Mariner - Chat/Text feature on Royal app?

I will be on the Mariner of the Seas the weekend of April 24th.  I have downloaded the Royal app and have already been exploring it's features.  Can anyone confirm whether or not the chat/text feature is available on the Mariner through the app?  I am traveling with friends/family and we have a habit of going our own way on cruises.  It would be nice to be able to keep in touch on the ship as to where each of us are and what we are doing.  If the chat feature is not available on the Mariner, can anyone suggest an alternative without having to purchase the Internet package?  Thanks so much!

Thanks sormekun.  I'm hoping someone that is on before late April will bring back some good news. Also, I have heard that those with iphones are able to communicate via an app; however, I have an android phone.  I have read all the info about walkie talkies and although I used to use them on land based vacations, I note that they can be annoying to other vacationers.  Maybe the good ol fashioned white board and room to room phone is gonna have to do it!

31 minutes ago, sun_lovin!1 said:

Also, I have heard that those with iphones are able to communicate via an app; however, I have an android phone. 

When the text/chat feature is enabled, it is likely going to work on both platforms. Recently, the RCI app versions on Android are ahead of iOS (iPhone) versions.

We are on the Mariner now. You both must have the Internet package to message each other. Which, if you both had the package, it would probably make sense to communicate via regular messaging vs the app bc of the loveliness of RC’s IT capabilities... 😜 Have a great cruise - it’s a fun ship!!