Main Dining Rooms

awinte2

Wondering if anyone can let me know if the MDR on Princess still offer shrimp cocktails, beef tenderloin, lobster, beef wellington and prime rib at no extra cost.

Trying to decide on our next cruise. Just came of Norwegian Encore and food in MDR was good but none of the above is offered.

Thankyou

Just now, awinte2 said:

Wondering if anyone can let me know if the MDR on Princess still offer shrimp cocktails, beef tenderloin, lobster, beef wellington and prime rib at no extra cost.

Trying to decide on our next cruise. Just came of Norwegian Encore and food in MDR was good but none of the above is offered.

Thankyou

All of those are on the menu on certain nights without an extra charge ... but, usually only once per 7 night cruise ... except the shrimp cocktail, which you can order nightly.  

They do also offer steak (different cuts) and/or lobster any night for an extra charge.  I believe the price is similar to that of what you'd pay in the Crown Grill, one of their specialty restaurants??  Maybe $19 per order or $29 for both ... don't quote me but, I think that's close.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, awinte2 said:

Thankyou

The following is what I remember from multiple 10 day cruises on the Grand Princess.

Beef tenderloin is offered twice at least.  Embarkation day lunch in the MDR and another evening.

Prime rib is at least once in the MDR and is also available in the buffet.

Beef wellington is offered on a formal night if I remember correctly,

Shrimp cocktail is offered every evening and possibly at lunch.

There is no extra charge for these items.

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

All of those are on the menu on certain nights without an extra charge ... but, usually only once per 7 night cruise ... except the shrimp cocktail, which you can order nightly.  

They do also offer steak (different cuts) and/or lobster any night for an extra charge.  I believe the price is similar to that of what you'd pay in the Crown Grill, one of their specialty restaurants??  Maybe $19 per order or $29 for both ... don't quote me but, I think that's close.  

There are three (I think the number is right... maybe four??) Crown Grill mains offered along with the MDR menu items for an extra charge of $19.  You can make them Surf & Turf for an extra $10.  If go to Crown Grill, the cover is $29 with a larger list of selections.  The MDR offering is for the main dish only - none of the app's or desserts (you order those off the MDR menu). 

I did this one night on our last cruise and it was great.  I even got my Applewood Smoked Salt!!

7 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

There are three (I think the number is right... maybe four??) Crown Grill mains offered along with the MDR menu items for an extra charge of $19.  You can make them Surf & Turf for an extra $10.  If go to Crown Grill, the cover is $29 with a larger list of selections.  The MDR offering is for the main dish only - none of the app's or desserts (you order those off the MDR menu). 

I did this one night on our last cruise and it was great.  I even got my Applewood Smoked Salt!!

Nice ...and thank you for that clarification.  I knew I probably in the ball park ... but since I don't eat red meat, I didn't pay too much attention to this part of the menu.  

5 minutes ago, voljeep said:

was it the beef tenderloin that was once on the 'everyday menu', but was replaced by a hamburger ?

I think it was a New York steak or some such slab of meat that was taken off the daily menu.

They always had hamburger on the menu from what I remember or maybe that was the lunch menu?

Indeed the NY Steak on the alternate daily menu has been replaced by a hamburger - some special version that does change day to day.  A basic burger is also available on request.

We usually select from the Crown Grill in the MDR menu once during a given cruise.  It's a nice option if nothing on the main menu appeals.  They do say servings are limited on a given day, but we've never had our request declined.

5 hours ago, voljeep said:

was it the beef tenderloin that was once on the 'everyday menu', but was replaced by a hamburger ?

Not tenderloin. Beef medallions. Being whatever cut that entails.. those have been off the always available menu for several years now.. 

To be honest, and I know I'm a lone voice, but I much prefer the changing burger nightly. There are some excellent options, including the burger that costs at Salty Dog, etc.  

I know many loved the beef medallions.  I'm not one of them though. 

• Thanks 1