Any hotel recommendations for Cinque Terre region prior to cruise

Piaa

Good morning 

We are on SD11 in October out of Rome and will arrive 4 days early and are looking to spend a few days in Positano/Cinque Terre as we have never been to that area - any recommendations on a nice hotel/airbnb that is not €1600+ per night (like the one I found LOL) 

Thanks everyone 

Wow, that's sporty.  SeaDream took us to the Cinque Terre villages by boat.  Absolutely lovely.  But I could see then it would be very pricey to stay there.  We would go back again so let us know if you find anything you like.  Like y'all, we just want to spend the night, not buy the place....🍸

At $1600 I'm guessing you found the Splendido! 

My best recommendation for this region is Hotel Cenobio Dei Dogi, a four-star boutique hotel right on the edge of the sea in the small and local seaside resort of Camogli. The hotel is wonderful and good value, and the location and view unbeatable.

Camogli itself is just a few miles north of Portofino, and the two places probably looked very similar a century ago. Today, they could not be more different: While Portofino is crawling with superyachts and tourists, Camogli is more authentic, local and slightly gritty. I loved the place for exactly these reasons, but if you expect Bvlgari shops you'll be disappointed. There are local ferries between the two towns, also a rather challenging hiking path. 

Distances are very short between Cinque Terre, Portofino, Sestri Levante and the other gems on the Ligurian coast, and they are all served by local trains, so a rental car isn't even necessary. In fact, even with a car you will not want to drive to the Cinque Terre villages - hair-pin roads and terrible parking - but instead leave the car in neighboring Levanto or La Spezia and hop on the local train that connects all five villages.

Edited by BamsePiv

A tip for taking the train.  If you are starting at La Spezia, try to get an all-day ticket inside the station.  Otherwise, you will have to buy tickets at each of the towns from vending machines.  There may be only a couple of vending machines with long lines of tourists who each have to figure out how to make their purchases.  Much time is wasted doing this.  If you can't get an all-day, buy your next ticket when you get off the train so you aren't stuck in a line while the train leaves the station.    Get a train schedule so you don't arrive at the station late and have to wait a couple of hours for the next train.  Also, if you weren't aware, much of the train ride is through tunnels.  If you can figure out the system, it can be inexpensive and fast, but not scenic.  If you are up to it, you can also do the scenic walk along the cliffs between the towns, but not if you are acrophobic.  I know.  Have a great trip.