Cunard's Coronavirus Cancellations/Refunds (Merged threads)

LittleFish1976

19 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Did you see the press conference or just read something about it? I saw it and don't recall the comment about testing people entering the Port of NY.

No, the plan is not to have the national guard surrounding and blockading New Rochelle. They are there in a community support role, helping with cleaning public spaces, delivering food to quarantined families. The governor is not calling for some kind of martial law.

I watched the press conference. I encourage people to find it on youtube. He made a rational speech, encouraging people to listen to the science. I know he didn't prepare the presentation or the charts; those came from the health department. But it's epidemiology 101. Locate the cluster and deal with it. Science, not fear, not panic. Science. 

In the Mayor's press conference today he stated that all arriving passengers from a cruise ship will be checked. Anyone with a temp of 100.4f or higher would go into isolation. Remember they have closed the port before.

2 minutes ago, hypercafe said:

In the Mayor's press conference today he stated that all arriving passengers from a cruise ship will be checked. Anyone with a temp of 100.4f or higher would go into isolation. Remember they have closed the port before.

So checked as in temperature check? Not virus test? 

28 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Cunard is offering a refund in the form of FCC (for US passengers so far). So while you won't get the money back, you will be able to take a cruise to replace the one you booked.

I think the FCC is a fair and reasonable compromise. The cruise lines do not have to give anything beyond what the refund schedule says. They cannot afford to give cash refunds. So they're giving more than they have to, but not as much as passengers would like. 

Right now, all I would get according to the cruise contract is 25%. I know I'll take a cruise or a crossing again, so I'm OK with the FCC. I do wish Cunard were as generous with the time frame as some other lines. 90 days will probably cause me to book something for next year rather than gamble on the fall. But I will get a trip out of this, just not the one I planned on.

They can't afford to give a cash refund? Cunard has $9,500 us dollars of my money and I haven't cost them one cent. Sure I could see a admin fee like some lines charge but if they used that money to fund present cruises it's like a Ponzi scheme or a scam companies short on cash would do. Yes, I know the t&c of the contract but the US government is saying it's a public health emergency, don't go on a cruise ship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oatbagg1 said:

so is anyone sailing Cunard canceling their cruises in June or July yet??? 

Yeah, final payment was two days ago and didn't want to take the risk given the total crickets and tumbleweed from Cunard. I havent managed to get through so I just didn't pay the final payment.

I haven't even had an e-mail off them saying 'We're very busy, please sit tight' which would have been fine.
I am not impressed.

Edited by Pegasus2

17 minutes ago, mcloaked said:

Regarding Bedruthen's repost and the suggestion within that all will be fine in three months once the current crisis is over, it isn't necessarily that simple - see the news item at: 

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-worldwide-peak-will-come-next-winter-scientific-model-predicts-11954441

No one knows what is going to happen at this point. I think we can safely say this the cruise industry will be gone in 18 months if this keeps up. There are lines that will not survive especially if they are forced to cancel sailings themselves in which case they have to refund to cash not FCC.

55 minutes ago, Pegasus2 said:

Yeah, final payment was two days ago and didn't want to take the risk given the total crickets and tumbleweed from Cunard. I havent managed to get through so I just didn't pay the final payment.

I haven't even had an e-mail off them saying 'We're very busy, please sit tight' which would have been fine.
I am not impressed.

What about your deposit? Wont they keep it if you do not cancel?

21 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

I wondr if The Carnival Corp will help keep Cunard afloat? Anyone how much  control they have?

Cunard is a 100% subsidiary of Carnival PLC and Carnival Corp., they have 100% control. Carnival Corp. stock is down 58% on the year,

Another approach

Rather than all these vagaries over contract issues (deposits, refunds, timings, etc.), I'd like Cunard - because we're booked with them - to offer some incentives / perks to encourage people to stay with their existing booking, if possible.
Example: with all the current wave of cancellations, cabin upgrades are a possibility and would cost the line almost nothing.
A sweetened obc. Comp booze. Future cruise credit. There are many possibilities.
Trouble is, while other cruise companies might do something like this (perhaps they already have?) , Cunard's land side operations are in such a hopeless muddle, something like this may never materialize.

I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by Canuker

2 minutes ago, Canuker said:

Another approach

Rather than all these vagaries over contract issues (deposits, refunds, timings, etc.), I'd like Cunard - because we're booked with them - to offer some incentives / perks to encourage people to stay with their existing booking, if possible.

I am not getting any communication except PR that obviously written pre COVID 19, they don't seem to be able to adapt to circumstances and reassure their customers.

1 hour ago, samiam1 said:

I am not getting any communication except PR that obviously written pre COVID 19, they don't seem to be able to adapt to circumstances and reassure their customers.

Sad, isn't it? I did get the "we're monitoring the situation" email a few times, but that was a week ago. Since then it's been business as usual emails. Other lines (HAL, for one) are offering OBC if you keep your reservation. It isn't much, but it's something. 

I can't believe the people at Cunard are unaware of what the competition is doing and how bad they look by comparison. Do they really think they're so special and we're so loyal that it doesn't matter if they don't respond to the situation?????? 

6 hours ago, ace2542 said:

No one knows what is going to happen at this point. I think we can safely say this the cruise industry will be gone in 18 months if this keeps up. There are lines that will not survive especially if they are forced to cancel sailings themselves in which case they have to refund to cash not FCC.

Ha!! Cunard cancelled my 38 day Japan-Alaska cruise and promised a full refund - all I have heard since is crickets!!  My TA is saying that we should expect a longer time for refund than the "usual" 2-3 months!!!! I have $20,000 AUD floating somewhere  in the Ether out there!!!

Anyone else notice that Cunard UK have updated their Covid-19 advice on their website this morning. No, not to bring their cancellation terms in line with other companies. Merely changing the look of it and adding pretty pictures. Talk about as much use as rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Good to see the PR team making efficient use of their time. I despair.

15 minutes ago, Bedruthen said:

Anyone else notice that Cunard UK have updated their Covid-19 advice on their website this morning. No, not to bring their cancellation terms in line with other companies. Merely changing the look of it and adding pretty pictures. Talk about as much use as rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Good to see the PR team making efficient use of their time. I despair.

Email 5 min ago applies to cancellation up to 31 August sliding scale between fc and refund transfer fee waived OBC if you go sliding scale 4 nights number fully ok with us we have 3 cruises before 31 August

Fro

For bookings made before 11 March 2020, and departing before 31 August 2020.

If you’d like to keep your existing booking, your ship and crew are ready and waiting to welcome you. We are pleased to be able to offer you some on board spending money to enhance your holiday; this will be credited to your on board account and can be used for drinks, spa treatments, room service and shore experiences booked on board. The amount you’ll receive depends upon the number of nights you’ll be spending on board with us:

Additional on board spending money per stateroom.

• For voyages of 1-3 nights duration: $150
  • For voyages of 4-7 nights duration: $300
  • For voyages of 8-14 nights duration: $600
  • For voyages of 15+ nights duration: $900

There’s no need to call us; your on board spending money will be added to your account in time for departure and you will receive an updated booking confirmation in due course to confirm this.

Existing and future bookings.

For all bookings with Cunard departing before 31 August 2020.

Transferring your booking.

In these unsettling times, to give our guests reassurance and more appealing options, we have temporarily removed restrictions on our Transfer Policy.

This means that guests, who have a booking on a Cunard fare or Early Saver fare, sailing before 31 August 2020, can now:

• Transfer their booking to any Cunard voyage currently on sale (and not just to those within the next 12 months).
  • Transfer their booking to a voyage of higher or lower value (and not just of a higher value, as is usually the case).
  • Transfer their booking an unlimited number of times (and not just once).
  • Transfer their bookings free of charge, as we will waive the current £100 administration charge for each transfer made.

This can all be done up to 48 hours before departure.

Cancelling your voyage.

Should you wish to cancel your voyage, you’ll be pleased to know we’ve temporarily relaxed our cancellation policy given the circumstances. Here’s a guide to what you need to know:

• If you’re booked on a Cunard voyage sailing before 1 September 2020, you may now cancel up to 48 hours prior to departure.
  • Cancelled bookings will receive a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) equivalent to the cancellation fees and refunds will be given on any remaining monies paid – full details of how this will be applied are outlined in the table below
  • Your Future Cruise Credit can be used on bookings made up to the end of next year (31 December 2021) and can be redeemed against any Cunard voyage sailing until the end of March 2022

Value of refunds and FCC.

The value of the FCC will be equivalent to the value of the original cancellation charges. Please see below how the FCC relates to the period before departure within which notice of cancellation is received by Cunard, for each fare type.

Cunard Fare and Early Saver Fare.

Period before departure within which notice of cancellation is received by Cunard

Original cancellation charges
Percentage of total fare charged

New Temporary Policy (assuming voyage paid for in full by required date)
Percentage of total fare refunded and FCC applied:

From the date of booking until 91 days before departure

100% of deposit

FCC given to value of deposit

90 to 57 days

50% of fare

Refund 50%; FCC 50%

56 to 42 days

60% of fare

Refund 40%; FCC 60%

41 to 16 days

75% of fare

Refund 25%; FCC 75%

15 to 6 days

90% of fare

Refund 10%; FCC 90%

5 to 2 days

100% of fare

Refund 0%; FCC 100%

Less than 2 days

100% of fare

Refund 0%; FCC 0%

*For fly-cruises, departure day is the date of the flight departure.

Saver Fare.

Period before departure within which notice of cancellation is received by Cunard

Original cancellation charges
Percentage of total fare charged

New Temporary Policy (assuming voyage paid for in full by required date)
Percentage of total fare refunded and FCC applied

From the date of booking until departure, including failure to embark

100% of fare

100% FCC

Existing and future bookings.

For all bookings with Cunard departing on or after 1 September 2020.

Transferring your booking.

If you are sailing on or after 1 September 2020 then you can take adavntage of our new flexible transfer policy, but we will require notice prior to balance due date.

This means that guests, who have a booking on a Cunard fare or Early Saver fare, sailing on or after 1 September 2020, can now:

• Transfer their booking to any Cunard voyage currently on sale (and not just to those within the next 12 months).
  • Transfer their booking to a voyage of higher or lower value (and not just of a higher value, as is usually the case).
  • Transfer their booking an unlimited number of times (and not just once).
  • Transfer their bookings free of charge, as we will waive the current £100 administration charge for each transfer made.

Frequently asked questions.

How do I make changes to my booking?
Are there any exclusions to the offer?
When is this offer valid from and to?
How long is the Future Cruise Credit (FCC) valid for?
When will I get my FCC??
What if I have already cancelled?
What if I am travelling after 31 August 2020?
What if only half of my booking wants to cancel?
What about cancellation to ancillary items i.e. Hotel bookings/out of pocket expense etc?
How do I apply the FCC to a new booking?
Can I use the FCC on an existing booking?
Can the FCC be used across multiple voyages?
I would like to split the FCC/On Board Credit with my guest, is that possible?

m Cunard website home page

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, sogne said:

Email 5 min ago applies to cancellation up to 31 August sliding scale between fc and refund transfer fee waived OBC if you go sliding scale 4 nights number fully ok with us we have 3 cruises before 31 August

This is very welcome from Cunard UK, after a frustrating period of silence. I received my email at 0809 hours GMT.

The front page of the Cunard website is now showing all the details of these new "Flexible Booking Terms".