Chocolate

friendlyfifer

You can almost always find chocolate cookies.  They will be in the World Cafe at lunch and dinner or at the Viking Bar on deck 1. As mentioned above there is also chocolate gelato available at lunch and dinner in the World Cafe.  In the main dining room or Manfredi's there is almost always a chocolate option for dessert and if not, head up to the World Cafe for dessert.  Also  there are chocolate bars in your mini bar which are replenished daily depending on your room category.  We had a wonderful chocolate buffet one evening, but that was on a Christmas cruise, so not sure if that is always offered.  The Chef's Table may not always have a chocolate dessert as it is a set menu.  If not, once again, head to the World Cafe for dessert.

We just returned form a 14-day cruise.  There were "chocolate" desserts on the menu in The Restaurant only about half of the days we ate there.  And some of what was on the menu had chocolate in the name but wasn't very chocolaty, according to my wife.  She thinks they should have something chocolate as part of the every-day menu.  I guess you could ask for ice cream with chocolate sauce, but that doesn't do it for her.  Our waiter graciously brought her the chocolate mousse from the room-service menu a time or two.  She thought the texture wasn't as good as what it was on a previous cruise.

Tim

My husband is thoroughly addicted to the chocolate chocolate chip cookies that were in World Cafe every single day.  They were his downfall.  I had the Sacher Torte in The Restaurant for dessert one night that was wonderful.  

On segment of World Cruise, Sydney to Durban last year, we had bite size Toblerone, in milk, dark or white chocolate restocked daily in the fridge!  Always fun to see which combination was in There! Mmmmmm!

2 hours ago, jebbs said:

On segment of World Cruise, Sydney to Durban last year, we had bite size Toblerone, in milk, dark or white chocolate restocked daily in the fridge!  Always fun to see which combination was in There! Mmmmmm!

For a cruise departing from Sydney, consider the alternatives -- better chocolate than vegemite.

Don't just consider, best be safe and take a goodly stock of Cadbury's to keep in the fridge.  The four-bar packet for £1 and one bar per day is handy.  Chocolate in the ship's shop needs a prior visit to the bank manager, and our supermarkets are doing good deals just now, to say nothing of the pound shops.  Also, a wee bit of real chocolate is so much appreciated by the stewards and crew.  Don't spoil the cruise for a ha'porth of chocolate.  Better another bag of buttons than an extra pair of socks.  The chocolate fountain stuff on your ice cream is . . . ~~OK,  plentiful but not like the real thing.  Beware the Toblerone in the Duty Free -- the bank manager would need to phone Head Office for that!  They don't have chocolate digestives on board either, although you could get digestives from the cheese board and go to the ice cream counter fountain and make your own if you were desperate.  Perhaps a prior phone call to the ship regarding your easily-accommodated but essential dietary requirements (choc digs) would work?

8 hours ago, Rawmac said:

Don't just consider, best be safe and take a goodly stock of Cadbury's to keep in the fridge.  The four-bar packet for £1 and one bar per day is handy.  Chocolate in the ship's shop needs a prior visit to the bank manager, and our supermarkets are doing good deals just now, to say nothing of the pound shops.  Also, a wee bit of real chocolate is so much appreciated by the stewards and crew.  Don't spoil the cruise for a ha'porth of chocolate.  Better another bag of buttons than an extra pair of socks.  The chocolate fountain stuff on your ice cream is . . . ~~OK,  plentiful but not like the real thing.  Beware the Toblerone in the Duty Free -- the bank manager would need to phone Head Office for that!  They don't have chocolate digestives on board either, although you could get digestives from the cheese board and go to the ice cream counter fountain and make your own if you were desperate.  Perhaps a prior phone call to the ship regarding your easily-accommodated but essential dietary requirements (choc digs) would work?

Haha I must sound rather desperate. I don’t actually eat chocolate on a daily basis at home. However thinking about the TA I suddenly felt the need to ensure that chocolate would be readily available. I will definitely take my own stock on board as the bite size chocolate in the fridge won’t suffice. The chocolate fountain stuff is the right colour but tastes nothing like the real thing.

8 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

In a pinch, they make a good chocolate martini.....🍸

Omg! I have the drinks package but I don’t want to disembark the ship with an alcohol problem. Perhaps one chocolate martini per day, taken after 6.00 p.m., would not cause too much of an issue.

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

In our experience on the Sun, if you ask for something and they don't have it, a crew member is dispatched to find it. Next night and every other night it appears without asking.😊

That has been our experience as well! We always (jokingly) ask “Does Viking ever say no?”

Just got off the Jupiter in SA and there was a chocolate something somewhere every day.  Can look at the menus for all restaurants and decide.  Also we discovered that the chocolate fondue sauce next to the gelatto station was amazing over the dessert.  It would harden thick and chocolatey like the chocolate dip ice cream cones from Dairy Queen 50 years ago.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cocopico said:

Chocolate?  Did someone say chocolate?  In addition to the usual chocolate offerings, we had this chocolate extravaganza on our Cities of Antiquity and Holy Land cruise aboard Viking Jupiter last March/April!IMG_E6395.thumb.jpg.b953d04b7319241844f789fd8d612e99.jpgIMG_6399.thumb.jpg.a68c9f8619b8f8d5fdd532c096eafd28.jpg

Cocopico,

I went to my own photos planning to  add to this discussion, but decided mine did not do the event justice, so I didn't post earlier. Your photos are much better than mine. Thanks for the memories!

Just to be clear for those of you who are new to Viking: while the chocolate nights happen regularly, they are not included on every sailing. It does make them a very special event. But don't fear, there is plenty of chocolate goodness even without it. My husband was especially fond of the chocolate croissants at breakfast.

53 minutes ago, lackcreativity said:

Just to be clear for those of you who are new to Viking: while the chocolate nights happen regularly, they are not included on every sailing. It does make them a very special event.

We had been on 3 Viking Ocean Cruises and never a chocolate event - we didn't even know about them.  Then on our last cruise last month they did it (unfortunately it started at 10:00 PM - but it was well attended, not by us though - can't do caffeine that late).  Hopefully they'll do a chocolate afternoon sometime!  (I put that in the suggestion box 🙂 )

On 2/10/2020 at 5:09 PM, Jim Avery said:

In a pinch, they make a good chocolate martini.....🍸

the best ever was the expresso martini up in the Explorer's Lounge !!!! Honey Bunny (can't remember his real name) used to infuse the Vodka with coffee beans....and the caffeine never bothered my sleep😴!

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

Friendlyfifer - completely off topic for this thread but in line with a previous thread of yours , did you figure out something for an Everglades visit?

Homosassa, thanks for the message. No the Everglades has been ruled out. Our plane lands the evening before embarkation. We have decided to concentrate on sightseeing in Miami before boarding.