Do you pack sneakers?

sydbarrett

17 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

One of the things I inherited from my father (other than my great looks) was severe ingrown toenails.  The best solutions was to surgically remove those.  I don't wear open toed shoes.  I'm not a pool/beach person so it's no great loss.  I did get a big kick out of the person who offered me a discount pedicure.

A pedicure offers so much more foot care than just getting your toenails clipped that it might be worth taking them up on the offer 😉 

I take athletic shoes, but ONLY for the gym.  We never walk enough on Caribbean cruises to warrant wearing the ashore.  For that I have very comfortable sandals with good arch support.  OP:  What is the "just in case" that compels you take them?

For Med cruises, where we often to much more walking in port than we do on Carib cruises, I have some cute Vionic sneakers (not athletic shoes) that I take.

If I didn't take my trail runners with me on ANY vacation, I'd be like a fish out of water!!  Those and a pair of my Jambu shoes and I can take on anything or situation I'd encounter on a typical vacation.  If the trip warrants, I'll add in my mid hiking boots to the mix.  I'm not a fashion person, I am a person who needs shoes that work for my foot needs.   

• Like 2

My (our) watershoes are very like perforated sneakers, and I plan to pack only those for the So.Pacific.

I mean, in terms of lace-up shoes.

We will also take buckle-sandals (aka "hiking sandals") and probably something slip-on for around the ship.

I haven't brought sneakers on a cruise ever.  I'm not sure I've ever taken them on any vacation other than to Disney in cooler months.  I've never needed them and never regretted not taking the packing space for them. 

I've found that with a very few exceptions (things like Advil and Immodium) when it comes to packing, if you aren't sure that you'll need it, you won't.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2020 at 3:30 AM, crystalspin said:

My (our) watershoes are very like perforated sneakers, and I plan to pack only those for the So.Pacific.

I mean, in terms of lace-up shoes.

We will also take buckle-sandals (aka "hiking sandals") and probably something slip-on for around the ship.

I have a pair of walking shoes that are a MaryJane style but made out of the same type of fabric you describe.  They worked great in French Polynesia in the water and out--just make sure to rinse them out really well with fresh water each day as the salt water makes them stiff and kind of "sticky."  

• Thanks 1

On 2/21/2020 at 11:10 AM, RocketMan275 said:

I guess you would call my go to shoes sneakers, they're made by Nike.  You can thank me for not wearing sandals.  I've had all my toenails removed which means I would have to wear socks with the sandals.

My husband has some of the same issues (marathon runner for a couple decades) and he wears a fisherman's style sandal.  They allow his feet to breath while covering his toes.  He has a pair in leather that are nice enough to wear to dinners and another pair in a sport type material that dry in a flash that he wears for everything else in warmer climates.  He'll take both to Cuba later this year and be covered for day and night.  🙂 

• Like 1

I wear my sneakers on the flight.  as my feet swell with flying, this helps me to keep the swelling down.  also, I love to walk the upper deck in the early morning and my sneakers are required for this.  flip flops don't work.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just make sure you have a 2nd pair of walking shoes.  On the first day last year, I rubbed blisters on my heels walking in St. Thomas with my Sketchers.  Thank goodness I had a pair of Walmart slip-on Keds-type sneakers as back up along with my evening shoes.  I put big band-aids on but my heels wouldn't tolerate the Sketchers for more than a second.  So the slip-ons went on tours on the other islands.

I do like to exercise and the best type of walking shoe happens to be a running sneaker b/c of the cushion and support.  That being said, I usually pack an older "retired" pair of my running sneakers (I save them when buying new ones) and wear them on the cruise and then leave them behind with a note to either (use or throw out).  It lightens the load in the suitcase and leaves more room to pack gifts.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I take Salomon’s to use in the gym, any hikes that my Olukai flip flops won’t handle (very few), and for water shoes.   I don’t take sneakers To the Caribbean because I don’t know when I would wear them.  I have taken them to Asia and Europe, but usually they are sturdy enough to use for hiking, such as Keens. Everything I pack has multiple uses. 

what are you thinking you would use the sneakers for?   I pack as lightly as possible and don’t take anything if I don't have a need for it,

• 2 weeks later...

On 2/21/2020 at 12:54 PM, Anita Latte said:

Are you a long distance runner? People get wiggy about their perceived abnormalities...and want to hide them to avoid the negative reactions of others...but do you really never show your feet in public now? I’m sorry you “can’t” wear sandals.

Maybe it is a physical sensitivity issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I wear mine to fly, for deck walking (I try to walk 4 miles on sea days), and in the gym (if I can't get outside for deck walking I'll hop on the treadmill or elliptical)

I might wear them in ports, but I have a pair of waterproof walking sandals and a good pair of walking shoes.  Sometimes I bring both, sometimes neither ... depends on what we're doing.  Even in the Caribbean.

• 4 weeks later...

I always wear sneakers--usually Sketchers the last few years--on the plane., so I don't have to pack them.  I do a lot of walking on the ship for exercise and often quite a bit of walking in ports as well.

I prefer more supportive walkers, but like the sketchers for looks and ability to slip on and off easily.

So far I haven't found a pair of sandals that fit me right that stand up to several miles of daily walking.  I bring sandals, but not flip flops as they always hurt my feet and look dumb with my bunions.

• 1 month later...

Always wear my nice sneaks on the flight down and back. They come in very handy walking around the islands, plus I wear them in and around the ship. 

LOVE my nice sneakers on a cruise gotta wear them on the plane to and from FLL, ever try and pack a pair of size 14 high tops in your luggage?🤭

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2020 at 3:01 PM, fyree39 said:

If I plan on walking a lot, I bring sneakers. If I'm flying, I'll absolutely, positively wear sneakers on the plane.

One time, in 16 cruises, did I not wear lace up sneakers on the plane.  My feet swelled up so badly I had to wear flip flops for the day before and for 2 days after we boarded because I couldn't even get my feet into sandals.  And it was only a 2 hour flight!.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...