Cunard's Coronavirus Cancellations/Refunds (Merged threads)

LittleFish1976

Guest SilverHengroen

So Princess have blanket cancelled all sailings out to May 10th departures 😲 going to be sad to probably see ships laid up like this again:

800px-caroniacarinthia-3.jpg

I wonder if their stablemates including Cunard will follow suit - could Carnival as an entity withstand that sort of hit? 

Website link the above image came from incase anyone is interested: http://www.liverpoolships.org/carinthia_cunard_line.html

Edited by SilverHengroen

Cape town - Southampton Cruise M009

I also had another email from Cunard today saying that the $900 will now not be credited to my OBC after saying yesterday it would be credited. I commented yesterday how it was a goodwill act - Ha Ha

I called Cunard today (20 minute wait) and the girl I spoke to knew nothing about it, she had to speak to a team leader to confirm - unbelievable, their own staff do not know what is happening.

As a shareholder I embarrassed.

Having just watched the PM on TV surely Cunard now have to cancel all cruises with immediate effect, advising everyone over 70 not to cruise that's most people onboard.

I will lose £1500 as I have booked flights/hotels etc but I am going to wait to get a full cash refund from Cunard for the cruise - the customer loyalty with Cunard has gone, once I get my money back I will NEVER SAIL CUNARD AGAIN

Cunard are part of Carnival Princess has cancelled all future cruises, do the right thing Cunard.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Oh I don't know.

We watched Ventura pass on her way out last night and Oceana two nights ago. The Cunard fleet has a number of weeks before arriving in their home port.

We Brits can be very innovative when our backs are against the wall.  

You can bet your bottom dollar that those at Carnival House...

DSC_0003.JPG.dfe50442dca056a3958e5c84af7b2e65.JPG

...are busy planning alternatives and the likes: theme cruises anyone?

Or a Magical Mystery tour cruise to..... Well, if we told you where, it wouldn't be a mystery!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, devonport said:

Cape town - Southampton Cruise M009

I also had another email from Cunard today saying that the $900 will now not be credited to my OBC after saying yesterday it would be credited. I commented yesterday how it was a goodwill act - Ha Ha

I called Cunard today (20 minute wait) and the girl I spoke to knew nothing about it, she had to speak to a team leader to confirm - unbelievable, their own staff do not know what is happening.

As a shareholder I embarrassed.

Having just watched the PM on TV surely Cunard now have to cancel all cruises with immediate effect, advising everyone over 70 not to cruise that's most people onboard.

I will lose £1500 as I have booked flights/hotels etc but I am going to wait to get a full cash refund from Cunard for the cruise - the customer loyalty with Cunard has gone, once I get my money back I will NEVER SAIL CUNARD AGAIN

Cunard are part of Carnival Princess has cancelled all future cruises, do the right thing Cunard.

Based on the PM's advice your travel insurance should pay?

21 minutes ago, VK3DQ said:

Hi 

I doubt if too many of the lines can withstand having  no income for several months ......

Regards

John

I agree but also wonder if the cost of sailing with ships less than half full tips the scales the other direction.  At least if they stand down their operating expenses drop.  Two bad choices, unfortunately. What a mess.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, longton said:

Yes, if we cancel up to two days before departure we will get 100% FCC.

I think Cunard will cancel it themselves before then. In this case, I assume we will be entitled to 100% cash refund which will be our preference.

Or they might offer 125% FCC which Seabourn has done. 

Who knows?

"Seabourn"? What's your source for that, please?

The "COVID-19 – Keeping you updated." page on the Cunard US website has been updated to include the video with Simon Palethorpe which has been on the UK website since yesterday. Unfortunately, as of now, that's all that has been added to the US website as far as I can tell. Mr. Palethorpe states in the video "full details can be found on our website" about Cunard's new flexible booking terms. Not that I can find yet on the US website.

11 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

I agree but also wonder if the cost of sailing with ships less than half full tips the scales the other direction.  At least if they stand down their operating expenses drop.  Two bad choices, unfortunately. What a mess.

Similar to airlines. It costs a lot of money to fly empty planes. Fuel, crew, landing fees and all the rest of it make it prohibitive to fly aircraft with a handful of passengers on them. So, I can't see it being any different for ships.  

3 hours ago, nrc said:

My husband and I have a transatlantic trip booked that sails from Ft. Lauderdale next Tuesday, 3/17.  I am more concerned about getting home from Gatwick than I am about the voyage itself, particularly since there are now restrictions about flights from Europe to the US.  I understand that US citizens are ok to fly from GB airports.

Yes, POTUS says (as of now) you can come home. But you must return through a major US gateway airport, where you can expect to be screened for COVID-19, before being allowed to continue your onward journey into the USA (in your case, Tampa?). 
In March 2019 29% of passengers on inbound flights to the USA originated in Schengen countries. And since you're flying out of unaffected (sorry, unrestricted) UK, your flight should be assured. But I have to say, if it were me, I'd get that all-important boarding pass in my hand just as soon as I could, just be sure, as I'm guessing a lot of Europeans will route through the UK to get to the USA and UK airport may become a bottle neck. 
Another possibility: don't forget us up here in Canada. You could fly in here then get a second plane to Tampa.
You have options.

1 hour ago, SilverHengroen said:

So Princess have blanket cancelled all sailings out to May 10th departures 😲 going to be sad to probably see ships laid up like this again:

800px-caroniacarinthia-3.jpg

I wonder if their stablemates including Cunard will follow suit - could Carnival as an entity withstand that sort of hit? 

Website link the above image came from incase anyone is interested: http://www.liverpoolships.org/carinthia_cunard_line.html

I lived in Southampton when the ocean liner (i.e. pre-cruising) industry collapsed amid the long-distance airlines expansion and the ludicrous, suicidal repetitive strikes by dock workers.
Union Castle Line ships (to & from S.Africa) were roped up three abreast in the New (now Western) Docks. Loads of floating hulks awaiting the scrap merchant's torch.
Sad. The end of an era.

6 minutes ago, devonport said:

I'm under 70 - so will the insurance pay out?

No, sorry I thought you said the PM’s message applied to you.

wait for Cunard to cancel,  they surely will 

1 hour ago, VK3DQ said:

Hi 

I doubt if too many of the lines can withstand having  no income for several months ......

Regards

John

At the risk of going off-topic on this thread (this forum - sorry, Hattie!),
if they do go under (I don't believe they will - they'll bounce back) the order of collapse of the big three would be:
1. NCL
2. RCI

3. CCL

The order is based on the resiliency of their balance sheets to withstand these tempests.
But I reiterate, I'm optimistic that all this will be a glitch in recorded history.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

But what will QM2 do in Australia in winter.

The northern parts of Australia are perfect in winter - calm seas and warm ( actually hot for Brits 🙂 ) - not many ports to stop in though. 

Canuker,

From cancellation notice on Seabourn cruise critic:

As your cruise has been cancelled so close to departure, each guest will also receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to 25% of the cruise fare paid on this voyage. The terms and conditions of this Future Cruise Credit appear below.

1 hour ago, VK3DQ said:

In Australia our winter is far the best time to cruise .. the WET season at Christmas time is by far the worst time to cruise , with good marketing QM2 could have a very good winter season down under ...just look at how fast the QE sailings sold out a few weeks ago

Regards

John

But to be fair - the main reason QE sold out was the ridiculously low prices being offered. I managed to get a Q4 penthouse suite  for the 25 day relocation cruise to Vancouver for the same daily rate as I have paid for an inside cabin for the following cruise out of Vancouver - and with the 25% extra compensation for our cancelled Japan/Alaska cruise taken into account , the daily rate for the Penthouse worked out to be half what I have paid for an inside cabin!! 🙂 I didn't really even want to do the relocation cruise as we have been across the Pacific a few times - but this would have been the only opportunity for us to ever travel in Queens Grill. Looks like it is perilously close to disappearing into the Ether along with our cash payments which may also disappear forever if either Cunard or my TA go belly-up!!! 

15 minutes ago, LGC100 said:

Can you send me the link. Cunard web site still has 4 of the QM2 voyages excluded. 

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/contact-us/travel-health-advisories/flexible-cancellation-policy

scroll down to the bottom where it has questions section, and click on the exclusions line

Edited by PORT ROYAL

Guest SilverHengroen
1 hour ago, Canuker said:

I lived in Southampton when the ocean liner (i.e. pre-cruising) industry collapsed amid the long-distance airlines expansion and the ludicrous, suicidal repetitive strikes by dock workers.
Union Castle Line ships (to & from S.Africa) were roped up three abreast in the New (now Western) Docks. Loads of floating hulks awaiting the scrap merchant's torch.
Sad. The end of an era.

I'm from the Lymington area, though all that was before my time - it must have been a very sad time, and more so because the cruising renaissance to come wouldn't have been clear at that time 🙁 I can see why people thought QE2 would be the last large passenger liner ever built! With 18 ships to be out of service for ~2 months I wonder where the Princess fleet will be laid up? Presumably several different ports globally, but just proceeding to their nearest or would they head for certain large hubs?

2 hours ago, VK3DQ said:

Hi 

Regards

John

1 hour ago, Canuker said:

At the risk of going off-topic on this thread (this forum - sorry, Hattie!),
if they do go under (I don't believe they will - they'll bounce back) the order of collapse of the big three would be:
1. NCL
2. RCI

3. CCL

The order is based on the resiliency of their balance sheets to withstand these tempests.
But I reiterate, I'm optimistic that all this will be a glitch in recorded history.

I would definitely say RCI must be sweating this a bit, they've taken on a lot of debt over the last decade to build their Oasis/Quantum class ships. By comparison Carnival who haven't been on quite such a buying spree are sitting quite pretty. But yes overall it sounds like its going to be a huge knock to try and weather, even for such titanic (N.P.I.) companies.