Other Cruise Line Alternatives

whitford

We loved both Viking Ocean and Seabourn. Smaller ships with wonderful staff and guests! No limit to wine, champagne,  beer or liquor you choose to bring onboard Viking, plus no kids. On Seabourn, a bit dressier and all drinks are included. We have both booked again later this year.

On 2/12/2020 at 8:03 PM, shank63 said:

Oceania is a good fit for us.  No formal or gala nights, country club casual dress code, bring aboard all the wine you need and pay a corkage fee only in dining rooms, 4 specialty restaurants at no extra fees, all non-alcoholic beverages included in fare, similar demographics as HAL, port intensive itineraries, excellent food. We also like HAL and know that you get what you pay for.

We too like Oceania very much. Much smaller ships but the immensities are excellent. All restaurants are open to all passengers without extra payment and for us, the buffet was excellent. They had steak and lobster at the buffet and the cook asked how many lobsters I would like LOL. (small tails but still))

The laundry rooms with washers and dryers at the front of every deck is open to all. If in concierge class the concierge lounge is a fantastic place with daily newspapers, coffees, juices and snacks all day long. Great to be able to go there early and get a good coffee and muffins before goign for breakfast.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 1:08 PM, whitford said:

My DGF wants to look at other cruise lines for a future trip. I really like HAL but must look. What are options for couple in their later 60's fit and like to leave the ship at each port. Like good food and wine. Bring out own wine and pay the corkage fee. Love the staff on HAL and would like similar on alternative line. Price is not the most important consideration. I do not like roving bands of kids, booze cruises, water slides/attractions and really big crowded ships. Please let me know your first hand experiences both pro and con.

I would recommend Oceania, Viking and Azamara.  If your budget is high, than look at Regent as well

On 2/12/2020 at 9:23 AM, hypercafe said:

I think Crystal would be a great fit. Classic ships with wrap around promenade, great food and service. Lots of daily activities and great speakers and two shows per night. I can't speak for carry on booze but they are all inclusive with a nice wine list. They are a luxury version oh HAL.

Especially solos as their solo supplements are pretty modest.  No restrictions on carrying your own liquor on board but also kind of silly since it's all inclusive (except for some VERY high end stuff). 

Roy

• Like 1

Moving up to premium lines like Azamara, Oceania, Viking does not necessarily provide good value for money considering the spread in $ from mass to premium.

Case in point. Check out the CC Review section on Oceania right now. For the past year the reviews average 3 stars. The reviews are either 1-2 stars or a few 5 stars, but there is no high level 4 star consistency which would be expected at a premium level.  Importantly, read the comments and you will see the same issues repeated over and over. 

It is my opinion that the current Oceania is not of the quality of the previous Oceania.

After many years of patronage we have cancelled Oceania as a service provider. Our dear friends have done 3 Oceania this year and were very disappointed in a sailing in November. They have now cancelled their April Regatta Hawaii and Regatta next Jan NZ and Australia. 

Having patronized many lines, it is my impression that Oceania is "over promising and under delivering". Significant cutbacks were implemented in August 2018 in the menu including reductions in offerings, poorer quality ingredients, reductions in staff levels. The MDR is no better than the Celebrity MDR in terms of food quality and service. The so called "free" speciality restaurants have reduced offerings and quality, steak quality in particular has declined. Oceania has the most invisible and arrogant ship management with the guest relations staff being of similar attitude. Cheer leaders for Oceania have responded to many criticisms on the Oceania board with the stale comment "but you can get grilled lobster, shrimp at the cafe" - yes, and it costs you a lot of money for the privilege. There have been many posts on the Oceania board about the apparent tendency of Oceania to miss ports with limited to no explanation, we have experienced this all to often. You do not get your port fees returned.

Be aware of the R ship category in terms of reliability. These are older vessels. Regatta in particular has a long history of mechanical breakdowns at sea - in 2017 she was towed into Honolulu by the Coast Guard where she sat for days. Regarding Regatta her recent Vancouver retrofit, there appears to have been limited to no work done on the engine component. Now sister ship Sirena is breaking down.

HAL customers should go into patronizing the next step up in cruise lines with care - do not assume what you get for the additional $ will necessarily be so much better than HAL

I will give credit to the premium and luxury lines for their more passenger inclusive environment with much less class segmentation than the main lines. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1