Viking Coronavirus Update

Squawkman

11 hours ago, Cleopatra99 said:

Well done Viking, a good customer focused decision.

However ...

This temporary exception to our standard cancellation policy is applicable for all guests who currently have a reservation with Viking and for all new reservations made through April 30, 2020.

Once the coronavirus situation stabilizes, I imagine the offer will be withdrawn - regardless of whether you already hold a booking or you book something new before 30 April.

I'm a skeptic and I wonder about this also.....

We leave for Norway in 5 days in search of the northern lights. This is a cruise that we have anticipated taking for a couple of years. 

So we are NOT cancelling. 

There is one confirmed case in Tromsø, 9 in Oslo, and 9 in Bergen. How they got all the way up there is anyone's guess.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1otOjbWOk0sMQnytVh17a5X5n-SJlPqCn&ll=32.01769068242907%2C-12.561001499541817&z=3

10 hours ago, Cleopatra99 said:

Interesting .. we have traveled with Finnair twice (very nice actually) but via Singapore codeshare with Qantas.

Sadly you are correct, transit via HK means refused boarding in Bergen.

I'm sure you have explored all of the options and I'm sorry you ended up on the wrong side of the airlines policy.

Please do keep us informed .. and if you do go I'll be amazed if you aren't delighted with the whole experience.

FYI .. we did a mix of included and optional excursions on the Homelands cruise (all good) but used Alla Tours in St Petersburg - Alla was fantastic.

Regards, Cleo

Thank you Cleopatra 99 

We have booked TJ travel in St Petersburg and we are getting the train from Oslo to Bergen on our own.

Will keep you updated and thank you for your kind words.

regards, Karen

1 minute ago, Rabbit27 said:

Thank you Cleopatra 99 

We have booked TJ travel in St Petersburg and we are getting the train from Oslo to Bergen on our own.

Will keep you updated and thank you for your kind words.

regards, Karen

Well chosen, TJ also has a great reputation.

If you haven't already booked hotels please let me know. I'm happy to make a couple of suggestions.

If you don't have plans already worked out for Bergen, again happy to make a couple of suggestions.

19 hours ago, Thom71 said:

We got the Viking email........tough decision

...and yet so like Mr. Hagen to go above and beyond for Viking customers. I know all about this firsthand from how well the March Sky guests were treated. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 2

Agree that Viking is doing the right thing offering the ability to cancel.  However, our cruise departs Auckland March 6.  We left home March 1 and got the email when we arrived in Auckland on March 3.  Too late to do anything about it now.  Hoping for a safe and uneventful cruise!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

...and yet so like Mr. Hagen to go above and beyond for Viking customers. I know all about this firsthand from how well the March Sky guests were treated. 

This is the...third?...reference to the Sky incident and how well it was handled.  Could someone give those of us in the dark a thumbnail synopsis?

We have been waiting and saving for almost 2 years for our September cruise from Venice and at this point we are not cancelling, this is a retirement cruise for myself and my best friends who are going with us.  We are waiting to see how the summer months tampers the virus spread. We have good insurance so we are covered for any outcome.

4 hours ago, Candlesmith said:

This is the...third?...reference to the Sky incident and how well it was handled.  Could someone give those of us in the dark a thumbnail synopsis?

After a near disastrous incident where Sky lost engine power, almost ran aground and passengers were airlifted off via helicopter in the midst of a storm,Viking provided great assistance to passengers in getting replacement clothes, travel arrangements home and compensated the passengers with what amounts to three free cruises. 

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

After a near disastrous incident where Sky lost engine power, almost ran aground and passengers were airlifted off via helicopter in the midst of a storm,Viking provided great assistance to passengers in getting replacement clothes, travel arrangements home and compensated the passengers with what amounts to three free cruises. 

Clay....well explained!  I might add that for the Chairman's Inaugural sailing, free (economy) air has also been offered - details not finalized yet till next month. It'll be interesting to see if some sort of discounts are available for those who wish to upgrade air. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Clay Clayton said:

Hmmm, I think given what the cruise is costing you, I’d certainly be willing to pay a little to upgrade!   

lol....I've sort of promised myself that I'll never fly economy again long haul. A few experiences being cramped in planes with a 3-3-3 seating configuration pretty much has me convinced. So, yeah, I've been thinking the exact same thing you just mentioned. 

15 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Clay....well explained!  I might add that for the Chairman's Inaugural sailing, free (economy) air has also been offered - details not finalized yet till next month. It'll be interesting to see if some sort of discounts are available for those who wish to upgrade air. 

Then there are those of us who were supposed to sail on the Sky the following Wednesday. We were given a full cash refund of everything paid to Viking (including air, Viking insurance, etc.). We were also given a voucher for the cruise fare paid for the inconvenience caused by the cruise cancellation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

lol....I've sort of promised myself that I'll never fly economy again long haul. A few experiences being cramped in planes with a 3-3-3 seating configuration pretty much has me convinced. So, yeah, I've been thinking the exact same thing you just mentioned. 

At six foot seven and not skinny, I am of the same mind, but when Viking offered free Economy air last fall for the return from our Asian trip we decided to give it a try for the first time in 10 years, especially since we didn’t want to sleep during the 12 hour flight.  We paid $189 pp for exit row seats (2+3+2 on an A350) and were very pleased.  Biz and Prem were both packed, econ was 50% empty so I ended up with two seats to myself and unlimited legroom and DH sat in the center section and had a seat and a half and good legroom. We felt like we had won the lottery!

860DF446-FA28-458D-B91A-306C1EFEF26A.jpeg

9C0653FA-4A21-4926-85DB-7BC7FE79E7AF.jpeg

84CFF17A-0F3B-4C9A-A958-1BEAC43C9863.jpeg

Edited by Clay Clayton

4 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

WOW!  I guess our instincts are pretty good.  After only one Viking Ocean Cruise (South America and the Chilean Fjords 12/2-12/26 with an added five day post cruise extension to the Galápagos Islands), we booked three more cruises with Viking; two ocean and one river.

We had no idea about the Sky misadventure nor that Viking would lead the industry in their response to the fear and uncertainty surrounding the current Coronavirus situation.

Thanks for the information, OTJ, it is enlightening.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2020 at 4:49 PM, Vera George said:

We are greatly relieved and thank Viking for generously doing the right thing.

We agree....our cruise is not until late July, and we are impressed with Vikings way of dealing with this.  So we'd like to add a, "Thanks Viking, you are handling this really well."

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

At six foot seven and not skinny, I am of the same mind, but when Viking offered free Economy air last fall for the return from our Asian trip we decided to give it a try for the first time in 10 years, especially since we didn’t want to sleep during the 12 hour flight.  We paid $189 pp for exit row seats (2+3+2 on an A350) and were very pleased.  Biz and Prem were both packed, econ was 50% empty so I ended up with two seats to myself and unlimited legroom and DH sat in the center section and had a seat and a half and good legroom. We felt like we had won the lottery!

860DF446-FA28-458D-B91A-306C1EFEF26A.jpeg

9C0653FA-4A21-4926-85DB-7BC7FE79E7AF.jpeg

84CFF17A-0F3B-4C9A-A958-1BEAC43C9863.jpeg

Great! What is right in front of you...another economy section? Or were you guys right behind premium economy or business? It just looks like you're at the end of a particular seating section. Very decent in terms of leg room! I just hate being cramped in between one of the regular rows. 

13 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

As others have said Viking went above and beyond both during that situation and afterwards.  We used one of our free vouchers towards a river cruise which we now have postponed due to Coronavirus.  Again Viking stepped up to accommodate us.  As I said to Chairman Hagen at our meeting that fateful day in Molde. “The mark of a good company is how they handle adverse or problem situations.  Viking has exceeded those expectations “. We still have that opinion today

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Great! What is right in front of you...another economy section? Or were you guys right behind premium economy or business? It just looks like you're at the end of a particular seating section. Very decent in terms of leg room! I just hate being cramped in between one of the regular rows. 

We were in the second section of economy at an exit door with the two Flight attendant‘s seats directly in front of us. So the only time I had to share my space was at takeoff and landing. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Just an FYI, we just boarded Sky in Miami and the enhanced preboarding medical assessment included additional questions regarding travel within the last two weeks as well as a temperature check.  

Any idea what happens if, God forbid, somebody has a temperature pre-boarding? I understand they will not be allowed to board but do they just get left at the dock and have to figure out how to get home?