Spirit of Discovery refused entry to Gibraltar (Norovirus)?

Harry Peterson

She does appear to be anchored off Gib.  What a shame!  I believe that more than a certain number of cases of noro (not to be confused with corona) have to be reported to the authorities.  We have been on ships where there have been a few cases, and the worst thing happening was  extra precautions at the entrances to dining rooms, and buffets being altered so that you could not serve yourself.  We managed never to get it.

Maybe we will get some reports on this and previous cruises on Discovery, sometime?

Updated:  https://www.chronicle.gi/gib-turns-away-cruise-ship-with-89-suspected-norovirus-cases/

The Gibraltar Port Authority has turned away British cruise liner Spirit of Discovery due to a norovirus outbreak on board.

Some 89 suspected cases of norovirus have been recorded on board.  Norovirus is a contagious stomach virus, with symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting, fever, nausea and stomach pain.

A Gibraltar Government spokesman stressed the norovirus symptoms are “not those of Coronavirus”.

“As it neared Gibraltar this morning, the cruise ship, Spirit of Discovery reported that, on board, it had 89 cases of suspected Norovirus,” a Government spokesman said.

“However, given the current situation, the vessel has been asked to continue to its next port of call, Southampton, without berthing at Gibraltar.”

The Government confirmed the cruise ship has 868 passengers and 513 crew on board.

89 is a large number of people. She will be undergoing a deep clean when she gets back to Southampton.

I do feel sorry for all on board, as it sounds like a sad end to their cruise.  Obviously, luckily not as bad as the problems in Asia with all the ships affected by the other virus!

Sorry to say this but many older people do not have the habit of washing their hands after going to the toilet or just put their hands under the tap with no soap. I am 75 so not being ageist.

People need to be encouraged to wash their hands a lot more on a ship and not be let into eating places without using the hand gel.

Such a shame for the passengers on this beautiful ship. We sailed to Norway on her last year.

18 minutes ago, silversurf said:

Sorry to say this but many older people do not have the habit of washing their hands after going to the toilet or just put their hands under the tap with no soap. I am 75 so not being ageist.

People need to be encouraged to wash their hands a lot more on a ship and not be let into eating places without using the hand gel.

Such a shame for the passengers on this beautiful ship. We sailed to Norway on her last year.

I don't think it's remotely related to age (and I don't think the age profile on Saga is any different from other British cruise companies - though probably more upmarket because of the prices), on observing so many people (mostly younger people actually) leaving toilet cubicles without washing their hands - and then straight into the rest of the supermarket digging their filthy hands straight into the foods, sometimes unwrapped foods.  Worse still - serve yourself foods.

Once picked up a very nasty bug which we could only attribute to a 'serve yourself' lunch we'd had from a supermarket - never ever again, and the same applies to buffets on ships.

Edited by Harry Peterson
  • Like 1

I have to say I have witnessed many women not washing hands after visiting bathroom.  I just don’t understand how they can be so ghastly.  Apparently you need to sing happy birthday to yourself whilst washing hands to ensure you wash thoroughly.  As for the hand gel, the one usually supplied on the ships hurts my hands so I always take my own and use it at appropriate times like outside restaurants and cafes. 

I can't comment on Discovery, as we have not yet sailed on her, but on Sapphire (with no apparent noro on board) at the entrance to each restaurant you were obliged to at  use the sanitisers at the doorway - either spray on or putting your hands into the 'machine', under strict supervision.  Some people say they are useless,  but  I would like to think they help.

I agree that there is no age limit on being hygienic or not.  If anything, as one gets older and is naturally more health conscious, at least for me I am very aware of the dangers of bugs, and wash hands thoroughly, as everyone else I see in the loos does.

After spending a few cruises on Oceania where there is no self serve in the buffet restaurant,I always use paper towels to handle Self serve cutlery,I trust no one.

I am really sad to hear Spirit of Discovery has noro virus.We have decided to cruise with Saga more now for many reasons,but one being that we are fed up with Oceania and their outbreaks of Norovirus.Being a nurse who has done a lot with cross infection issues,I was shocked on my last two Oceania cruises.

Hoping all recover well.

On 2/10/2020 at 3:30 PM, janecambridge said:

that we are fed up with Oceania and their outbreaks of Norovirus.Being a nurse who has done a lot with cross infection issues,I was shocked on my last two Oceania cruises.

I thought Oceania had very few cases of norovirus mostly because there is no self service. I must say I’m very surprised 

I have been on board Azamara, Cunard and Saga ships when there was a GI outbreak.

Cunard quarantined both occupants of the cabin whereas Saga allowed the unaffected person out and about around the ship.

I have to say I prefer Cunard's approach.

16 minutes ago, Glenndale said:

I have been on board Azamara, Cunard and Saga ships when there was a GI outbreak.

Cunard quarantined both occupants of the cabin whereas Saga allowed the unaffected person out and about around the ship.

I have to say I prefer Cunard's approach.

As I understand the situation on Spirit of Discovery, the approach adopted was to quarantine all occupants of affected cabins.