Windstar 101

bgetter

Can I have Windstar 101 quick education?  Looking at booking the Wind Star for a Transatlantic.  Lots and lots of sea days.

How much is internet since ports are not an option and we have to have internet to keep our business in business to afford cruising?

Does Windstar have specialty restaurants?  What is the cost?

Can we bring wine onboard?  How much?

How much are tips?

Any thing else you think we should know.

Thanks.... Looking to book Monday if all the answer line up.

On board the Star Legend's 15 day crossing at the moment.

Our internet is $525. Unlimited, single device at a time. The speed has been pretty decent. We managed a skype call will our grandkids without too much breaking up at all. Like you, it is required but it is also a business expense so that helps ease the pain. 

Can't comment on Windstar restaurants. There's only one additional one on the Legend. No charge. All food has been superb. 

Yes to bringing on board wine. There is a limit. We don't drink so I don't know how much. Book before the end of Feb and you'll get 2 bottles as well as part of Pick Your Perk. 

Tips are I think $14 something a day. ($435 for the two of us?) Your shipboard credit from WS can't be used for the tips but your TA's credits can be. 

Book it. We started cruising with mainly sea days 12 years ago. It was the only way I could get my husband to completely disconnect from work. No conference calls, no big deliveries (our work is delivered electronically), just short emails basically saying "I'll get back to you after I'm home."  I highly recommend this way of stepping away from work. And the slower crossings with WS (most lines are much faster) are even better for letting go and really recharging one's batteries. 

If you are on the MSY Wind Star, the specific ship, - note that it is a small ship.  I have taken it across the Atlantic.  It is not for everyone.  I loved it.  There were only 30 guests of us out of a possible 144. 

Internet is $525 for unlimited.  $120 for 500Mb.  When I crossed the Internet was VERY spotty in the middle. I am sure it is better now, but it is never a guarantee.  

There are no specialty restaurants like there are on big ships. There are two restaurants.  They are free.  It is indoor vs outdoor.  There are also nights when the restaurants are closed and there is only  a Deck (Buffet) BBQ.  Their biggest boat only has 150 cabins. 

You can bring three  750 ml bottles of wine per stateroom for cruises more than 8 days.

All the info on on their website.

There is a hotel service charge of $14.50 per day per person. Or check out the "all-in" package for all-inclusive drinks, internet, laundry, service charge, and internet- $89 per person per day.

I don't think that the Wind Star ship has any different restaurants than the motor boats- Verandah for breakfast and lunch, Candles for dinner (in the Verandah space and by reservation, no extra charge), and Amphora, the main dining room. Also the deck, BBQ one night and on a crossing there will be a variety of special dinners.

If you need a lot of entertainment, Windstar is probably not a good line, especially for a transatlantic. Peace and quiet with chatting up your fellow passengers for grins.

I can't help with internet as we use our time on board to disconnect from the world at large. 😉

Just now, O2B@Cagain said:

There is a hotel service charge of $14.50 per day per person. Or check out the "all-in" package for all-inclusive drinks, internet, laundry, service charge, and internet- $89 per person per day.

I don't think that the Wind Star ship has any different restaurants than the motor boats- Verandah for breakfast and lunch, Candles for dinner (in the Verandah space and by reservation, no extra charge), and Amphora, the main dining room. Also the deck, BBQ one night and on a crossing there will be a variety of special dinners.

If you need a lot of entertainment, Windstar is probably not a good line, especially for a transatlantic. Peace and quiet with chatting up your fellow passengers for grins.

I can't help with internet as we use our time on board to disconnect from the world at large. 😉

Thank you.  I do not need entertainment other than my books, but I do like to run an hour a day and am really worried this may not be right for me... I understand there are 2 treadmills, if both are down I am sunk.

3 minutes ago, msears101 said:

If you are on the MSY Wind Star, the specific ship, - note that it is a small ship.  I have taken it across the Atlantic.  It is not for everyone.  I loved it.  There were only 30 guests of us out of a possible 144. 

Internet is $525 for unlimited.  $120 for 500Mb.  When I crossed the Internet was VERY spotty in the middle. I am sure it is better now, but it is never a guarantee.  

There are no specialty restaurants like there are on big ships. There are two restaurants.  They are free.  It is indoor vs outdoor.  There are also nights when the restaurants are closed and there is only  a Deck (Buffet) BBQ.  Their biggest boat only has 150 cabins. 

You can bring three  750 ml bottles of wine per stateroom for cruises more than 8 days.

All the info on on their website.

Thank you, all of this is helpful.

I know Misty Morning posted the beverage menu, but I'm not sure if anyone has posted the food menu. Amphora changes nightly, but there are always meat, fish, and vegetarian options. Candles is mainly a steak house with maybe 5-6 options?, but always has a fish dish (and different from the ones in Amphora). They serve the sides family style.

If you have only been on Carnival, be prepared for a smaller, more intimate experience.

Edited by O2B@Cagain

Have you also checked out the Wind Surf. Almost Twice as big (around 300 passengers-probably less on a crossing), an extra specialty restaurant ( Stella Bistro).and a nice large lounge mid ship. You tube has some nice videos of both yachts. 

19 hours ago, bgetter said:

Thank you.  I do not need entertainment other than my books, but I do like to run an hour a day and am really worried this may not be right for me... I understand there are 2 treadmills, if both are down I am sunk.

My husband ran five miles every morning on the Wind Surf.  The equipment in the health club was kept in great shape.