Greece - Tenders port

northernrose

• 7 months later...

We tendered in Kotor, but you may be docked.  It just depends on how many ships are in port and who gets there first to dock.  In Mykonos, you may dock or have to tender depending on the number or ships in port.  We'll be calling at Mykonos next May, and I'm actually hoping we tender since they take you directly in the dock at the old town.  The new port dock requires a taxi or shuttle to take you in to Mykonos Old Town.

The issue with Kotor, Argostoli and Mykonos is that while they have a pier to handle cruise ships they are limited (generally to a single ship).  So depending on whether you are the only ship or are the one ship that gets the dock...the situation varies.  It is likely that the cruise line will know before your cruise but plans change.   In Corfu you are almost certain to dock.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

Greek/Turkey cruise I'm looking at for late July shows no tendering in these Greek ports: 

Mitilini (island of Lesbos)

Rhodes

Agios Nikolaos (Crete)

Patmos

Mykonos

Athens

Of course, as a poster pointed out, occasionally a ship must tender because there is no free dock at the day or time they're scheduled to arrive.  So occasionally there's a surprise.  

When we were in Mykonos and Kotor we docked. 

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Greek/Turkey cruise I'm looking at for late July shows no tendering in these Greek ports: 

Mitilini (island of Lesbos)

Rhodes

Agios Nikolaos (Crete)

Patmos

Mykonos

Athens

Of course, as a poster pointed out, occasionally a ship must tender because there is no free dock at the day or time they're scheduled to arrive.  So occasionally there's a surprise.  

When we were in Mykonos and Kotor we docked. 

Which cruiseline?   I so want to visit Patmos, and Lesbos,  love Crete! 

It's Oceania (not the cheapest, but great line, and good value), end of July, on Riviera (normally 1250 pax capacity).  It's 10 nights, 11 days.  Itinerary is Istanbul, Lesbos, Ephesus, Rhodes, Alanya Turkey, Paphos Cyprus, Antalya Turkey, Crete, Patmos, Mykonos, Athens (Piraeus).  We tender in Paphos, Cyprus.

It's a somewhat unusual itinerary, which is one thing that attracted me, along with a lot of ports and little time at sea, other than at night - and a mixture of big cities and smaller places.  Sounds like there will be a lot of history, ruins, etc.

If you did anything really special in Agios Nikolaos, I'd love to hear about it!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

It's Oceania (not the cheapest, but great line, and good value), end of July, on Riviera (normally 1250 pax capacity).  It's 10 nights, 11 days.  Itinerary is Istanbul, Lesbos, Ephesus, Rhodes, Alanya Turkey, Paphos Cyprus, Antalya Turkey, Crete, Patmos, Mykonos, Athens (Piraeus).  We tender in Paphos, Cyprus.

It's a somewhat unusual itinerary, which is one thing that attracted me, along with a lot of ports and little time at sea, other than at night - and a mixture of big cities and smaller places.  Sounds like there will be a lot of history, ruins, etc.

If you did anything really special in Agios Nikolaos, I'd love to hear about it!

Thanks,  unusual and sounds great!   We’ve stayed in this area twice for about a total of three weeks.  Depending on your interests,  great beaches, ancient ruins of Malia Palace,  pretty town of lake side Ag Nick and gorgeous Elounda. But what I would recommend is you take a taxi to Plaka past Elounda and take a boat trip to Spinalonga an island where leper’s were isolated.  Victoria Hislop's book The Island  is a must read if you are interested in the area and WW2 history.   Then have lunch in Plaka and return for a walk around Elounda and or Ag Nik

Edited by bennybear