Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
yvr49

Cobh to Blarney by bus?

Recommended Posts

Is it easy to get from Cobh to the town of Blarney by bus or taxi, and is there enough to see and do there other than the castle itself?   What would be the approximate cost for bus or cab?  Thanks for your help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The castle gets crowded,the later you go, just be prepared for doing DUCK WALK all the way to top, we did not kiss stone, lots of laughing around and we just Stepped OVER the laying person, OK to get around line for the kiss. There is a big store/woolen mill right by to walk to, has food & bar there, big store of woolens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, yvr49 said:

Is it easy to get from Cobh to the town of Blarney by bus or taxi, and is there enough to see and do there other than the castle itself?   What would be the approximate cost for bus or cab?  Thanks for your help.

Train from Cobh to Cork city, then bus from Cork to Blarney would be possible.

The gardens around the castle are beautiful and worth more time than the castle!

Also there is a large woollen mill shop and adjoining hotel and food outlets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, yvr49 said:

Is it easy to get from Cobh to the town of Blarney by bus or taxi, and is there enough to see and do there other than the castle itself?   What would be the approximate cost for bus or cab?  Thanks for your help.

Train from Cobh to Cork takes approx 30 minutes and the return fare is €7 (euro).  You cannot prebook train tickets and there is no ticket office, so you need to join the queue to purchase tickets from the machine.

Walk from Cork station to St. Patrick's Street will take about 20 minutes and the bus (route 215) from Patrick Street/Drawbridge street to Blarney takes about 30 minutes and again costs about €7 euro!  return (though you can't buy a return ticket only a single.)  Buses take cash, but do not give change!

So, it is going to take you about 2 hours to get there, allowing for scheduling problems.

Getting back to Cobh is basically the reverse, (get off the bus at Camden Quay/Bridge street - it is the other side of the river to where you boarded to go to Blarney and a little closer to the train station for your return).

Remember that when you are returning to Cobh the train will be busy as Cobh is a commuter town for Cork city and you will be hitting the start of the evening rush.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Train from Cobh to Cork takes approx 30 minutes and the return fare is €7 (euro).  You cannot prebook train tickets and there is no ticket office, so you need to join the queue to purchase tickets from the machine.

Walk from Cork station to St. Patrick's Street will take about 20 minutes and the bus (route 215) from Patrick Street/Drawbridge street to Blarney takes about 30 minutes and again costs about €7 euro!  return (though you can't buy a return ticket only a single.)  Buses take cash, but do not give change!

So, it is going to take you about 2 hours to get there, allowing for scheduling problems.

Getting back to Cobh is basically the reverse, (get off the bus at Camden Quay/Bridge street - it is the other side of the river to where you boarded to go to Blarney and a little closer to the train station for your return).

Remember that when you are returning to Cobh the train will be busy as Cobh is a commuter town for Cork city and you will be hitting the start of the evening rush.

Thanks for all the info.  I think we'll just stick to Cork :(  Have been to Blarney before but I kind of wanted to go back to the Woollen Mills, such a great store!  Not worth a 2-hour trip though...……….

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its quite easy to get an independant taxi from Cobh.  Ignore all the ones clustered around the dock - they only want to take you for a whole day and they charge a fortune.  Walk into the town - there is only one road, you can't miss it.  At the first main square on your left is a local taxi rank.  We only wanted a taxi into Cork but for 3 of us it was cheaper than the train - and ran when we wanted to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GastroGnome said:

We only wanted a taxi into Cork but for 3 of us it was cheaper than the train

Are you saying that you got a taxi from Cobh to Cork for less than €10.50?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GastroGnome said:

Its quite easy to get an independant taxi from Cobh.  Ignore all the ones clustered around the dock - they only want to take you for a whole day and they charge a fortune.  Walk into the town - there is only one road, you can't miss it.  At the first main square on your left is a local taxi rank.  We only wanted a taxi into Cork but for 3 of us it was cheaper than the train - and ran when we wanted to. 

We plan to take a taxi directly to Blarney Castle.  How long is the walk into town?  My mom uses a cane and goes slow but can probably walk about 1/2 mile.  If it's more guess we will have to take our chances at the port!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...