Cunard's Coronavirus Cancellations/Refunds (Merged threads)

LittleFish1976

My judgement is that the cruising industry will be closed down by the summer, probably for the rest of 2020.  I would expect the Cunard ships to remain in Southampton after their next call there.

24 minutes ago, IB2 said:

My judgement is that the cruising industry will be closed down by the summer, probably for the rest of 2020.  I would expect the Cunard ships to remain in Southampton after their next call there.

Oh I don't know.

We watched Ventura pass on her way out last night and Oceana two nights ago. The Cunard fleet has a number of weeks before arriving in their home port.

We Brits can be very innovative when our backs are against the wall.  

You can bet your bottom dollar that those at Carnival House...

DSC_0003.JPG.dfe50442dca056a3958e5c84af7b2e65.JPG

...are busy planning alternatives and the likes: theme cruises anyone?

Edited by Solent Richard

42 minutes ago, IB2 said:

When is the next calling in of the Queen Mary 2 to Southampton?

7 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

When is the next calling in of the Queen Mary 2 to Southampton?

April 18th. She is then scheduled to embark on a westbound crossing, arriving in New York on April 25th.

Edited by bluemarble

31 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

April 18th. She is then scheduled to embark on a westbound crossing, arriving in New York on April 25th.

Ok so if we follow the logic of poster "IB2" then future sailings from April 18th may be axed which would  mean we would be entitled to a FULL REFUND? Because cunard has cancelled them not FCC at 40/60 like we would get if we cancelled the April 25th sailing ourselves?

16 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Ok so if we follow the logic of poster "IB2" then future sailings from April 18th may be axed which would  mean we would be entitled to a FULL REFUND? Because cunard has cancelled them not FCC at 40/60 like we would get if we cancelled the April 25th sailing ourselves?

Yes, if a sailing is canceled, Cunard should offer a full refund.

By the way, in case you haven't heard, Princess Cruises has just suspended its operations for the next 60 days. As I understand it, customers are being offered the opportunity to transfer to another sailing and receive additional FCC or OBC or else they may apply for a full refund.

Also, Viking has canceled cruises through April 30. As I understand it, Viking is offering either 125% FCC for a future cruise or a full refund.

Edited by bluemarble

1 hour ago, IB2 said:

There's also P&O's ships to consider - seven of them.  I'm not sure there would be room for them all in Southampton plus two Cunard ships (assuming the QE is still not returning until 2022)

2 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

There's also P&O's ships to consider - seven of them.  I'm not sure there would be room for them all in Southampton plus two Cunard ships (assuming the QE is still not returning until 2022)

Or all of the crew, for that matter...

What a mess.

3 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

I sincerely hope it doesn’t happen, but wouldn’t it be a sight to see, like the dock strike of the early seventies.

15 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

As others are now posting, one by one the cruise companies are starting to face the inevitable.

There's an optimistic scenario where the worst is over and sailings resume in the autumn.  But my judgement is that it will take several cycles of epidemic and containment/quarantine to defeat this virus.  Even after that, it'll be at large, and I suspect the market for cruises will be somewhat smaller, for some years to come.

Meanwhile the companies have to find berths to port all their ships.

5 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

What about all the port taxes and charges? Would it not be better to lock them up in international waters somehow and use the tender to get the skeleton crew back to shore? If that is doable.

4 minutes ago, IB2 said:

As others are now posting, one by one the cruise companies are starting to face the inevitable.

There's an optimistic scenario where the worst is over and sailings resume in the autumn.  But my judgement is that it will take several cycles of epidemic and containment/quarantine to defeat this virus.  Even after that, it'll be at large, and I suspect the market for cruises will be somewhat smaller, for some years to come.

Meanwhile the companies have to find berths to port all their ships.

Once they find a vaccine it is defeated. That could  be 6 months to a year away though and yes very true the demand for cruising might be lower for a few years. I wonder if and when we will see the announcement of Cunard cancelling the 4th ship given the current climate?

Edited by ace2542

I've just had an email from Cunard telling me there was a mistake in their email re cancellation I received yesterday.

It says that for my voyage M009 Cape Town to Southampton departing on 1 April there will be no additional on board credit. So $900 disappeared overnight!

Just now, ace2542 said:

Once they find a vaccine it is defeated. That could  be 6 months to a year away though and yes very true the demand for cruising might be lower for a few years. I wonder when we will see the announcement of Cunard cancelling the 4th ship given the current climate?

A vaccine needs to be identified (? months), tested (at least six months), and assuming it is signed off as safe, produced in sufficient quantities (at least another six months).  There's no chance of this being available until well into 2021.  And even then, who is to say that it wont turn out like flu to have a variety of strains (some research suggest this is already happening) and so a vaccine wont be fully effective.  Having lots of mostly elderly people in close confinement on a cruise ship wont seem a very attractive proposition for a while, is my guess.

3 minutes ago, IB2 said:

A vaccine needs to be identified (? months), tested (at least six months), and assuming it is signed off as safe, produced in sufficient quantities (at least another six months).  There's no chance of this being available until well into 2021.  And even then, who is to say that it wont turn out like flu to have a variety of strains (some research suggest this is already happening) and so a vaccine wont be fully effective.  Having lots of mostly elderly people in close confinement on a cruise ship wont seem a very attractive proposition for a while, is my guess.

Perhaps with the climate they will shorten the testing phase if they can?. Then again it is always possible that the virus will vanish in the warmer weather like SARS did and never reappear.

2 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Perhaps with the climate they will shorten the testing phase if they can?. Then again it is always possible that the virus will vanish in the warmer weather like SARS did and never reappear.

Believe Coronavirus is actually a SARS, being SARS-CoV-2

20 minutes ago, longton said:

I've just had an email from Cunard telling me there was a mistake in their email re cancellation I received yesterday.

It says that for my voyage M009 Cape Town to Southampton departing on 1 April there will be no additional on board credit. So $900 disappeared overnight!

But you still have the option of cancelling with X% refund plus Y% FCC?

Those leaving from Fremantle to Southampton are being offered 0% refund plus 0% FCC if they cancel, and $0 obc if they don’t.

Edited by Colin_Cameron

12 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

The expert view, in so far as anyone knows right now, is that spread may diminish but is unlikely to reduce during the summer, because Corona starts with a bigger R number than SARS or normal flu.  And if it does disappear, like flu it'll be back in the winter.

Yes, if we cancel up to two days before departure we will get 100% FCC.

I think Cunard will cancel it themselves before then. In this case, I assume we will be entitled to 100% cash refund which will be our preference.

Or they might offer 125% FCC which Seabourn has done. 

Who knows?

1 minute ago, longton said:

Yes, if we cancel up to two days before departure we will get 100% FCC.

I think Cunard will cancel it themselves before then. In this case, I assume we will be entitled to 100% cash refund which will be our preference.

Or they might offer 125% FCC which Seabourn has done. 

Who knows?

Given the state their finances are going to be in, don't be greedy.  Count yourself lucky if you get your money back.

4 minutes ago, IB2 said:

Given the state their finances are going to be in, don't be greedy.  Count yourself lucky if you get your money back.

What would happen to any future cruise credit IF cunard ceases trading or declares chapter 11 as they say in America?

1 minute ago, ace2542 said:

What would happen to any future cruise credit IF cunard ceases trading or declares chapter 11 as they say in America?

How many guesses do you need? 😉

On 3/6/2020 at 12:26 PM, exlondoner said:

Am I the only person who doesn't want to cancel, but is worried Cunard might be forced to?

No, you are not alone!  My husband and I are booked on Queen Victoria from Ft. Lauderdale to Southampton, and I sincerely do not want to cancel this trip!!

• Like 1