Excursion for Adventure Seekers!

lucki701

Just wanted to let you know about an amazing excursion we did with Extreme Dominica last week on our cruise.  Its not mentioned much on Cruise Critic, but you should definitely check it out if you love adventure!  Its called canyoning.... basically rappelling down cliffs and jumping off them in Titou Gorge.  They picked us up at the port, drove us to their site where they fitted us with safety gear and had a practice session.  Then they drove us to the starting point and we spent 2-3 hours canyoning.  There are no limits to who can participate in this tour, though it is not for the faint of heart.  They have taken children as young as 6, and we had a gentleman in his 60s with a bad knee in our group.  That gentleman and I struggled and needed a lot of help from the guides and the strong men in our group.  I will strongly recommend that you be in good physical condition, but the guides are outstanding and will help anyone through.  If you are looking for an incredible and memorable experience in Dominica, check out their website at extremedominica.com and on TA as well!

DSCN1233.JPG

DSCN1258.JPG

DSCN1313.JPG

DSCN1270.JPG

My adrenaline-loving SIL is trying to talk me into this.  I am a big, self-proclaimed scardy-cat!  I've watched the video on their site and am now even more afraid.  I think the jumping from so high up is what is freaking me out the most.  Do you have to jump or can you rappel all the way down?  I'm 56 and not all athletically inclined.  Thoughts?

On 2/9/2020 at 5:53 PM, iluvthe-c said:

My adrenaline-loving SIL is trying to talk me into this.  I am a big, self-proclaimed scardy-cat!  I've watched the video on their site and am now even more afraid.  I think the jumping from so high up is what is freaking me out the most.  Do you have to jump or can you rappel all the way down?  I'm 56 and not all athletically inclined.  Thoughts?

There are some that you have to jump.  I think there were three spots to rappel and like 4-5 jumps.  The jumping freaks me out too but at least its over quick!  You wear a life jacket, so you pop right back up.  Some of the spots feel like the rocks are crowding you, but in reality they probably aren't.

Now that I'm out, I'm super glad I did this, but I'm overweight and definitely wouldn't have made it without the guides.  The part that I don't feel like they mention on their site and is worth knowing.... after you get through all the jumps and cliffs and you made it, YOU HAVE TO HIKE ALL THE WAY BACK UP!  The website says a small hike is included.... this is not a small hike!!!  Its probably a mile and a half over rocks and uphill the whole way after you are already exhausted.

This is a once in a lifetime experience and I'm sure you will be able to complete it... the guides are so helpful and honestly, once you start, you don't have the option to fail!  You either have to keep going and finish or build a hut and live down there forever.  It is one of the most physically difficult things I have ever done though.

Oh my!  Well she signed me up.  I totally get the 'once in a lifetime' way of thinking.  I will probably only do Dominica once so I might as well do it up right, right?  It sounds like a good way to experience the island, not just ride around in a van and see it.

Thank you so so much for the response.  Very helpful.  I am thankful I have a heads up about the jumps and the hike back.

Another question if I may, what kind of shoes did you all wear?  They are saying hiking boots are best or tennis shoes.  I am not schlepping hiking boots down to the Caribbean!  I have water shoes with fairly decent tread.  Do you think I will be OK in those?  I feel like they have a better sole than the actual tennis shoes I am wearing.  Thank you!

On 2/11/2020 at 8:03 PM, iluvthe-c said:

Oh my!  Well she signed me up.  I totally get the 'once in a lifetime' way of thinking.  I will probably only do Dominica once so I might as well do it up right, right?  It sounds like a good way to experience the island, not just ride around in a van and see it.

Thank you so so much for the response.  Very helpful.  I am thankful I have a heads up about the jumps and the hike back.

Another question if I may, what kind of shoes did you all wear?  They are saying hiking boots are best or tennis shoes.  I am not schlepping hiking boots down to the Caribbean!  I have water shoes with fairly decent tread.  Do you think I will be OK in those?  I feel like they have a better sole than the actual tennis shoes I am wearing.  Thank you!

You need something with good tread when soaking wet. You will be in standing water.  We bought water shoes on Amazon that did not have a very sturdy sole and that was probably part of my difficulty.  I slipped on everything and stubbed all my toes by the end of it (and ruined my pedicure!)  I wish I would have tried the fairly standard water shoes I already owned... at least those had a sturdy sole and even if I still slipped on everything they would have maybe protected my feet better.