Input Please -- Ocean Blue vs Food Republic

Greenpea2

I will be on the Bliss in 11 days (yay). I have all my dining sorted out and reservations made (not something I ever thought I'd do--circa the true Freestyle Dining years--but whatever, things change). The only one I am having second thoughts about is Ocean Blue. I am wondering if maybe I should switch that one for Food Republic. I'd be interested in opinions from those who have been to one or the other (or ideally, both). I have heard good things about Ocean Blue ... but I also have heard negative things and some "meh" things. I have not hear one bad thing about Food Republic.  Hence my second thoughts. 

Opinions please (and yes, I understand that food is subjective). Besides opinions on the food, I am also very interested in knowing if there is any down side to using the Specialty Restaurant package for Food Republic. How would that work? Doesn't seem like the menu is geared towards appetizer/entree/sides/dessert. Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

Opinions will vary.  I have had good experiences in both.  However, I would favor Food Republic.  Your dining plan credit allows you to select four "small plates," or eight per couple in Food Republic.  My girlfriend and I felt full after four, so the manager coded our plan to allow us to return and have four additional small plates on a later evening.  I thought that was a nice gesture.

• Like 3

I LOVE Food Republic - we often eat Asian food at home & I miss it when we travel. Asian Fusion doesn't normally excite me but FR does a great job.

Ocean Blue is a traditional seafood restaurant, we get lots of fresh fish at home, so I can really taste the difference when I eat frozen. We have gone to OB for fresh oysters and then had dinner somewhere else. Ive had 5 meals at Ocean Blue - 3 ok, 1 great & one I couldn't eat as the fish REALLY wasn't fresh

• Like 1

Is Food Republic much better than Wasabi (restaurant on the Getaway)?  I have seen the FR menu and it's certainly more eclectic than traditional sushi, but I can't seem to find a menu of Wasabi.  We don't get to try FR anyway, but I was just curious if Wasabi was equally good.

39 minutes ago, GettotheSun said:

Is Food Republic much better than Wasabi (restaurant on the Getaway)?  I have seen the FR menu and it's certainly more eclectic than traditional sushi, but I can't seem to find a menu of Wasabi.  We don't get to try FR anyway, but I was just curious if Wasabi was equally good.

Wasabi had a pretty limited menu when we did the TA in Oct - not sure if that is normal or because of the itinerary 

I am done with Ocean Blue because it was terrible on the Encore.  We went to Food Republic on both the Bliss and Encore.  My husband loved It and would have eaten there every day.  I thought it was pretty good.  They had these amazing tacos on the Bliss, but they weren't on the menu for the Encore.

On the Bliss we were able to sit by the window and watch whales which was an extra bonus.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Greenpea2 said:

I will be on the Bliss in 11 days (yay). I have all my dining sorted out and reservations made (not something I ever thought I'd do--circa the true Freestyle Dining years--but whatever, things change). The only one I am having second thoughts about is Ocean Blue. I am wondering if maybe I should switch that one for Food Republic. I'd be interested in opinions from those who have been to one or the other (or ideally, both). I have heard good things about Ocean Blue ... but I also have heard negative things and some "meh" things. I have not hear one bad thing about Food Republic.  Hence my second thoughts. 

Opinions please (and yes, I understand that food is subjective). Besides opinions on the food, I am also very interested in knowing if there is any down side to using the Specialty Restaurant package for Food Republic. How would that work? Doesn't seem like the menu is geared towards appetizer/entree/sides/dessert. Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

Definitely do Ocean Blue for a close-to-fine dining experience.  If  you want casual bar food, go to Food Republic. 

This input is really good--thank you all so much! I think I need a second look at the FR menu before deciding. I have one somewhere. Not into sushi but as I remember there were several other things there that looked very good. Decisions, decisions!

6 hours ago, tcrandal said:

Question on Food Republic... If you get 8 dishes, given that it is a place you typically share the plates, I assume bringing my son in, we likely wouldn't need to pay extra unless we went over 8 plates?

They did allow us to use just one person's credit to share between the two of us.

• Like 1

I booked Ocean Blue when the surf and turf didn't have an upcharge but it did when I cruised.  The food was good but it was skimpy.  If I didn't have an SDP I would have stuck with the MDRs.

However,  I also went to Moderno even after all of the negative posts I read on CC and I loved it!.  Every piece of meat was delicious, juicy and tender.  It was my favorite meal of the cruise.

• Like 2

Would have to agree with Bird Travels that they are really different dining experiences.

FR is fun in a group where you can share dishes in an "international tapas" type vibe.  Open for lunch on sea days.

We tried the beef skewers with a spicy sauce, blazing rock shrimp, firecracker shrimp, tuna pizza, shishito peppers    Friends do not like spicy food nor sushi so we also had chicken teriyaki, baby lamb chops and tonkatsu.

Ocean is where I'd pick for a nice dinner with DH.  Especially if I had the package and had extra dinners.

2 posters called it "terrible" but no details given so not sure what was bad.  Perhaps they could come back and tell us as that's quite a strong denouncement.

We did both venues on Encore Jan. 26 week. Actually FR for lunch and 8 dishes was more than enough for the 4 of us.  

If I had a late filling lunch,, FR would also be a good choice for a lighter dinner.

In OB, I started with delicious fried calamari and New England clam chowder.  Personally disappointed to see the conch chowder no longer offered.  Taste and presentation were outstanding on that unusual chowder with very small conch fritters.  This time for entree I had the whole cold water lobster and it was cooked perfectly (choice of steamed or grilled).  Friends had the lobster as well.  One of the waitresses handled the lobster for us and I called her "Lobster Master" the rest of the cruise.  The dinner came with warm black sesame (?) fluffy focaccia type bread.  I chose the lobster Mac (premium side) but would have really had to dig to find lobster.  Plus asparagus.  DH tried the sea bass/branzino and enjoyed it.  

Could never go there a la carte as prices are ridiculously high.  

Last time I went to OB I tried the now defunct lobster pot pie and thought it was more crust than anything and didn't care for the sauce.  Glad they experimented and let it go.  An app that I used to love, no longer offered, was the king crab claws.  Used to order a double portion as my entree!

Must say can't remember desserts at Ocean Blue!

On 2/12/2020 at 5:30 PM, Greenpea2 said:

I’ve not tried Food Republic, but really enjoyed Ocean Blue. I had the spicy fried shrimp app (similar to Bonefish Grille’s Bang Bang Shrimp), the clam chowder, and the mussels for my entree, plus lots of Rose! Oh and that bread! That bread is the best I’ve had on any ship, ever. I’d go there just for the bread. I topped everything off with the chocolate cake dessert, which was a lot like the Haven chocolate cake. Overall, my favorite meal of our Breakaway cruise.

Edited by FLcruisergrl

It's obvious that both restaurants have their good points. We had dinner in both on the Escape, and loved them both! At Food Republic 4 small plates was a good amount of food for two of us, and everything was delicious. Very interesting pairings of spices and ingredients. We also had our best meal of the cruise at Bayamo (now Ocean Blue, I believe). We went in without a reservation and were given the option to dine outside on the Waterfront. We were the only people out there and it was delightful. Everything we had was delicious, and service was terrific. Yes, small portions, but we actually prefer that. We were nicely full without feeling bloated. If you want all-you-can-eat that's what the buffet is for! The photos are from Bayamo, including a scallops app (with that amazing bread!), key lime tart and a chocolate mousse cake.

IMG_5813.jpg

IMG_5815.jpg

IMG_5816.jpg

Edited by Alimo711
Uploaded images.
  • Like 3

On 2/12/2020 at 5:30 PM, Greenpea2 said:

definitely have to try food republic! ocean blue is a nice fine dining restaurant but the food at food republic is like nothing you can get at a regular restaurant. so many options. i have yet to find anything like it on land. just a side note if you like spicy tuna you must try the crispy rice!

6 minutes ago, Smong said:

definitely have to try food republic! ocean blue is a nice fine dining restaurant but the food at food republic is like nothing you can get at a regular restaurant. so many options. i have yet to find anything like it on land. just a side note if you like spicy tuna you must try the crispy rice!

I appreciate the input. I have scoured the menu and agree that its all sounds very interesting, and a few things jumped out at me. The reason I decided on Ocean Blue was because  I just don't care for a lot of the ingredients used in FR. Do not like tuna (except tuna salad), sushi, mussels, clams, most fish except very mild white fish, hogs belly, pork, and just any number of things on the menu. I do want to try the few items that grabbed me, though. And hopefully I will get another chance! The seafood offered at Ocean Blue includes a number that I do like, so I think that's a better fit for me.

• Like 1