into 14 day min quarantine, leaving them on the ship with recirculated air is the worse thing they can do, as the ship in Japan proved!

Cheng has previously posted several times the information that it is not the air conditioning system that would spread the virus. Also a doctor who was a passenger on the Diamond Princess has said it was the crew who also should have been quarantined, but were not as someone had to deliver food who caused the spread. He further went on to say that their steward was ill.

38 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I booked an excel (forward). Knowing that they were a bit smaller, but also I was not sure about looking out over the deck below rather than the sea -- only the lowest aft deck or two were available then.

Bummer on the ship not being ready. At least they gave people a lot of heads up. Not to go too much OT (well, ok!) but what in the world happened to make it miss their mark by that much?

Never got a good answer on that.  They did miss their other new build (same class of a ship) by close to the same.  The company has two yards I think, one with enclosed building for entire build and other (this one) where ship is outside last 6 months (or so).  Not sure it means anything.  

33 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Cheng has previously posted several times the information that it is not the air conditioning system that would spread the virus. Also a doctor who was a passenger on the Diamond Princess has said it was the crew who also should have been quarantined, but were not as someone had to deliver food who caused the spread. He further went on to say that their steward was ill.

Blaming the spread on recirculating air is akin to saying people should not have been allowed on their balconies because of the infected outdoor air so close to shore. 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

At best, lets say they're guessing as the CDC says they're not sure how its spread. From my knowledge of AC, its possible for disease to spread this way, ie legionnaires disease etc.!

Quite possibly these people you quoted are correct, but it doesn't make sense the cause of 700 people ill in quarantine was one sick employee, maybe, but maybe not!

45 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Blaming the spread on recirculating air is akin to saying people should not have been allowed on their balconies because of the infected outdoor air so close to shore. 🤣🤣

Not really as outside air isn't part of a closed air system!

8 minutes ago, AmBear said:

At best, lets say they're guessing as the CDC says they're not sure how its spread. From my knowledge of AC, its possible for disease to spread this way, ie legionnaires disease etc.!

Quite possibly these people you quoted are correct, but it doesn't make sense the cause of 700 people ill in quarantine was one sick employee, maybe, but maybe not!

They may have been exposed prior to quarantine and developed symptoms after.  

The virus travels from the human contact with another human. Kissing, sneezing. It doesnt just jump from one to another. Again, I wouldn't recommend being in a closed room with a bunch of unknown people cause they can caugh on you, sneeze or touch. I’d recommend staying away from big crowded places. Same goes for concerts, theatre's and etc. safety first.

in any case, no matter what TV says, I dont believe that the situation is THAT bad. So just relax and keep livin  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

But viruses do not travel through closed air systems—unless it is REALLY small, as in one room.

Usually yes, but this virus as we're calling it, is still unknown, there are many diseases like TB that can go long distances in closed systems!

4 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

The virus travels from the human contact with another human. Kissing, sneezing. It doesnt just jump from one to another. Again, I wouldn't recommend being in a closed room with a bunch of unknown people cause they can caugh on you, sneeze or touch. I’d recommend staying away from big crowded places. Same goes for concerts, theatre's and etc. safety first.

in any case, no matter what TV says, I dont believe that the situation is THAT bad. So just relax and keep livin  

It also lives on surfaces for a period of time.  So you can touch something and pick it up. Hence the hand washing and not touching your face recommendations.  

3 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

so you'd skip safety drill? -)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1