Dining Room Dress Code

SKrauss

Hi all! We are sailing on the Indy next month... returning to RCCL after sailing quite a few years with Carnival. We have gotten used to the ultra lax (non-existent) dress code on Carnival... My husband is now used to wearing nice jeans/t-shirt to dinner and I'm trying to see if that flys on Royal. Does he need a collared shirt on casual nights? It's a 4 Day Western and we are flying so trying to pack carry on only... Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, Billy Baltic said:

Dining room dress code? You just lit the fuse. For your own sake, stand well back and don’t take anything that follows too seriously. You’ll be blamed for everything from faking the moon landing to global warming before this thread ends. 

Well let’s try and prevent that.   The search function from the phone is horrible imho.  

Here’s two good threads to start with.  Maybe a sticky can be created one day for this topic. 

Hey I see my formal attire lol.   Don’t stress your on vacation. Dress comfortable shorts and a button are fine.   Even a T-shirt on formal night isn’t an issue.    

you’ll get many people that say you have to be dressed up for dinner.  
It’s not true.   Dress comfortable and enjoy yourself.    Have fun.  

5 hours ago, SKrauss said:

Hi all! We are sailing on the Indy next month... returning to RCCL after sailing quite a few years with Carnival. We have gotten used to the ultra lax (non-existent) dress code on Carnival... My husband is now used to wearing nice jeans/t-shirt to dinner and I'm trying to see if that flys on Royal. Does he need a collared shirt on casual nights? It's a 4 Day Western and we are flying so trying to pack carry on only... Thanks in advance!

RCCL has "suggested" attire which no one follows. On a "formal" evening, you are likely to see someone in shorts sitting next to someone in a suit. And people in a suit and tie are becoming very rare (endangered species status).  

I don’t get why people are so bent out of shape over shorts in the dining room.  Do you avoid restaurants at home where people wear shorts also?  I’d bet $5 that your local steak restaurant has everyone from dresses and slacks to shorts and tank tops. They’re simply clothes. Be happy they’re not naked. 

OP - I’m going on Indy next week and I have a few dresses and some casual clothes planned to pack.  My husband will probably wear shorts and a button up, maybe slacks and a polo. 

I’m not sure this topic will ever resolve itself cordially. One half dozen to the other believes in whatever makes you feel comfortable and the other half believes in the dress code. 
I personally enjoy wearing shorts all day in the sun and then putting nicer clothes on for dinner, a show, and then the piano bar. Others are more comfortable in full relaxation mode attire. 

I’m sure we can all agree that people should do whatever they are comfortable with and makes their vacation worth the money they spent. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sail n Snow said:

Well let’s try and prevent that.   The search function from the phone is horrible imho.  

Here’s two good threads to start with.  Maybe a sticky can be created one day for this topic. 

Hey whom is that sexie bloke....

Haha  some  , some can justify anything,  just going to get dressed for dinner after a sip at the Centrum .

We find that RC actually seems a bit looser than Carnival, to be honest. Neither line enforces anything (except for no shorts in the steakhouse on RC, which is occasionally enforced), but Royal's description of "wear your best" (which suggests pants and collared shirts at a minimum) is certainly more relaxed than Carnival's description of "cruise elegant," which still suggests suits or at least dress slacks, dress shirt, and a sports coat.

Our last several cruises have been on RC, and we have found that for men dress shoes, jeans, and a polo or button down shirt is perfectly acceptable in every restaurant for every night. Women seem to be OK with nicer sandals or flats/heels, jeans/pants/capris, and a blouse or sweater top. 

On both lines, we've seen a wide variety of dress. Even though I don't like to dress up on vacation, I'll wear at minimum jeans and a polo to dinner and then change to something more casual if I'm feeling it. We no longer bring dress slacks or sports coats. 

Edited by BTHodgeman