Anthem Delay - the Latest

Jedge

19 hours ago, ed01106 said:

Doesn’t excuse RCL’s failure to provide a single person with knowledge of the area hotels to provide guidance and suggestions about area hotels to the customers they were turning away.

And I would treat this like the RCI "recommended" jewelry stores in the Caribbean. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

because of the absolutely horrible and inaccurate information they provided, I flew home.

What inaccurate information specifically? There was such a long period where information was released. I thought it was mostly info about delays and itinerary changes?

28 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

I’m still really upset!  I should be on that cruise but because of the absolutely horrible and inaccurate information they provided, I flew home.

Don't be upset. You made the right decision. There was so much uncertainty that I would have taken the refund and flew home if I was in your situation.  As a matter of fact I probably would have taken the refund even though I can drive to port. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

How long will the Anthem be staying in Bermuda?  I saw some people walking around outside, and tour vehicles were parked on the pier.

They will depart tomorrow at 3:30pm according to the schedule they sent out earlier.

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

What inaccurate information specifically? There was such a long period where information was released. I thought it was mostly info about delays and itinerary changes?

They changed the information at least 5 times.  The last straw was on Saturday around 2pm when they said we wouldn’t board until Monday.  We had already spent 2 days there.  The thought of spending 2 more days in a hotel with nothing around, no car, and nothing to do wasn't an option so we actually lucked out and found an expensive (much more than the pitiful $200 they’re giving us) flight home.  Several hours later, we find out that RCI AGAIN changed their mind and would let us board on Sunday.  We would have stayed had they communicated properly.

26 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

They changed the information at least 5 times.  The last straw was on Saturday around 2pm when they said we wouldn’t board until Monday.  We had already spent 2 days there.  The thought of spending 2 more days in a hotel with nothing around, no car, and nothing to do wasn't an option so we actually lucked out and found an expensive (much more than the pitiful $200 they’re giving us) flight home.  Several hours later, we find out that RCI AGAIN changed their mind and would let us board on Sunday.  We would have stayed had they communicated properly.

If they told people Sunday and it was actually Monday they'd probably be even angrier. It was an unusual situation.

I mean you weren't stuck in the middle of nowhere. NYC from Newark is definitely doable without your own car. 

You could always email your complaint and see what they say.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

CDC was in control of the information flow, not Royal Caribbean.  The cruise line had to wait for results.  As far as your hotel choice, check out Jersey City next time and not hotels near EWR.  There are ferries from Jersey City that could have taken you into NYC where you would have had many things to do.  The $200 flight change fee was just that, compensation to cover your change fee for your flight.  If the flight was more expensive, you can file a claim with your travel insurance. 

The cruise line was in a lose lose position and they did their best to keep everyone safe,  Sometimes, when life gives you lemons, you have to make lemonade.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, sellwingri said:

I appreciate your answer providing elaboration. I had gone through your posts and wondered if something was missing.

I think your biggest complaint is that you didn't know on Saturday that boarding on Sunday (7 pm) could be done.

But it seems clear RC did not know either. You gave up because of an anticipated 2 night delay, but that was not due to RC withholding info they knew. 

With 2 days in NYC, you could have had a wonderful time. Sorry you missed it.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

As far as your hotel choice, check out Jersey City next time and not hotels near EWR.  There are ferries from Jersey City that could have taken you into NYC where you would have had many things to do.

I'm glad you mentioned that. Depending on where they were staying, access to NYC might not be that convenient.  Many of the airport hotels are on roads that are best descried as tangled web of on-and-off ramps that confuse even the best GPS systems that make even getting an Uber a challenge and are not pedestrian friendly   If the hotel doesn't offer shuttle service to a train or ferry station, you are stuck staring at truck traffic on I-95.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I'm glad you mentioned that. Depending on where they were staying, access to NYC might not be that convenient.  Many of the airport hotels are on roads that are best descried as tangled web of on-and-off ramps that confuse even the best GPS systems that make even getting an Uber a challenge and are not pedestrian friendly   If the hotel doesn't offer shuttle service to a train or ferry station, you are stuck staring at truck traffic on I-95.

I think this is overly pessimistic. If near the airport, get an uber to the train station and go from there.

If planning, I would consider options more carefully. But it's not hard to get from near the airport to NYC. Better than sitting in the hotel.

Edited by marci22
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, marci22 said:

I think this is overly pessimistic. If near the airport, get an uber to the train station and go from there.

If planning, I would consider options more carefully. But it's not hard to get from near the airport to NYC. Better than sitting in the hotel.

We always stay at Embassy Suites in Elizabeth when we sail Anthem, as we are driving down from Boston area and get there around dinner time, night before cruise.  If we were sitting there waiting because of a delayed sailing, we absolutely would be getting to a train station to head into the city.  I just mentioned Jersey City as I was researching new hotels and liked the ferry options within walking distance of some of the hotels we were considering.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, marci22 said:

Yeah, I am. I had a bad experience once. I had a park-and-fly package out of Newark and the entrance of the hotel was not on the main road but off a side street. My GPS at the time didn't alert me until after I drove past the side street. But it wasn't like I could do a U-turn and go back. I just had to take an endless series of ramps merging left, then right, dodging 18-wheeler's. Probably took 15 minutes to get back. And then I missed it a 2nd time. Finally got it on the third try.

Sadly, I'd flown out of EWR plenty of times before so you'd think I'd known better.😉  But I guess the local Uber drivers should know better than I.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Yeah, I am. I had a bad experience once. I had a park-and-fly package out of Newark and the entrance of the hotel was not on the main road but off a side street. My GPS at the time didn't alert me until after I drove past the side street. But it wasn't like I could do a U-turn and go back. I just had to take an endless series of ramps merging left, then right, dodging 18-wheeler's. Probably took 15 minutes to get back. And then I missed it a 2nd time. Finally got it on the third try.

Sadly, I'd flown out of EWR plenty of times before so you'd think I'd known better.😉  But I guess the local Uber drivers should know better than I.

That's classic North Jersey driving conditions. Made me laugh cause I've done the same many times. Congratulations on getting there. I used to commute into Newark for a job and you do get used to it. That being said, once you're in the train station it's a quick ride into the city. 

• Like 1