Cunard's Coronavirus Cancellations/Refunds (Merged threads)

LittleFish1976

1 hour ago, Onboard Bill said:

Just rang Cunard UK at 0815 GMT and they're not budging on giving an FCC yet.

The complacency that Cunard is showing towards its customers is breathtaking. We have until Friday to decide whether to cancel our two transatlantic crossings in May and June. Our May cruise is past payment date, so already a loss of 50% if we cancel, but June is still on loss of deposit. After Friday it moves to 50%. We have to cancel neither or both and I am not handing more money to this company, so it will be both. If that happens and I lose a significant sum, then I will not cruise with this company again. A FCC would retain my custom.

10 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Just to clarify, are they refusing to give you a FCC? or refusing to give you a refund instead?

As I'd be content simply not to lose money, I only asked for a FCC, for 100% of the money paid for the current cruise departing 28 March. So, I didn't ask about a refund. I imagine that one would be less likely to get that than a FCC.

20 minutes ago, Onboard Bill said:

As I'd be content simply not to lose money, I only asked for a FCC, for 100% of the money paid for the current cruise departing 28 March. So, I didn't ask about a refund. I imagine that one would be less likely to get that than a FCC.

4 minutes ago, downsmead said:

So the USA and UK are applying different solutions! 

Let alone Australia! I'm wondering if they will extend the FCC to both the UK and Australian markets. It will need to happen quickly to avoid further ill-feeling seeing other lines are allowing cancellation for FCC or refund.

Trying to get my head around these permutations - refund, FCC, partial, etc.  Don't we expect a formal notice from Cunard at some point?  Especially to those of us with booked cruises in the near future....

2 cruises booked April May QV not cancelling but in order to clear the mud away just spoke to Cunard UK  meetings are on going and emails will be sent re   any port changes and cancelation policies in next 48 hours  they are also probably waiting for the result of the next UK Cobra meeting  tomorrow

4 minutes ago, sogne said:

2 cruises booked April May QV not cancelling but in order to clear the mud away just spoke to Cunard UK  meetings are on going and emails will be sent re   any port changes and cancelation policies in next 48 hours  they are also probably waiting for the result of the next UK Cobra meeting  tomorrow

Thanks, good to know we'll have clarity soon.

6 minutes ago, sogne said:

There will be many Cobra meetings between now and April to be fair. I think Cunard should tow the line and go the future credit route. We shall see.

8 minutes ago, sogne said:

This sounds sensible. We go in second half of June. No intention of cancelling. If Cunard cancel we will rebook for later in the year. If We are too ill to go, insurance pays out. Not prepared to cancel or get stressed on a what if scenario. Situation far too fluid. Happy to go even if virus still around. Life is not risk free and we could just as easily catch or develop other illnesses or have an accident during the holiday. 

11 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

What is cobra?

It stands for Cabinet Office Briefing Room A within 10 Downing Street and is used for ad hoc crisis management meetings by the UK Government.

Who goes to Cobra meetings?
As well as the Prime Minister, who usually chairs meetings, they are attended by a cross-departmental range of senior ministers, security officials, military chiefs, emergency services leaders and civil servants

17 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

What is cobra?

It is a meeting of leading experts and senior politicians in the UK who meet at a time of crisis in Cabinet Office Briefing Room A in Downing Street.

Edited by majortom10

It stands for Cabinet Office Meeting Rooms A (There’s also meeting rooms B and C, but A is for the most important meetings.

It’s where the senior members of the U.K. government (the cabinet) and other national representatives, depending what the crisis is,  meet whenever there is a national crisis.

25 minutes ago, Dahani said:

It stands for Cabinet Office Briefing Room A within 10 Downing Street and is used for ad hoc crisis management meetings by the UK Government.

Who goes to Cobra meetings?
As well as the Prime Minister, who usually chairs meetings, they are attended by a cross-departmental range of senior ministers, security officials, military chiefs, emergency services leaders and civil servants

It is a bit like trump meeting in the PEOC room in the white house to use those terms. It is were the really serious stuff is discussed. They will meet many times for this virus in the upcoming weeks at which point maybe we will get something from Cunard.

I have just received this tweet from Cunard.  Hopefully our wait will come to an end soon.

Good afternoon, in light of the ongoing Coronavirus situation, Cunard is reviewing its current transfer and cancellation policies to offer greater flexibility for your holiday plans. Full details of which will be published on our website in the coming days.

Just heard the daily update on the virus status here in NY from our Mayor. He was talking about the cruise ship terminal and said don't take a cruise now however if you do and try to get off in NY all passengers will be screened, if they think you have the virus you will be put in isolation. If a NY residence at home, if not in a hospital. They are taking it very serious as calling out the National Guard to isolate a hot spot in New Rochelle for a one mile radius.

2 minutes ago, oatbagg1 said:

so is anyone sailing Cunard canceling their cruises in June or July yet??? 

I have a trip for June 29. Because of the sale if I cancel now I'll loose 9500$. I would like to go but would feel much better about it if I had another option if things don't improve. Right now I am loosing sleep over it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, oatbagg1 said:

I am just worried about my R/T TA on QM2 in May already paid final balance, booked hotel and car parking in Southampton and all I get from Cunard is if you cancel you will lose 50% as per T&Cs. Not impressed at all with Cunard's dithering.

Edited by majortom10

30 minutes ago, oatbagg1 said:

Absolutely not. If it goes ahead and we are virus free we will be on board. Remember- a lot can happen in three months. If we are ill prior to boarding our insurance pays out. If Cunard cancel they pay out. We will

not become part of the too scared to travel  brigade. Chances of being run over on way to work each day are far greater than contracting and dying from coronavirus on our cruise. People need to be realistic and understand that life is not risk free. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Governor of New York just advised people to not go on cruises. He said if you come  into the Port of New York there will be mandatory virus testing for everyone disembarking. It could take a while.

The National Guard has surrounded New Rochelle for a one mile radius as there is a cluster of infection there. . No one can go in or out, schools closed and testing going on. New Rochelle is on  the coast. 

Did you see the press conference or just read something about it? I saw it and don't recall the comment about testing people entering the Port of NY.

No, the plan is not to have the national guard surrounding and blockading New Rochelle. They are there in a community support role, helping with cleaning public spaces, delivering food to quarantined families. The governor is not calling for some kind of martial law.

I watched the press conference. I encourage people to find it on youtube. He made a rational speech, encouraging people to listen to the science. I know he didn't prepare the presentation or the charts; those came from the health department. But it's epidemiology 101. Locate the cluster and deal with it. Science, not fear, not panic. Science. 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1