Disembark San Diego and embark LA the same day?

Suzanne123

1 minute ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

Rent a car, and pray for no traffic issues. It's a 2 hour drive if traffic is humming along.

Agree and it might happen early on a Saturday or Sunday morning. Best plan on 4 hours and hope for 3.   

Spookwife - you must drive really fast.  😋

18 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

And how close is it in San Pedro?

A reasonable Uber. 

I thought it went to Long Beach, but it looks like the closest stations are Anaheim or Fullerton, then downtown LA.

Edited by Underwatr
  • Like 1

I'll address your last point - there is something to be said for a B2B - have you ever done one? Fabulous, especially if you get the same cabin for both legs and don't have to move your things. 😊 If you did plan to take the S2S (side-to-side, which is what some on the boards call it, when you disembark one ship to embark on another the same day), wouldn't you feel rushed to get off and then try to get to San Pedro in good time? As mentioned, the LA traffic can be horrendous and I also wouldn't attempt the train.

If you did a Princess B2B, would the itinerary be different or the same? Just curious. I see both possibilities for various dates in 2020, assuming it is this year.

I think you have to consider the cost, your time, your stress level, your comfort zone, and then make the decision yourself. 

I'm a control freak so I would rent a car and drive if the cost savings is much greater than UBER.  I would look at drop off at Orange County or Long Beach airport and UBER from there.  Most times drop off at airports for one way rentals is cheaper.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2020 at 11:01 AM, charlie murphy said:

Check  a flight from SD to LAX , john wayne, or long beach

I am fairly sure there are no non-stops from SAN to either SNA or LGB and I'd rather drive from SAN to San Pedro than try to fly to LAX and get a ride to San Pedro.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't call Amtrak "unreliable"....; however, it doesn't go very close to San Pedro.  The train ride is quite enjoyable, far better than driving.  Besides being a very scenic route along the ocean, they have a snack car for lunch/beverages.

One option is to go from San Diego and get off at the Santa Ana Station or just Uber to the port from Union Station.  

I've taken the city bus a few times from the Port of Los Angeles to Union Station.   It took a little over an hour each time, and you only change buses once.

I wouldn't recommend it with luggage, or the opposite way since there are so many bus stops/lines in downtown LA.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY

On 2/25/2020 at 11:01 AM, charlie murphy said:

Check  a flight from SD to LAX , john wayne, or long beach:

I would rather poke my eyes out.  San Diego airport is the worse for amenities and TSA.  You could rent a car, drive to LA area, drop off the car, and be on the ship before you even took off from San Diego.    

Flying to LA doesn't get you there any faster than any of the other options....and those flights are often canceled.

Renting a car one-way can be very expensive.

I would look into a shared van or contracted driver.

David

According to you?   I live 300 feet from the tracks, and I can hear every train, every day.

The first northbound at 4:30 am weekdays (5:15 am weekends) and the last at 12:25 pm southbound.

Rarely are there delays.

You can check for yourself at www.amtrak.com  which provides real time train information.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY

On 5/8/2020 at 8:24 PM, DAllenTCY said:

According to you?   I live 300 feet from the tracks, and I can hear every train, every day.

The first northbound at 4:30 am weekdays (5:15 am weekends) and the last at 12:25 pm southbound.

Rarely are there delays.

You can check for yourself at www.amtrak.com  which provides real time train information.

David

In 2018 the Pacific Surfliner was given a "Fail" rating due to their low on time number of 78%.

I wouldn't take the risk or the additional time it would take.