Celebrity new ships?

RMS Olympic

I just booked a cruise on the Apex for late 2021.

For those that have sailed on the Edge.......what were the good and not so good aspects of the ship?

its been a while since I have sailed Celebrity.... but after booking the Vacaya cruise on the Summit for 2021, I thought I should try a new build. In the meantime it’s the new Princessships Sky and Enchanted.

So I’d appreciate thoughts on the Edge to paint a picture of what to expect on Apex.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

I sailed with Atlantis on the Edge and really enjoyed the ship -- its beautiful and different, and I am sure the Apex will be the same.  One of the big changes is the elimination of the main dining room into 4 separate dining rooms based on cuisine - though everyday "classics" could be found on each menu.  Another area I liked was the Retreat area for Suite level cabins -- on the Edge this includes a private pool and bar area, with some complimentary beverages.  In addition, the food and service in Luminae, reserved for suite guests was great!  The grand foyer has basically been eliminated, and replaced by the "Grand Plaza" where the martini bar is located - it is beautiful but this was probably my least favorite redesign on the ship - it easily got crowded and quite noisy, and did not seem to work the best for an Atlantis cruise -- otherwise I am sure the atmosphere is somewhat different on a regular cruise. Eden was a little quirky, but overall a nice addition to the ship. The pool deck has had the addition of outward facing cabanas, which can be reserved for private use. It is possible that some of this could be somewhat tweaked on the Apex, as Celebrity was in the process of learning what really worked on the Edge, and fixing those that did not in future versions, like the Apex.

All Celebrity ships are receiving the some aspect of the "Edge" treatment.  I sailed on the Summit last year with Vacaya, and the vessel had already been remodeled, with the addition of the Retreat area and cabin upgrades -- the biggest difference was that the Retreat area only had a private hot tub and bar, and no private pool.  I was in a Aqua class stateroom, and the rooms had been completely remodeled and were quite nice.  Blu, the restaurant for Aqua class staterooms was very nice also, and the food being somewhat better than the MDR.  The buffet area had been completely remodeled and refreshed.  

Overall I enjoyed both  -  The Edge disappointed some as they considered the changes to the public areas were too drastic -- elimination of the MDR, quirky public spaces etc., all of which I thought were refreshing, instead on the same basic ship layout that you traditionally see.  

Edited by frquarterguy
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to add that, if one is not in a suite or Sunset verandahs, the IV's can be a bit shocking if you are expecting a 'walk out' balcony.

While, I and quite a few others enjoy this set-up, there are clearly those who do not care for the IV's in any shape or form for various and sundry 'valid' or 'OCD' reasons. LOL

bon voyage