Cunard's Coronavirus Cancellations/Refunds (Merged threads)

LittleFish1976

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Just wondering.  QM2 was offering segments from Singapore to Fremantle and (originally) Hong Kong to Fremantle.  Those segments would now be boarding in Fremantle and circumnavigating the country without visiting any foreign ports.  Could Australia have cabotage laws which could prevent that?

Roy

Roy, I looked it up and can only see that there was previous legislation some years ago which restricted the movement of cargo but was changed somewhat. I din't go into all the details of it because it did seem to relate purely to the carriage of cargo.

In addition, Cunard regularly has cruises or at the very least, cruise segments which contain only Australian ports.

p.s. I hope your feet continue to improve

Edited by LittleFish1976
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Pear Carr said:

Unfortunately QM2 is currently getting bad press 'It's the honeymoon from hell!' Benidorm actress Crissy Rock 'terrified' as she is quarantined on month-long Queen Mary 2 cruise amid coronavirus fears” Apparently passengers are in panic, according to a ‘friend’ of hers with one passenger fainting yesterday as they don’t know what’s happening or where they are going! I can appreciate the frustration at the change in itinerary and the fact that you will be having no port stops between Dubai and Fremantle, however, the change is in order to avoid coronavirus and is hardly a quarantine situation. Cunard have taken appropriate action in very difficult circumstances and should be commended rather than criticised. Being aboard the QM2 is often holiday enough for me! 

I read that article in the Daily Mail, and agree with you. Very silly woman.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pear Carr said:

Unfortunately QM2 is currently getting bad press 'It's the honeymoon from hell!' Benidorm actress Crissy Rock 'terrified' as she is quarantined on month-long Queen Mary 2 cruise amid coronavirus fears” Apparently passengers are in panic, according to a ‘friend’ of hers with one passenger fainting yesterday as they don’t know what’s happening or where they are going! I can appreciate the frustration at the change in itinerary and the fact that you will be having no port stops between Dubai and Fremantle, however, the change is in order to avoid coronavirus and is hardly a quarantine situation. Cunard have taken appropriate action in very difficult circumstances and should be commended rather than criticised. Being aboard the QM2 is often holiday enough for me! 

My goodness. What a silly woman.

Passengers are frustrated about getting their Australian ETAs on line, but if this is the "honeymoon from hell" we must be on a different ship. We know why the changes were made, we know where we are going, there is bubbly in the Commodore Club, and if you avoid the pursers desk and the internet center where there are some annoyed people, you wouldn't know there was anything different going on. Although I do suppose spending a day at anchor in the Straits of Malacca being refueled is unusual. I am sorry for those passengers who have missed "once in a lifetime" ports, but I am happy that we have such a competent captain. I agree this is not a quarantine situation. She should switch to the Diamond Princess.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, durante said:

I read that article in the Daily Mail, and agree with you. Very silly woman.

She should be banned for life from Cunard for scaremongering! There is no Corona outbreak onboard QM precisely because the ship has avoiding these ports of call and the situation was very fast moving but they have done the best they could under the circumstances and as has been said being onboard the QM2 is a trip in itself.

3 hours ago, safarigal said:

My goodness. What a silly woman.

Passengers are frustrated about getting their Australian ETAs on line, but if this is the "honeymoon from hell" we must be on a different ship. We know why the changes were made, we know where we are going, there is bubbly in the Commodore Club, and if you avoid the pursers desk and the internet center where there are some annoyed people, you wouldn't know there was anything different going on. Although I do suppose spending a day at anchor in the Straits of Malacca being refueled is unusual. I am sorry for those passengers who have missed "once in a lifetime" ports, but I am happy that we have such a competent captain. I agree this is not a quarantine situation. She should switch to the Diamond Princess.

I only had to read "Benidorm Actress Chrissy Rock", someone I've never heard of in a programme I've never watched, to realise it's just another third rate 'celebrity' trying to boost a career by drumming up publicity. I'd chuck her off, mid sea, if I was the captain....

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Nothing to do with gambling or duty free sales in the US. It has everything to do with something called the "Passenger Vessel Services Act", sometimes inaccurately referred to as the "Jones Act". This act prohibits non-US vessels from transporting passengers between two different US ports without visiting a distant foreign port in between. So you'll see Cunard selling a world voyage segment for Southampton-New York and a longer segment for Southampton-New York-Fort Lauderdale. But they are not allowed to sell the segment for New York-Fort Lauderdale.

But Cunard is owned by Carnival Corp - which IS a US company - so I really don't understand... 

The Fremantle port schedule has now been updated to show QM2 arriving at 06:00 on February 18th. So much for that earlier 13:30 arrival time on the 17th that was previously posted there. I suppose QM2 having to be in port for a full day in Port Klang followed by essentially another full day anchored in Port Klang Anchorage might have put an end to plans for an early arrival into Fremantle.

• Thanks 1

On 07 Mar, QE begins  her long voyage from Melbourne Australia to Alaska via various ports in Asia. There are a number of segments involved along the way with passengers joining and departing at a number of Australian and Asian ports. At the moment Cunard has made it clear that they will not be visiting Hong Kong or Shanghai - but over the past 2 weeks several other Asian ports have denied entry to some cruiseships and at this time those boarding in Australia are wondering whether their cruises will be cancelled within the next 3 weeks and others are wondering they should fly to Singapore to join the ship and others wondering if they will be able to get off in Singapore and fly home.  I think that there is a good chance of  Cunard walking away for all of these Asian ports and proceeding directly to Alaska - but how would they "fill in" the time that becomes available. Lots of questions but few answers so far. Not knocking Cunard about this - must be a terribly difficult position that they are in trying to make a decision for the immediate future - but decisions are going to have to be made within the next few weeks and how many people are going to want to go on a cruise where they have no guarantee of being able to debark  where they are/were supposed to debark nor will they be wanting to fly to an Asian port only to be told that the cruise is cancelled. 

On 07 Mar, QE begins  her long voyage from Melbourne Australia to Alaska via various ports in Asia. There are a number of segments involved along the way with passengers joining and departing at a number of Australian and Asian ports. At the moment Cunard has made it clear that they will not be visiting Hong Kong or Shanghai - but over the past 2 weeks several other Asian ports have denied entry to some cruiseships and at this time those boarding in Australia are wondering whether their cruises will be cancelled within the next 3 weeks and others are wondering they should fly to Singapore to join the ship and others wondering if they will be able to get off in Singapore and fly home.  I think that there is a good chance of  Cunard walking away for all of these Asian ports and proceeding directly to Alaska - but how would they "fill in" the time that becomes available. Lots of questions but few answers so far. Not knocking Cunard about this - must be a terribly difficult position that they are in trying to make a decision for the immediate future - but decisions are going to have to be made within the next few weeks and how many people are going to want to go on a cruise where they have no guarantee of being able to debark  where they are/were supposed to debark nor will they be wanting to fly to an Asian port only to be told that the cruise is cancelled. 

We are due to join a round the world cruise that started in England. We are joining it in Sydney next week .PO Arcadia. It has now cancelled all the Asian ports and is going Brisbane, then Tasmania, Melbourne, Adelaide, Albany and Fremantle before heading back on course to a Sri Lanka. I suspect Cunard will do something similar.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
  • Like 2

We are due to sail on QM2 in May and we are starting to consider the implications of the Diamond Princess situation on our future cruise plans. Does anyone know what precautions Cunard have in place to screen people prior to embarkation for the virus and if there are any additional checks being made. It does seem that the temperature checking is not proving to be reliable. 

On a similar topic, has anyone become aware of any recent changes to travel insurance to exclude any costs associated with contracting Coronavirus? 

Whilst not wanting to over react to what is a limited risk, I do have a condition which affects my lungs, so need to exercise some caution.

I would be interested to hear the views of my fellow Cunarders.

We would like to book the October cruise on the QM2 to New England and Canada but are worried that if it is cancelled we would lose our money as I can't see the insurance company paying out for this.  There really are no answers to this as no-one can foresee what will happen with the virus.  Whilst it is mainly in Asia there is no guarantee that it won't spread elsewhere.  The cruise we are looking at is selling out rapidly so we need to make a decision sooner rather than later.  

Just don't know what to do.

4 hours ago, Bedruthen said:

On a similar topic, has anyone become aware of any recent changes to travel insurance to exclude any costs associated with contracting Coronavirus? 

This is what my travel insurance says, it's worth checking your policy.

Travel Insurance - Coronavirus

May I ask for clarification re cancellation of a cruise?  If I book a cruise and then cancel I would have to claim from my insurance company BUT if Cunard was to cancel then presumably my 'claim' would be with them?  And if I'd booked through a travel agent and not direct, again presumably they would deal with Cunard on my behalf?

Am I overthinking this? 😟

Further to concerns on the QE voyage from Melbourne via Asia to Alaska, it  appears that something might be going on.

Yesterday 18/2/2020, Fremantle Ports Cruise ship Schedule added the following movement

Arrival 27/4/2020 Queen Elizabeth 0630

Departure 28/4/2020 Queen Elizabeth 1800

Port of Origin and departure not indicated.

If this is right then looks as though contingency planning may be no travel to Alaska, rather staying in Australia and New Zealand until Mid April and then if coming through Fremantle, most likely then to Colombo then Suez back to the UK or Mediterranean.

QM2 is currently in Fremantle Port, leaving this evening for Darwin after over-nighting here yesterday. Majestic Princess is due in Fremantle on 22/2 with onward cruise to Singapore being terminated here with all pax being offloaded and will now be staying in port for 2 nights when they will then proceed to Singapore for Dry-docking without Pax.

Meanwhile Arcadia rerouted away from Asia will be arriving in Fremantle on 10/3  after traveling around the south coast of Australia for an overnight stay, departing for Colombo on 11/3 when it will resume its previous World Cruise Itinerary.

Meanwhile Princess have formally announced yesterday that Sapphire Princess which is currently in Singapore and due to proceed to Japan is currently cancelling cruises in March and will be relocating to Australia, starting with  a series of 8 cruises from Fremantle on 1 May 2020 including a circumnavigation cruise of Australia later in the year.

All in all a very fluid situation at the moment with a lot of activity at Fremantle Port. Hope for the sake of future guests of Queen Elizabeth that the Fremantle booking is only for contingecies and does not play out. 

• Like 1

I’m onboard QE at the moment and the Captain has just announced the change to Queen Elizabeth’s itinerates for the coming months.

All Asia ports have been cancelled, this also includes the Japanese ports.

They will be replaced by an extended Australia season, starting March 9thwith a 5 day Tasmania cruise.

Others trips to include a couple of New Zealand cruises, a 28 day circumnavigation of Australia, and a trans Pacific to Vancouver.

We have been told we will have full details tomorrow evening, and all new cruises are due to be available to book from Feb 21st.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Laurostar said:

Further to concerns on the QE voyage from Melbourne via Asia to Alaska, it  appears that something might be going on.

Yesterday 18/2/2020, Fremantle Ports Cruise ship Schedule added the following movement

Arrival 27/4/2020 Queen Elizabeth 0630

Departure 28/4/2020 Queen Elizabeth 1800

Port of Origin and departure not indicated.

If this is right then looks as though contingency planning may be no travel to Alaska, rather staying in Australia and New Zealand until Mid April and then if coming through Fremantle, most likely then to Colombo then Suez back to the UK or Mediterranean.

QM2 is currently in Fremantle Port, leaving this evening for Darwin after over-nighting here yesterday. Majestic Princess is due in Fremantle on 22/2 with onward cruise to Singapore being terminated here with all pax being offloaded and will now be staying in port for 2 nights when they will then proceed to Singapore for Dry-docking without Pax.

Meanwhile Arcadia rerouted away from Asia will be arriving in Fremantle on 10/3  after traveling around the south coast of Australia for an overnight stay, departing for Colombo on 11/3 when it will resume its previous World Cruise Itinerary.

Meanwhile Princess have formally announced yesterday that Sapphire Princess which is currently in Singapore and due to proceed to Japan is currently cancelling cruises in March and will be relocating to Australia, starting with  a series of 8 cruises from Fremantle on 1 May 2020 including a circumnavigation cruise of Australia later in the year.

All in all a very fluid situation at the moment with a lot of activity at Fremantle Port. Hope for the sake of future guests of Queen Elizabeth that the Fremantle booking is only for contingecies and does not play out. 

QE is staying in OZ for the moment and then doing a transpacific from Australia  to Vancouver for the Alaska season