Shuttles to Port from Doc

rdonelan

I asked this same question 3 days ago, but cannot find my question any longer.

To partly answer your question, YES, some people would consider it a very long walk from the ship to the port. Last time we were in CM (March 2019), there was no pedicab or shuttle service from A to B, this bc the piers were being expanded.

Am waiting for definitive answer on shuttle trolley.

Let me add this: Costa Maya's port is *definitely* worth the walk. As I have posted in another thread, it's quite beautiful, the wraparound pool is gorgeous (and free!), and it's just a fun, all-around visit -- and leagues better than most other Western Carib ports. Sure, the beach clubs offer a fun beachside experience, but Costa Maya's tropics-inspired Port is quite lovely. Yes, it's a hike from your ship, but take your time and enjoy the view along the way.

Edited by Moonlit Sea

Was there in late January 2020. No shuttles from ships to port that I saw. Have been here before and noticed shuttles, but not this time. It has been a couple years since we visited and the port area seems to have expanded and changed quite a bit. Had a show area with "native" dancing, many more shops and when we sat in chairs by the pool, a waitress came over and said we needed to order something or couldn't use the chairs. Not sure if it was just the area we were in or all the chairs. Did notice that the t-shirts and things were very reasonable here. Took the shuttle downtown for $4pp each way, did a little shopping and walked along the beach. Got an outdoor massage - 20 minutes for $10. Weather was iffy with rain threatening and one ship hadn't been able to dock because of the winds so think they were all scrambling for business.

27 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

vswan, when you say you "took the shuttle downtown", what do you mean?  Are you referring to Mahajuhal?  Or??

Yes, as opposed to the trolley that used to run the length of the pier to the port.

Mahahual is the only town.

I guess things have changed a lot in the last few years.  When I was there, there was nothing at the end of the pier(think it was the first one that was destroyed in the hurricane).   The location was basically a pickup point for just a couple excursions.  I decided to explore on my own, walked on a unpaved road to Mahahual, and found a Aussie with small boat who took me snorkeling for a small amount of change.  Returned to the pueblo and had lunch while a local dog flopped at my feet hoping for morsels.  I was the only tourist there that day - had a great Corona moment.  Cruising can sometimes be very rewarding and peaceful.  I hope you find similar experiences.

Yes, was referring to the shuttle downtown to Mahahual for $4pp. It was an open air shuttle that dropped you off one street over from the main street near the far end. No shuttle for a return, needed to take a taxi, but think that was $4pp also. Picked these up in the same area as the shuttle dropped off. No wait, quite a few there.

Anyone been to Costa Maya lately that knows if the shuttle from the Cruise ship to the port  is still running?

I have a rough time walking long distances and this looks like a very long pier.  Once I get to the port I am sure I can find cabs or shuttles.

Just curious.  Thank you

Good news! We returned yesterday from our cruise aboard NCL Getaway.

Costa Maya has a very long pier, shaped like a giant "L." Getaway's staff provided wheelchair assist from the ship's ramp, covering 1/3 of the distance to the port's shops and swimming pool. A complimentary trolley service provided transport the rest of the way, to within 150 feet of the shops. A very nice surprise.

We had a fantastic cruise on Getaway last week. I recommend taking advantage of Getaway's wheelchair service in Costa Maya, which covers part of the distance to the Port. My mother has never needed a wheelchair, but enjoyed the ride. Her Getaway assistant took her the full length of the ship, then dropped her off where the shuttle awaited. The shuttle service is a bit slow, especially factoring in the turnaround process, but proved helpful, as the wind on the pier during our visit last Friday exceeded 20 mph. Once you arrive in the port area, you can shop or simply relax by the pool. If you are traveling to Muhahual village, you can catch a safari van ride there for $8 pp one way. The Malecon (broad sidewalk) through Muhahual village is great for walking or wheelchairs. 

5 hours ago, Moonlit Sea said:

We had a fantastic cruise on Getaway last week. I recommend taking advantage of Getaway's wheelchair service in Costa Maya, which covers part of the distance to the Port. My mother has never needed a wheelchair, but enjoyed the ride. Her Getaway assistant took her the full length of the ship, then dropped her off where the shuttle awaited. The shuttle service is a bit slow, especially factoring in the turnaround process, but proved helpful, as the wind on the pier during our visit last Friday exceeded 20 mph. Once you arrive in the port area, you can shop or simply relax by the pool. If you are traveling to Muhahual village, you can catch a safari van ride there for $8 pp one way. The Malecon (broad sidewalk) through Muhahual village is great for walking or wheelchairs. 

I thought the shuttle was only $3 or $4 per person, has it gone up?

A taxi is only $8 toral.

6 hours ago, rdonelan said:

Thank you very much for the information.  I was getting very nervous about this port.  Great to hear.

Hope you had a great trip!!

It appears to be hit or miss whether the shuttle is running depending on number of ships.

On 2/12/2020 at 4:26 PM, rdonelan said:

Has anyone been to Costa Maya lately?

Going mid March and wondering if the shuttles from the ship to the port are still running. I read they stopped using them and it is a very long walk.

Thank you

FYI, If you have mobility problems, let the cruise line know and they can wheelchair you down the pier. We were just there in December and didn't see any shuttles but our ship had people outside with wheelchairs and they wheeled me down the pier and then back to the ship when we returned.