Just back Form The Sky Princess B2B East & West Caribbean

Woobstr112G

2 hours ago, Woobstr112G said:

Yes, a little dated.  The radio for instance, where you could plug an IPhone into still had the old style (non lightning) mount.  The furnishings also seemed a little dated but were clean and in good repair.  I would not hesitate however to book another pre-cruise stay at the Lago Mar.....😊😊😊

Bob

Thank you sir.

13 hours ago, Woobstr112G said:

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have finished updating all of my pictures and the patters to my Flickr page.  If you'd care to take a look at them, please click on he below link......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25882507@N08/albums/72157713075779993

Bob

Wow, Bob, the pictures.  Just WOW.  We are on the Sky shortly and your pictures just make me want to get on sooner.  Thanks for posting.  

13 hours ago, Woobstr112G said:

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have finished updating all of my pictures and the patters to my Flickr page.  If you'd care to take a look at them, please click on he below link......

Bob

Thanks for the link to your great photos .

On 2/9/2020 at 1:24 PM, Woobstr112G said:

Hello everyone.  Below is the review I submitted to CC.  Next up for Holli & I hopefully is a 14 day R/T to Alaska on the Golden in May.

Hope all are well.....

DW and I just returned from our Western Caribbean cruise on the Sky Princess.  We also did the preceding Eastern Caribbean itinerary to make this our first B2B cruising experience.    This was our 21st overall cruise and 14th in a row on Princess.  Prior to this cruise we had active and informative roll call threads.  It is my belief that roll calls are a great way to plan and prepare for your cruise and to get to know everyone else sailing with you.

For our pre-cruise activities, we stayed at the Hotel Lago Mar in Ft.  Lauderdale for two nights.  The hotel was quite nice and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.  For our two day stay, we mainly hung out and just relaxed.  I did have a mishap during the stay wherein I tripped over a large boulder and banged up my right leg.  

On embarkation day, I hired a private car to take us on our short drive to the cruise terminal.  We arrived at the terminal and made our way onboard very quickly.  The Medallion is now used for check in (this was a Medallion class voyage).  It was extremely efficient as we were actually onboard the Sky less than 30 minutes after arriving at the terminal.  Getting off and on the ship on turnaround day was also a breeze.

For both voyages we had Penthouse (PH) suites on the Riviera deck.  For the first leg we had R615 and for the second we had R607.  The cabins were only three apart from each other so moving on turnaround day was a breeze.  For both voyages our cabin steward was Allen from the Philippines.  Allen was great and always kept our cabins clean.  He always had a smile on his face and did everything he could to ensure we did not go wanting for anything.  The location of the cabins were ideal for us as they were close to the aft elevators as well as having a self service laundry and Concierge Lounge right outside our cabin.  There was never any noise issues associated with passengers entering/exiting either venue.  

Now for the Sky Princess.  Overall it is a very beautiful ship.  A plus is that it is brand new.  One thing I noticed and appreciated was the updated decor in the cabins and some public areas. I really like the way Princess Live and the Vista lounge were redesigned.  The Piazza was once again an impressive place to spend some time.  I spent a decent amount of time walking around taking a lot of pictures of this big beautiful ship.

As far as service goes, it was excellent.  Every crew member I had an intersection with, except an aloof head waiter in the World Fresh Market Place,  always had a smile on their face and did everything they could to get my questions answered and any situation resolved.

For nightly dining, I found the quality of the food to be overall good to very good (with an exception listed below); nothing was really great.  We dined mostly with other CC friends in anytime dining.  We got a beeper each night, but never waited more that thirty minutes to be called.  We did try Club Class one time.  Service was great.  For a couple of meals in the MDR (ATD), I tried a couple of Crown Grill Select items.  The first was a ribeye that was pretty bad.  The second offering was surf and turf combination (Filet & Lobster).  The filet was barely good and the lobster was laughable.  It was basically the size of a large shrimp.  Lastly we did eat at Sabatini's one night.  The service was great but the food was not as good as I remembered it on the Star (2018 with the new menu). We did enjoy Sabatini's for breakfast a number of the times and found both the service and food to be very good.  We also ate several times at Alfredo's.  This venue continues to be a great free dining experience.

As far as the World Fresh Market Place goes, I was very disappointed with pretty much everything.  The layout was sometimes confusing.  The overall quality of the food was bad.  I have a big thing about hot food being hot and hot dishes in the WFMP were slightly warm at best.  The selections were very repetitive as I saw the same items pretty much everyday.  I know food is a very subjective issue but these were my personal observations.  

I cannot comment on the production shows as we did not attend them.  I did hear comments on both sides of the fences from other passengers.  I did watch several entertainers in the Piazza.  I found one who was a "Steel Pan" musician to be very good.

We did not do many excursions on the two cruises due to my banged up leg.  For Princess Cays, I just got off the ship and walked around taking pictures.  We did do a ship sponsored sunset sail excursion in St. Thomas.  For St. Maarten, I just got off the ship and walked around a bit taking more pictures.   I did the same in Grand Cayman, and Roatan.  In Belize we both got off the ship and walked around a bit.  Did the same also in Cozumel.

In closing, I'd have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this cruise. Next up, hopefully is a 14 day R/T to Alaska from Los Angeles (San Pedro) in May on the Golden.  Princess, at least for us, continues to provide a great experience for a competitive price. Sure there are some hiccups every now and then but overall it remains our line of choice for the foreseeable future.

Bob

We did not get confused at all in the buffet. We liked the way it was laid out and never had to wait for anyone. Service was excellent. Tables always available. In the evening, place mats and stemmed glasses. What a nice touch for any buffet. All utensils including a soup spoon wrapped int he napkin on the tables ready for you. We thought the taste of almost all the food was very good to excellent. But we do agree on one thing. The temperature of the food was barley warm and I hate that also. Sent my review to Princess and they called me. Said they will notify the correct person about the temperature of the food. We did find one location for super hot soup. It was the only soup that had covers on them and napkins wrapped around the handles. Now the deserts on the other had were nice and cold like they should be and very delirious, nice verity every day. For all those that agree about the temperature of the food. Here is the problem. The pans open to the air conditioning which is very cold in there they are on a hot tray. So only the bottom gets somewhat hot. I dig to the bottom for my food. Many other cruise lines the pans sit in super hot water below the top. About 1/3 of the pot is above Once the temperature of the water is set. Everything stays the same. Nice and hot. Many ships are turning to the hot plates, it is safer not better.

14 hours ago, Woobstr112G said:

Bob

Hi Bob,

Great review and fabulous photos. I felt like I was on the cruise with you.😁

Tony

16 hours ago, Woobstr112G said:

Bob

Fantastic pictures!  I can't imagine how much work it took to do this but it is most appreciated!

Thank you for sharing your vacation photos on Flickr. I especially appreciated the interior photos of the Sky as my DH and I have a November cruise booked on the ship. Your photos have provided a bit of a preview as to what we may experience on board.

Any photos of you and your DW, especially dressed for formal night ?

I have noticed in the photos of the your suite and on other cruise photos that you have posted, there is always a vase of red roses in the cabin. Are they an Elite perk or a gift from you ? Either way, they are a nice touch and I am certain that your  DW appreciates  the flowers !

3 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Thank you for sharing your vacation photos on Flickr. I especially appreciated the interior photos of the Sky as my DH and I have a November cruise booked on the ship. Your photos have provided a bit of a preview as to what we may experience on board.

Any photos of you and your DW, especially dressed for formal night ?

I have noticed in the photos of the your suite and on other cruise photos that you have posted, there is always a vase of red roses in the cabin. Are they an Elite perk or a gift from you ? Either way, they are a nice touch and I am certain that your  DW appreciates  the flowers !

It is a tradition I do.  Every cruise, Holli gets roses to celebrate the start of our cruise.  I pay for them.....

Bob

• Like 2

One thing I forgot to mention earlier during my live from concerning suites (at least on the Sky).  In the past you get fresh flowers in your room.  The successor to this was an orchid.  The now have fake succulent plants instead of real flowers or orchids. The only real plants would be ones (flowers) you would purchase.....

Bob 

4 hours ago, Woobstr112G said:

The only real plants would be ones (flowers) you would purchase.....

Bob 

Sir, I always try to do this the last day, before it no longer shows on the cruise personalizer. A game I play but oh it is fun!!!!

Jim😉😎

On 2/9/2020 at 5:04 PM, 1emerald1 said:

Thanks for the quick response, I will check them out.  When the port is busy it can be a nightmare just even trying to get a cab, let alone bell service from the hotel.

We have sailed from Ft. Lauderdale many times and all the places we've stayed (national chains) offered shuttles to the cruise terminal at a reasonable price and in an efficient manner.

Edited by BarbinMich

16 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

We have sailed from Ft. Lauderdale many times and all the places we've stayed (national chains) offered shuttles to the cruise terminal at a reasonable price and in an efficient manner.

Thanks, I stay at the Hilton Marina and have never noticed shuttle service.  I'll verify next time I stay there.

Can you tell me if the main pool has a dome over it? Doing the Transatlantic on Sky Princess

in April, heading to Copenhagen. If there's a dome, we can sit by the pool and sunbathe the first week. We did the Transatlantic to Rome last year, and were expecting it to be cold after day 1, but with the dome, it was beach weather till we hit the Azores. I called Princess and they didn't know! This way I'll know whether to bring more summer clothes. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Jupgirl said:

Can you tell me if the main pool has a dome over it? Doing the Transatlantic on Sky Princess

in April, heading to Copenhagen. If there's a dome, we can sit by the pool and sunbathe the first week. We did the Transatlantic to Rome last year, and were expecting it to be cold after day 1, but with the dome, it was beach weather till we hit the Azores. I called Princess and they didn't know! This way I'll know whether to bring more summer clothes. Thanks!

There are two main pools on lido deck. Not covered.