Cunard's Coronavirus Cancellations/Refunds (Merged threads)

LittleFish1976

41 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I thought deposits were refundable for US bookings ?

Hi Host Hattie! You are correct, the deposits are refundable until  payment in full. After that, if you cancel, it costs 25% of cruise and/or deposit, if you cancel between payment in full (120 days) and 91 days from sailing. 

The US State Department has just issued a statement that "US citizens, particularly those with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship."  The statement goes on to summarize the CDC's advice (Center for Disease Control) to avoid "increased risk," followed by the statement that "this involves avoiding non-essential travel such as long plane trips, and especially avoiding embarking on cruise ships."  

The clear implication is that the advice to avoid cruise ships comes from or is endorsed by the CDC, but the statement does not actually say so.  In light of the past conflicts between the CDC and the State Department on virus issues, one may well be skeptical.  [Note: When I wrote this I was unaware of the "Meet the Press" comments attributed to Dr. Fauci, and I still have not seen a verbatim transcript.]  Regardless, however, this is what the State Department is advising.

Edited by Neuhoftraveler

We are booked on the QM2 for our first Cunard cruise in May and I could not be more unimpressed and disappointed in Cunard’s lack of response regarding what their bottom line cancellation policy is going to be.  So their answer on Facebook is to waste hours sitting in a phone line trying to wring an answer out of them?  Unbelievable.

Edited by GeorgiaPeach51
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

We are booked on the QM2 for our first Cunard cruise in May and I could not be more unimpressed and disappointed in Cunard’s lack of response regarding what their bottom line cancellation policy is going to be.  So their answer on Facebook is to waste hours sitting in a phone line trying to wring an answer out of them?  Unbelievable.

My first Cunard cruise was to be-in Sept. sent them an email advising them I wont make the final payment 4 months in advance. The silence is deafening. 

• Like 1

They have said that they will refund their cancelled cruises in Japan - haven't seen any money yet nor heard anything further at all. A lot seems to depend on whether you booked direct with Cunard or used a Travel agent - and whether you used a credit card or not. I have already booked and paid in full for two future cruises on the basis of their promise of a refund - stupid me!!!!

It’s official...the US State Dept has issued tonight a travel advisory on cruise travel, along the lines of CDC’s recommendation:

Passengers on Cruise Ships

U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship.  CDC notes increased risk of infection of COVID-19 in a cruise ship environment. In order to curb the spread of COVID-19, many countries have implemented strict screening procedures that have denied port entry rights to ships and prevented passengers from disembarking.  In some cases, local authorities have permitted disembarkation but subjected passengers to local quarantine procedures.  While the U.S. government has evacuated some cruise ship passengers in recent weeks, repatriation flights should not be relied upon as an option for U.S. citizens under the potential risk of quarantine by local authorities.  

This is a fluid situation.  CDC notes that older adults and travelers with underlying health issues should avoid situations that put them at increased risk for more severe disease.  This entails avoiding crowded places, avoiding non-essential travel such as long plane trips, and especially avoiding embarking on cruise ships.  Passengers with plans to travel by cruise ship should contact their cruise line companies directly for further information and continue to monitor the Travel.state.gov website and see the latest information from the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html

Also, there is a very good article from the Miami Herald on this recent advisory: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article241013416.html

Edited by Meliador
  • Like 2

I wonder what's worse for the cruise industry, pictures of ships off shore that are not allowed to dock or ships tied up out of service till this passes. In a public emergency where the government tells you not to go on a cruise how can a company keep your money for following directions. I also believe a FCC under these circumstances is not proper.

• Like 1

In my opinion, this advisory might imply that if I choose to cruise and the ship is quarantined in some port across the world, the US gov’t might not be so inclined to evacuate me and quarantine me at a US military base...(“we told you so”). Of course this would exclude those already at sea.

26 minutes ago, hypercafe said:

I also believe a FCC under these circumstances is not proper.

I agree with Hypercafe, it would be difficult to exclusively provide for FCC, under the circumstances. The next weeks are going to be  challenging, particularly  for any fledging cruise line or cruise lines that just launched new ships in service.

i again checked the Cunard website this morning (US time) and did not see any update on cancellation policy.

Edited by Meliador
Typo

An official government advisory, as opposed to a recommendation, has ramifications for travel insurance. The rules may be different in the U.S., but with Canadian travel policies which include medical and cancellation insurance the official advisory is important.  Policy-holders must cancel their trip and will be refunded by the insurance company. Further, if people ignore the advisory and travel anyway they will not be covered for medical claims.

So far I have not seen an official advisory from the Canadian government. With air transportation being arranged for the 200+ Canadians on the Grand Princess I suspect it won't be long before something official is released.

• Like 1

Cunard talks about screening people before boarding and taking their temp. If they were just exposed they would have no temp above normal but after seven days would have spread the virus. If the CDC says you should not go on a cruise ship them that's it. I didn't cost Cunard any money except what it cost them to have a person make my reservation so if they want a 100$ anmin fee pp I see that but to keep my 10k because I want to follow the CDC recommendation is unjust.

• Like 1

Just got off the phone with Cunard.  They are offering 50% future cruise credit on the non refundable portion of our 2  cruises set to leave on March 17 and April 18th.   I can't believe they are not matching what Carnival, Princess,  Royal, Celebrity are offering.  We are in the high risk category (over 60 with underlying health issues).  We will lose thousands of dollars if they don't offer a full credit.   I will NEVER cruise with them again if that happens!

26 minutes ago, lvmypug said:

Just got off the phone with Cunard.  They are offering 50% future cruise credit on the non refundable portion of our 2  cruises set to leave on March 17 and April 18th.   I can't believe they are not matching what Carnival, Princess,  Royal, Celebrity are offering.  We are in the high risk category (over 60 with underlying health issues).  We will lose thousands of dollars if they don't offer a full credit.   I will NEVER cruise with them again if that happens!

That is ridiculous. Why aren't they following the now industry standard, or even that of their parent company? They don't need to be causing people stress. I'm sorry this is happening to you.

Edited by juicyjuju
typo
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, lvmypug said:

Thanks for posting the info.  I presume that we're on the same 17 March QV cruise. Not happy with Cunard - several friends booked with other lines for March/April cruises have received a 100% future cruise credit.  It's not just the cruise - I have several weeks of touring scheduled once I get to Southampton.  If what's happening in Italy spreads throughout Europe, we'll just have try to change our flights and come right back.  I'd much rather postpone and do the full trip at a later date.

18 minutes ago, samiam1 said:

I booked my June 2020 Transatlatic a year ago and paid within the 4 month window but seems the 90 days period was in effect when I booked?

Most cruise lines increased the final payment date last year. Basically offering a reduced rate but implanting non refundable deposits and longer final pay dates. 

5 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

This tells me that as a smaller cruise line Cunard does not have the financial backing todo what Princess does. Cause for concern for sure. Sorry you are in this position. 

Neither Cunard nor P&O are offering anything to their BRITISH customers other than their standard terms. We have two transatlantic crossing booked, out to New York in May, returning to the U.K. in June.  If we cancel today, we lose $2000, if we wait until next weekend we lose $3500. I am not aware of any UK travel insurer who offers cancel for any reason insurance, so the British cruisers really are being badly treated by these two companies and cannot use travel insurance to recoup their losses, unless they are declared medically unfit to travel.

18 minutes ago, Peggy Tuten said:

Thanks for posting the info.  I presume that we're on the same 17 March QV cruise. Not happy with Cunard - several friends booked with other lines for March/April cruises have received a 100% future cruise credit.  It's not just the cruise - I have several weeks of touring scheduled once I get to Southampton.  If what's happening in Italy spreads throughout Europe, we'll just have try to change our flights and come right back.  I'd much rather postpone and do the full trip at a later date.

I've been plotting the number of covid-19 cases for Italy, UK, France and Germany. They are all increasing at the same exponential rate. What's happening in Italy is very much happening in the other countries; it's just that Italy started sooner. France and Germany are about 8 days later than Italy. The UK is about 4 days after France and Germany.

I too am very frustrated with Cunard and would like a FCC for my March 28th cruise, by which time the number of UK cases could easily be more than 10,000. I imagine customer loyalty to Cunard is taking a bit of a knock.