Considering Edge...what are the IV complaints?

Pier290

Considering sailing on the Edge but what are the cons to the Infinite Veranda cabins??   I didn't pay attention to the rants when Edge first came out because I had no interest.....but am interested now because we might consider sailing on her......

And go........!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Pier290 said:

Considering sailing on the Edge but what are the cons to the Infinite Veranda cabins??   I didn't pay attention to the rants when Edge first came out because I had no interest.....but am interested now because we might consider sailing on her

You can probably find all those existing conversations that didn't interest you earlier with the Search function.  Pointing this out because some people typed in rather lengthy descriptions of their experiences and the pros & cons and may not be inclined to type them in again, and you would miss so many comments that may help you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SunsetPoint said:

You can probably find all those existing conversations that didn't interest you earlier with the Search function.  Pointing this out because some people typed in rather lengthy descriptions of their experiences and the pros & cons and may not be inclined to type them in again, and you would miss so many comments that may help you.

Good suggestion.  Those who disliked them  back then  will have same opinion now!

I read all I could find because we were considering it, and the IV sounds like a wonderful enhancement to me. 20%+ more room in the cabin, and the window opens to give you the outdoor view and breeze when you want it.

It's not the same as a balcony for people who like to spend a lot of time out there, or who use the balcony as a "second room" to read or relax while a partner sleeps in the cabin.

But for people who just use it during port arrival/sailaway and perhaps morning coffee, it's so much better to have the extra space. You can still sleep with the window open if you want, but know that the AC will turn off, so choose accordingly.

So it really depends on how you like to use the balcony whether you will find it an improvement or a step backward.

(also, there were some technical glitches at first, which they are working on, and the furniture is smaller, which some don't like)

That's my nickel summary.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

there is an excellent 9-page thread titled “Just Booked Apex....why all the Hate?” That I just added to (I Did Not Add to it to Move it Up - thats not allowed on our Forum!!), but now you can find it quite easy and it has a ton of pros/cons.

Den

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the edge now. I agree with GR B above.

on a positive note. Food excellent.  Quality choices diversity of menu and of course quantity.

on a critical note. Lounge chairs at pool are very low , no sit up chairs, no small tables and they arrange chairs with no separation between them.  Not sure what they are thinking. , but that is being critical!,,,

In my opinion we will not book an IV again.  Here's why: 

1.  We are used to a traditional balcony - if you haven't had one in past sailings you will LOVE the IV.

2.  The captain can (and did) raise and lock the windows at his discretion.  We left the window down every night only to wake to find it closed.  They clean the windows while in port which means...the window will be closed when they do your section.

3.  You don't get a "sea breeze" like you do with a traditional balcony - it truly is a window.

Just my opinions...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pier290 said:

Considering sailing on the Edge but what are the cons to the Infinite Veranda cabins??   I didn't pay attention to the rants when Edge first came out because I had no interest.....but am interested now because we might consider sailing on her......

And go........!

Well, I Am sure they will post here and in  detail... LOL

Especially those who have never sailed The Edge, as well...

bon voyage

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, GRBlizz said:

I read all I could find because we were considering it, and the IV sounds like a wonderful enhancement to me. 20%+ more room in the cabin, and the window opens to give you the outdoor view and breeze when you want it.

It's not the same as a balcony for people who like to spend a lot of time out there, or who use the balcony as a "second room" to read or relax while a partner sleeps in the cabin.

But for people who just use it during port arrival/sailaway and perhaps morning coffee, it's so much better to have the extra space. You can still sleep with the window open if you want, but know that the AC will turn off, so choose accordingly.

So it really depends on how you like to use the balcony whether you will find it an improvement or a step backward.

(also, there were some technical glitches at first, which they are working on, and the furniture is smaller, which some don't like)

That's my nickel summary.

I will bump that to $.50... on target.

bon voyage

3 minutes ago, markf said:

On the edge now. I agree with GR B above.

on a positive note. Food excellent.  Quality choices diversity of menu and of course quantity.

on a critical note. Lounge chairs at pool are very low , no sit up chairs, no small tables and they arrange chairs with no separation between them.  Not sure what they are thinking. , but that is being critical!,,,

Please comment on the pool issues in the survey... X needs to know.

Continue to enjoy your sailing.

bon voyage

The line knows, but doesn’t care....the loungers will be there until they wear out

But back to the question about the veranda-that-isn’t-a-veranda, If you’d like to set a damp bathing suit in the sun to dry, you can’t do it in those rooms because there is no drain in the floor like normal verandas have. Sunbathing on the veranda is nearly impossible, and of course there isn’t a lounge chair. Opening the window shuts the room  air conditioning off.  The shade system does not black out the room and the shades are already malfunctioning or are brokenn

• Like 3

Why are they building more ships with these infinite verandas??  We always sail in a balcony cabin......I don't think I'm interested in the IV.

I like the feel of being outside on the balcony lounging with food and drinks and sun.....

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Pier290 said:

Why are they building more ships with these infinite verandas??  We always sail in a balcony cabin......I don't think I'm interested in the IV.

I like the feel of being outside on the balcony lounging with food and drinks and sun.....

The cost of designing a new ship needs to be spread across multiple ships.

• Thanks 1

Just got off the January 19 cruise. We loved the IV. Bed was by the closet so plenty of room by the window. 

Also no problem with people sneaking a smoke on their balcony and the smell stinking up other balconies. 

Wife said best cabin ever. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To each his/her own. We have taken 25 cruises. 23 with balconies. We did the Edge this past fall with an IV.  Best of all things. 

1- With the divider open and the glass up it is an extension of the room.
2- You can leave the divider open and lower the glass for “window” type experience. BUT

3-  If you close the divider, open the glass you have what to us felt exactly like a standard balcony. How anyone would feel like it didn’t is beyond me. 

Only minor annoyance is when the bridge closes the glass due to weather but for us those were mostly at times we would not want to be on the balcony anyway. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We just returned from the Edge and had the IV. I did not like it at all, but the Mrs preferred it over a traditional balcony so a 50/50 draw lol.

My only issue with it was I always get up a few hours before the wife. I will usually go on the balcony with my coffee and read my book until she wakes up.

with the IV you have to open the blinds to use the “balcony”, thus waking up the whole room.

So on edge I would leave cabin and have coffee at cafe and wait till wife woke up. Definitely a first world problem, but I prefer a traditional balcony. 
just my $0.02.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We’ve sailed in an AQ on Edge and loved the IV.  It is very private, no noise from your neighbors and there is indeed an ocean breeze when at sea.  Last month we were in an S1 one Edge and loved it but hated the noise and phone conversations and chatter we were listening to on our balcony and in our cabin.

Next up for us an AQ on Edge in April, we have enough OBC to eat each night and lunches in Speciality Restaurants but look forward to our IV and breakfast in Blu.

Edited by Oville
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pier290 said:

It is a money savings for X.  It saves on fuel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sascol said:

3-  If you close the divider, open the glass you have what to us felt exactly like a standard balcony. How anyone would feel like it didn’t is beyond me. 

Here is why I feel like the window room does NOT feel like a standard balcony:  When I walk out of a cabin onto my balcony, there is air all around. I have walked outside. I don’t have to lower something - my body is already surrounded by outdoor sea air. That outdoor room can never be closed off by someone else. 

A true balcony is similar to stepping out of my house onto my partly-covered outdoor patio at home, versus lowering a window in my house and sticking my head out.

When I was in an IV, I was still inside a room - with ceiling, floor, and four walls, one of which I could lower partly down from the top.

Indoors, looking out a window that I had to lower to smell any outdoor air. Yes, it was a nice, big window, and the room type should have been sold as a unique ocean view experience with operable window (not as a veranda). The “veranda” was not a separate outdoor room, just a small space at the far end of the room with different flooring, and it was smaller than a typical balcony’s square footage. It was not anything like an outdoor balcony to me.

Furthermore, the chairs were small and upright with no footrests. There was no “lean back, stretch out in the sun and relax” experience. There was only one small round table that was already damaged by exposure to elements - just a couple of months after the inaugural. The furniture had to be moved around to operate the much-hyped French doors. They were cumbersome and we left them folded open against the wall.

There were some things we liked about Edge, but many negatives outweighed the positives. We booked an Apex sunset view balcony room (while still on board Edge), but went home and cancelled after realizing we’d had much more enjoyable cruises on S  or M class  ships and on other cruise lines.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Here is why I feel like the window room does NOT feel like a standard balcony:  When I walk out of a cabin onto my balcony, there is air all around. I have walked outside. I don’t have to lower something - my body is already surrounded by outdoor sea air. That outdoor room can never be closed off by someone else. 

A true balcony is similar to stepping out of my house onto my partly-covered outdoor patio at home, versus lowering a window in my house and sticking my head out.

When I was in an IV, I was still inside a room - with ceiling, floor, and four walls, one of which I could lower partly down from the top.

Indoors, looking out a window that I had to lower to smell any outdoor air. Yes, it was a nice, big window, and the room type should have been sold as a unique ocean view experience with operable window (not as a veranda). The “veranda” was not a separate outdoor room, just a small space at the far end of the room with different flooring, and it was smaller than a typical balcony’s square footage. It was not anything like an outdoor balcony to me.

Furthermore, the chairs were small and upright with no footrests. There was no “lean back, stretch out in the sun and relax” experience. There was only one small round table that was already damaged by exposure to elements - just a couple of months after the inaugural. The furniture had to be moved around to operate the much-hyped French doors. They were cumbersome and we left them folded open against the wall.

There were some things we liked about Edge, but many negatives outweighed the positives. We booked an Apex sunset view balcony room (while still on board Edge), but went home and cancelled after realizing we’d had much more enjoyable cruises on S  or M class  ships and on other cruise lines.

You have this right! Well said. I truly believe X should be selling the IV staterooms as a step between outsides and actual verandahs. It's just an outside stateroom with a window...that opens. 

Also, a previous poster said that you have to sail M or S classes to get a traditional verandah. Not true. There are traditional verandahs on the E class ships and all the Sunset Verandah staterooms have traditional verandahs.

Jim

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

You have this right! Well said. I truly believe X should be selling the IV staterooms as a step between outsides and actual verandahs. It's just an outside stateroom with a window...that opens. 

Also, a previous poster said that you have to sail M or S classes to get a traditional verandah. Not true. There are traditional verandahs on the E class ships and all the Sunset Verandah staterooms have traditional verandahs.

Jim

we booked a traditional veranda on the Apex TA for Oct 21. Did not feel we needed to pay extra for the IV. 

2 hours ago, DrKoob said:

Jim

I have a traditional veranda on Apex May Mediterranean cruise. I gave up the IV to save quite a few bucks. I think the veranda size is 52 square feet. I love to read when not out by the pool.  

21 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

“Hull” verandah on edge.  These are located very far forward and very far aft.  

32148417-648B-4838-9AC2-9E7B6D111DF5.jpeg

06FD7B50-7B05-4EFC-8F47-3FAC872073C3.jpeg

724FAD91-4FDA-489B-8D2B-4DC26BEA59BF.jpeg

Thanks for posting. We are the last cabin on deck nine next to the SV's   Not so bad considering it was $600 less than an IV.  Not chunk change IMO. 

• Like 1