Viking Cruises Solo Option?

Karina007

Hi, I am going on my first Viking cruise (solo) next month.  Once in a while they have solo supplement reductions--but it's rare and still pretty high.  I think I paid 167 or 175% of the one-person-in-a-two-person cabin fare.

The best advice I got on it was to subscribe to their emails and watch them like a hawk because sometimes they advertise reduced single supplements.  It's never in the title of the email in my experience so you have to read all the way through all of them just in case!  And they tend to mark them down within 90 days of sailing date, on cruises that are not selling as well as they would like.

• Like 2

I've been investigating Viking also as the ships are beautiful.  Unfortunately they are so popular that they don't have much incentive to discount for solos.  As bottomfeeder mentioned it's rare and fleeting to get even the 175% rates.  I have resigned myself to the fact that if I want to sail on them I will have to pay double.  Their double fares are pretty much over my budget so probably won't be sailing Viking anytime soon.  Too bad as they look very nice.

~Nancy

• Like 1

If you're looking for river cruises, Vantage Travel has similar itineraries as Viking. Some of Vantage's boats have cabins that are solely for singles. They're small, but doesn't matter much on a river cruise as you hardly spend any time other than sleeping.

11 hours ago, oakridger said:

I've been investigating Viking also as the ships are beautiful.  Unfortunately they are so popular that they don't have much incentive to discount for solos.  As bottomfeeder mentioned it's rare and fleeting to get even the 175% rates.  I have resigned myself to the fact that if I want to sail on them I will have to pay double.  Their double fares are pretty much over my budget so probably won't be sailing Viking anytime soon.  Too bad as they look very nice.

~Nancy

Hello Nancy,

Yes... Viking looks like it has the best aesthetics of all of the cruise lines that I have perused.

I also like that it seems geared toward introverts or intellectuals.

The no children policy is what really caught my eye 🙂

So, which one of their cruises are you interested in? 

Good morning, I have taken 2 river cruises and will be going on another one in April. Mine were on AMA and Uniworld.

I know AMA has cabins on them with prices for the solo cruiser that have no SS attached to them. From doing research, I believe other cruise lines offer the same thing. You might contact the specific

cruise line directly about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I live in the UK and have done two Viking  river cruises with my husband when he was alive. Imperial jewels of China and The grand European tour.

I have done several Viking river cruises as a solo traveller.

Lyon and Provence, Tulips and windmills, Passage to Eastern Europe and Portugal's

rivers of gold. I am going on Paris to the Swiss Alps in March.

If you book the standard F category, you pay 50% single supplement.

I've met a lot of fabulous Americans and Canadians who were very kind to me.