Maya Chan...Thank you for understanding!

Nashna

We looked forward to visiting Maya Chan on our January MSC cruise.   I had pre-paid our reservations with Paypal.  The night before our scheduled visit, I turned to tell my DH how much I loved the evening show and missed a step at the end of the aisle.  I found myself sprawled on the floor.  I woke up the next morning sore and bruised.  Frankly, the thought of walking down the pier and navigating the port was just too much.  I e-mailed  Maya Chan to let them know our situation and to inform them that we would not be visiting. Since this was just hours prior to our scheduled visit, I thought our $118.00 was gone.  The next day, I received notification from Palpay that the $118.00 had been refunded.   I was shocked as if we had booked a ship's excursion, we would not have received a refund.  You can be sure if we booked another cruise that includes Costa Maya, my first thought will be to book Maya Chan.  Obviously, what I've heard about them is true...this resort is run by very nice people.

• Like 15

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2020 at 10:36 AM, twtudor said:

Some posts are saying the water is very murky at Maya Chan. Any comments? I love the all inclusive idea but want to swim in some clear water.

ALL of Costa Maya is subject to the seaweed flowing in right now, unfortunately.  

If it's a bad seaweed day at one place there, it's a bad seaweed day at all of them.  Maya Chan does have a small swimming pool you can dip in, if you want totally clear water.

13 hours ago, brillohead said:

ALL of Costa Maya is subject to the seaweed flowing in right now, unfortunately.  

If it's a bad seaweed day at one place there, it's a bad seaweed day at all of them.  Maya Chan does have a small swimming pool you can dip in, if you want totally clear water.

Have you been this week? Has it just started?

No seaweed the previous two weeks, just the usual seagrass. The water at Maya Chan the first week of March was murky due to strong winds and currents that stirred up the sand.

• 1 month later...

I have a deposit down for Maya Chan for November. Such great reviews and I wanted an all inclusive.

Having second thoughts because of all the reviews about brown water and seagrass that you cant even enjoy a dip in the ocean.

Is the water really that bad??

49 minutes ago, KATHYMAC68 said:

I have a deposit down for Maya Chan for November. Such great reviews and I wanted an all inclusive.

Having second thoughts because of all the reviews about brown water and seagrass that you cant even enjoy a dip in the ocean.

Is the water really that bad??

No way to tell this far ahead. Sargassum is seasonal. Seagrass is fairly constant. Both are natural phenomena that you can’t  do anything about. You will get a report nearer your date, with an option to cancel. If sargassum is bad at Maya Chan it will be bad all along the malecon. 

A much bigger question will be how many places will survive the shut down in Costa Maya.

2 hours ago, Nashna said:

A few weeks prior to sailing, you might want to e-mail the owners.  I found that they were very truthful regarding the beach conditions.    

Depending on the time of year a couple of weeks can make a big difference.

Maya Chan will generally update you near to your date,  and if it is particularly bad will have photos at the meeting point on the day and let you make a decision then.

We have found it to be generally better end of November to February.  

• 1 month later...

We love Maya Chan and we keep checking their website and social media for any indications on how soon they'll open. Just saw that some Carnival Cruises are going to go to Costa Maya as soon as August. We've never sailed Carnival, and would only grab one of these cruises if we knew we'd be able to go to Maya Chan. 

• 10 months later...

I and my wife have been to Maya Chan 3 times over the past 4 yrs.   We have always enjoyed it.   My wife really likes the bar service in the water.    She also likes the reserved space and not being overcrowded  with no venders.   We are booking in  August and November if not cancelled and they are still open.    Hopefully they are still open and we don"t have to go on ship excursion.   Gary

The Maya Chan website https://costamayabeachresort.com/ provides information on changes made to respond to the Covid threat. They have been working to ensure they passed the Q Roo Certification to allow the resort to accept guests.

The site says they are "ready to welcome you home"!

Why not email them about your plans for August and November?

• 4 months later...
On 4/15/2020 at 1:35 PM, c-leg5 said:

No way to tell this far ahead. Sargassum is seasonal.

I am new to Costa Maya, my first visit is scheduled for Nov 2021. You said that sargassum is seasonal. What seasons/months are expected to be bad for the sargassum? 

TIA

Steven

19 minutes ago, stevendom57 said:

I am new to Costa Maya, my first visit is scheduled for Nov 2021. You said that sargassum is seasonal. What seasons/months are expected to be bad for the sargassum? 

TIA

Steven

That would be difficult to pinpoint.

This article suggests May - October 

https://www.atastefortravel.ca/11077-current-seaweed-conditions-in-cancun/

this one April- August

https://www.journeymexico.com/blog/update-on-sargassum-seaweed-affecting-mexicos-beaches

Costa Maya is south of Tulum on the map with colored dots.

Also the severity varies from year to year with some years much worse than others.  We have just returned from Cozumel in June and the east side was really bad. 2021 is predicated to be a bad year. 

We went to Costa Maya in January one year - totally clear, returned early March and sargassum starting at Maya Chan. 

That said, November is certainly one of the better times and hopefully you will be just fine! Enjoy!

22 hours ago, stevendom57 said:

Just so you know / can manage expectations, realize that any time the sargassum is bad at Maya Chan, it's ALSO bad at all of the Costa Maya beaches.  

Unless you are debating between Maya Chan and an inland excursion (ruins, waterpark, whatever), then Maya Chan is a no-brainer IMO.  While playing in the water might not be ideal during a "sargassum attack" at Maya Chan, it still has a lot of other positives going for it that make it worthwhile.  

I'm not much of a drinker, and so I never do all-inclusive resort packages because I just don't get enough value out of them for the price they charge.... but I *do* go to Maya Chan.  You get your own little "hut" well spaced out from other parties, and the service is amazing.

I'm scheduled there in November, too, and I can't wait to return!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...