MSC cruise in July 2021 questions...

jelomu

Hello!

We are seriously considering a Med Cruise for July 2021. Our original plan was Southern Caribbean, but I see the prices within a 6m window for Med cruises are 1/2 the price :)

I am thinking of choosing one that departs from Marceille, France, so we could fly into Paris for a couple days of sightseeing before heading to the port.

I have cruised with Disney and Carnival and loved both. I do see some neg reviews about the food, and that concerns me as I'm a pretty picky eater! How would you say the MSC food compared to Carnival?

Normally, I book vacations a year in advance. But because there is quite a savings booking closer, I am considering this. Anyone have any tips or recommendations on doing this? Any problems, other than maybe not getting the cabin you want?

I've never travelled so far away, so I have a lot of planning and reading to do!  Is it fairly easy to do a Med cruise if you only speak English? I am worried we will miss a bus or get lost because we don't know the language.

Thank you everyone!

Barcelona in Spain is a good City to start your first Europe Cruise.

you Can fly in some days before the Cruise. The airport is close to the City and after some days sightseeing in Barcelona you just Take a taxi the short Way to the cruiseport in the morning around 10.30.

the hotels a not expensive in Barcelona.

many MSC Cruise ships has Barcelona as a stop in the Cruise.

And you Can always embark there.

Personally, I hate Carnival's food except for a couple of things. I have enjoyed MSC's food though others despise it. When you say you are a picky eater, what do you mean exactly? Only eat a few things? Need specific dietary needs met? Hate Italian food?

I've done several Mediterranean cruises (with MSC, Costa, and HAL) and I only have high-school French. Assuming you're heading to the common ports (in Spain, France, Italy, etc.) you won't have a problem. Keep in mind that the passengers on MSC will be primarily European, and the announcements will be in several languages.

Food is subjective, but I wouldn't say it's one of MSC's finer points. I don't cruise for the food, but many do. I often skip dinner in the MDR and eat at the buffet.

I book cruises when I've decided on the itinerary and the ship. I doubt prices will drop considerably until just a short time before sailing, to fill empty cabins. By then, you'll have a hard time getting the right flights to Europe at the right price.

Lastly, Marseille and Paris are about 800 km apart, so you're not exactly "heading to the port" from Paris. There are very fast TGV trains that are expensive, or slower, cheaper, regular trains. I don't recommend driving, as it's a long journey, fuel is expensive, and there are tolls. Air Transat flies between Toronto/Montreal and several cities in the south of France.  (Sorry, mods, if one isn't supposed to mention airlines.)

LPD

Edited by LP Dad
Missing word

The reason I wanted to leave from a port in France, because I will never see Paris any other way! I can only afford a vacation once every five years, and Paris is higher on my list then Barcelona😃

I’ve read on some posts, that some people actually disembarked and hired a guy to drive them to Paris and then back to the ship, But I would rather get there a day or two earlier, and have a nice train ride to the park.

I am just not an adventurous eater, I do not tend to like things that are prepared by a chef. I would never sit down and eat oysters or frogs legs… I’m good with a pizza or a cheeseburger! And I love Italian!

I had mistakenly typed in July 2020, instead of 2021. I was seeing med cruises for $800 a person. For 2021 they are running around 1400… Six months is too late to book a flight from Toronto to France and get a good deal?

I guess I need to do some more research!

Now is a good time to book airfare to Europe for this summer if you are considering a cruise. We just booked airfare from Toronto to Barcelona for a cruise at the end of June.  I had been looking for a few months and the airfare was cheaper now than before.

I second the recommendation of departing out of Barcelona.  We did this cruise last year. Ended up flying in and out of Barcelona because that is how best deal for airfare worked out. SO GLAD!!

We arrived a week early and spent the time exploring Barcelona. What an amazing city.  Those who embark at other ports get only one day and I think that is not enough to appreciate Barcelona. 

We were able to do a stopover in London, for free. It was the connecting city for BA and we just delayed the connection another week. We were able to explore London before flying home.    look if you can find a connecting flight via CDG. That way you could take a couple of days in Paris. Just an idea.

The plus point about boarding in Marseille is that only a few hundred people board that day, compared to the thousands in Genoa. It is far more civilised. I have done Marseille boarding twice.  
Easy to catch the TGV from Paris. 

Generally, The French don’t like to speak English, even if they can!  You’ve got tons of time to learn the essential key phrases to help you get by. 

Edited by little britain