Sky Princess

lois1112

Different strokes for different folks.  Gosh, the Sky is lovely.  Did her in December.  Booked for Enchanted in Dec 2020 and Discovery 2021 Dec.   Ya, no Promenade Deck but so many more lovely features.  Do not listen to other people.  The fun of travelling is experiencing new ships as they come out.  

I was on the Sky Princess at the end of January.  I would sail her again in a heartbeat.  She is a beauty!  The crew is wonderful and if you are lucky enough to sail with Captain Tuvo, you are in for a treat.  He is an extraordinary Captain.  The only thing I didn’t care for was the Wake Pool in the aft.  I prefer the arrangement on the Regal.  I also missed Crooner’s, but it was no big deal.  The production shows were wonderful!  The Buffet area is huge and we never had any problem finding a table, even when it was very crowded.  There is room for all.  

My advice - give the Sky a chance.  I don’t think you will be disappointed.  

8 hours ago, WoodstockGirl said:

What reasons did your 4 friends give? 

As mentioned already, there is a promenade deck, on both starboard and port side, it just doesn't go all the way around the bow and stern. And there is some intrusion from the tenders and life rafts for a section.  But, as was also pointed out, it has nice little open areas with lounge chairs.

One thing I really like about the Sky is how it never feels crowded.  I don't know how they do it, but as we'd walk around the shops and public areas, we'd feel the crush of the crowds more on the smaller ships, with less people, than on the Sky.  MDR always felt spacious and uncrowded.

Yes, there is the World Market buffet, and also the Horizon Court buffet.  Two buffet sections, that are different - plus the Pastry shop with .... Pastries! All were rarely - if ever - crowded.

It was the lack of outdoor space and the feel of being on a ship

they loved the buffet and crew

to much “retail” space

14 hours ago, lois1112 said:

It was the lack of outdoor space and the feel of being on a ship

they loved the buffet and crew

to much “retail” space

I have to say there is not a TON of retail space and what they do have is a massive improvement over other ships. They had shops with nice merchandise I would actually want to buy (and did buy a few things including a new beach bag).  They had stylish (non-Princess logo) clothes, handbags, totes, jewelry, just modern fashionable stuff that's not crazy expensive. I have not seen this on other ships. It's either insanely expensive watches and jewelry or tacky boring stuff.  I had a hard time resisting buying much more stuff!  

Lack of outdoor space? Really. Probably did not go on every deck and check out all the available seating just about everywhere. Lido deck. The aft behind the buffet was the Wake Pool small, but very few people there. Overlooks the sea and the wake of the ship. Really nice. Two in the small pool and only about 3 in a lounge. The bar only had a few there. A real nice place to chill out. Mid, two pools and 3 hot tubs. All kinds of seating. Deck 17 Sun deck 4 hot tubs lots of seating, 18 Sky deck 2 hot tubs and lots of seating. 7 Promenade, Both port and starboard sides of the vista lounge. Both side of the Al Fresco for dining outside. So where was there a lack of outdoor space?

• 2 weeks later...

We were disappointed with the Sky Princess.   Felt like a floating hotel not a grand ship.  We were used to Holland America and in the buffet they serve and do not allow everyone to touch every utensil and spread germs.  The elevators were always packed and the ship didn't seem as clean as Holland America.  We tried all of the restaurants.  Sabatini's and The Crown Grill were terrible.  The French restaurant was the only one that was good.  The movie screen blaring at the pool was annoying during the day if you wanted to talk, relax or read etc.  Were on Princess 15 years ago and it has gone downhill for us.  On sea days if you come out to the pool later than 6:30 AM the chairs are all taken and reserved.  On a plus side the Kids Club is great and cabin fine.

1 minute ago, cher1 said:

We were disappointed with the Sky Princess.   Felt like a floating hotel not a grand ship.  We were used to Holland America and in the buffet they serve and do not allow everyone to touch every utensil and spread germs.  The elevators were always packed and the ship didn't seem as clean as Holland America.  We tried all of the restaurants.  Sabatini's and The Crown Grill were terrible.  The French restaurant was the only one that was good.  The movie screen blaring at the pool was annoying during the day if you wanted to talk, relax or read etc.  Were on Princess 15 years ago and it has gone downhill for us.  On sea days if you come out to the pool later than 6:30 AM the chairs are all taken and reserved.  On a plus side the Kids Club is great and cabin fine.

None of what you say was anything like we experienced. If you want to experience a floating hotel go on the Celebrity Edge. We hated it. 80 cruises and never again, yet they are rated number one. Most all ship you use the utensils to get you own food in the buffet. HAL is one of the very few that give you your food. Carnival, Royal, Celebrity you get your own, just like any buffet on land. We enjoyed the ship and all it ad to offer, including the great show. You are one of the very few that did not like the ship. To each there own.

• Like 1