Liverpool tour: Best Of Lake District, reviews?

Coral

Any reviews on this tour? I am mostly into scenery when doing trips. 

Best Of Lake District 8.75 hours

Your tour begins as you board your motorcoach for a scenic, two-hour drive to Lake Windermere in the Lake District. Upon arriving, you'll board your motor launch for a scenic cruise about Lake Windermere. The largest natural lake in England, Windermere is 12 miles long, one mile wide and 220 feet deep, and lined with wooded fells, bays and promontories.

Next on your itinerary is a trip aboard the vintage Lakeside & Haverthwaite Railway for a steam train tour of the Leven River Valley. Powered by an historic steam locomotive, your train features vintage railway touring cars.

Your tour continues with free time to explore Bowness, a charming village on the shores of Lake Windermere and one of its oldest settlements featuring Victorian and Edwardian buildings and cottages.

After picking up a souvenir or two, you'll board your motorcoach for a lunch at a local hotel. Here, you'll enjoy a local menu and a half pint of beer. 

Your tour concludes with a relaxing return drive to Liverpool via the small village of Newby Bridge.

Lake Windermere is a beautiful area. We had a similar non-cruise tour there this past June. Unfortunately, it was cool and drizzly when were there, and we didn't get to do the railway part. The train and lake cruise can be done independently for likely much less than a ship's excursion, but you'd have to get there and back.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, just_dont said:

Lake Windermere is a beautiful area. We had a similar non-cruise tour there this past June. Unfortunately, it was cool and drizzly when were there, and we didn't get to do the railway part. The train and lake cruise can be done independently for likely much less than a ship's excursion, but you'd have to get there and back.

Thanks - I am traveling solo on this and at the point, I am ok with booking with the ship. Sort of funny as my Norway trip was almost all private tours.

Thanks for your comments!

In your circumstances, yes ship’s tour is the way to visit the Lake District. 

Just-dont’s wet day is unfortunately quite common in the Lake District.

An alternative in the opposite direction is a seat on BusyBus van to North Wales - mountains and castles, etc, probably a great deal cheaper. This tour is only for folk on your ship.

But N Wales too can be rainy.

JB 😀

Just-dont’s wet day is unfortunately quite common in the Lake District.

JB [emoji3]

Yes, that's what we'd heard. Lake District appears to have a high number of rainy days per year.

Still quite beautiful, though.

As John Bull and just_don't have mentioned, quite a bit of "weather"🌧️ happens in the Lake District--as I can attest from much personal experience!  It's a beautiful region, but the amount of sunshine--or lack thereof--can have a profound effect on how you perceive it.

However, I think my main concern with this tour would be that you will spend at least half of the 8+ hour tour just travelling there and back.  Sitting in a coach on the M6 motorway for four hours isn't my idea of a good time, and I don't know if the remaining four hours or so that you will actually have in the Lake District itself is worth the trip.  Your time "on the ground" might seem awfully rushed.  (My own forays into the Lake District have usually lasted at least three or four days, if not more--a time-span that allows for more leisurely exploration... and, usually, for the rain to abate and the clouds to clear somewhat.) 

Although Lake Windermere itself is quite lovely, of course, the town of Windermere is rather touristy and isn't the most  attractive of Lake District towns.  Bowness is rather attractive, but seems to me (based on one short visit) like a bit of a tourist trap rather than a "real" town. In the summer, both towns tend to get overrun with visitors.

Sorry to sound so negative, but I do think it's best to be armed with realistic expectations.

Now, if you were going to the northern lakes (say, around Derwentwater or over to Buttermere), I would have a more positive response...

Edited by Post Captain
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Coral said:

I appreciate everyone's comments and honesty. I think I will search for something else to do.

Consider either that BusyBus van tour, or a train ride to the ancient city of Chester (about 45 minutes, frequent direct trains)

JB 😀

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John Bull said:

Consider either that BusyBus van tour, or a train ride to the ancient city of Chester (about 45 minutes, frequent direct trains)

JB 😀

Chester was another option I looked at. Sounds like this is worth looking into.

My great-uncle lived in the Lake District and I visited him several times.  He was a fresh water naturalist and published books through F. Warne, the same publisher that Beatrix Potter used and he did a lot with Potter history.  Anyways, the Lake District is the mecca for Potter fans and a shame that none of your stops really incorporate that into the visit. It is a loveley area.

My Mom's best school friend lived in Chester and ran a B&B there, her house was right on the city wall.  Chester is a neat city, lots of half-timbered houses. Very interesting and you're so close to Wales there.

I hope you enjoy whatever you choose, both area offer something special.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sauer-kraut said:

My great-uncle lived in the Lake District and I visited him several times.  He was a fresh water naturalist and published books through F. Warne, the same publisher that Beatrix Potter used and he did a lot with Potter history.  Anyways, the Lake District is the mecca for Potter fans and a shame that none of your stops really incorporate that into the visit. It is a loveley area.

My Mom's best school friend lived in Chester and ran a B&B there, her house was right on the city wall.  Chester is a neat city, lots of half-timbered houses. Very interesting and you're so close to Wales there.

I hope you enjoy whatever you choose, both area offer something special.

I wasn't familiar with Beatrix Potter name but when I looked her up, I was very familiar with her books! Thanks for your comments.

Far be it from me not to welcome anyone to the Lake District, but a long journey up the motorway to Kendal, and a rural drive on a busy road to poor old Windermere- a town for day trippers- wouldn't be my choice... it has the lake, and a surround of mountains, but little of the real LD about it. The LD is a place for walkers and climbers, or people who are looking for peace... I don't think it's a good choice for a day. 

I would be more inclined to go to Chester, or even the guided tour of Liverpool itself.

Come back again sometime, and visit us in the more remote areas...  🙂

• Like 4

Both the Lakes and the best parts of North Wales are quite a trek. Snowdonia (better in my opinion than the Lakes) would be 1 and a half hours and the Lakes 2 hours, and that’s assuming no hold ups either way.

If you’ve not been to Liverpool before, stick to looking at the city - 2 cathedrals, St George’s Hall, iconic waterfront, Beatles museum, Anfield tour.

If you have been before, think about Chester. 40 minutes from James Street Station, trains every 15 minutes.....