Mexican Riveria Suggestions

4jaynki

This is our first west coast cruise and I am in need of suggestions of things to do in all three main ports.  We are a family of 6 with older teenage or young adult kids.  We had really wanted to do ATV in Cabo, but I just cannot bring myself to pay $700 for an excursion.  Sooooooo, what else can we do......any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

We did a Segway tour In Mazatlan when we cruised there in October.  We booked directly with the company and did not do a ship-sponsored excursion.  Our 2+ hour tour cost $55 each.  It was a ton of fun and a great way to see the Old Town and malecon.

Mazatlán:  Walk the Blue Line from the port terminal to downtown.  Check out the theater, the Cathedral, the Mercado.  Grab a golf cart (or two,, with your group) for a ride to see the cliff divers and to the light house -- hike up, if you'd like -- and them back to the port terminal building.  I am not recommending Stone Island because you are not into the beach.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GradUT said:

We did a Segway tour In Mazatlan when we cruised there in October.  We booked directly with the company and did not do a ship-sponsored excursion.  Our 2+ hour tour cost $55 each.  It was a ton of fun and a great way to see the Old Town and malecon.

Very nice, let me look into that. Did you book before hand or at the port?

Have done this cruise many times. When my children were little, in their teens and when in their 20's.

We like to have fun, lol. So these are our suggestions:

Cabo: This is where I would jet ski (besides MZ). Also shopping, tacos Gordo Lele. Bar/Brewery hopping. We did a party snorkel boat once to the arches, we had a blast on the way back! My kids like hanging out at the pier area during the last hour or so before it's time to head back to the ship. Usually Cabo is a short stay, hence the less options.

Mazatlan: I highly suggest Stone Island, we all loved it. We've been there on 4 or so cruises and have taken others there. They have all loved it. Hang out at Lety's (Victor's used to be the spot, but word is that he's no longer open, he comes and goes). At Stone, you can do a lot of water sports and ATV. ATV's here are cheap, and you can ride all over the beach! Waiters at Lety's can hook you up. You can also do a banana boat here, jet ski, parasail, etc.! Very active place and also a great place to chill. Food is the BOMB and cheap!!! Head back to the ship an hour or so early and hang out at the bars by the ship or shop!

PV: Our favorite place in the MDR. So much to choose from. We've done this cruise about 10 times, so we've done many things. The ship is in port for a long time. I usually rent a van/driver. We do some shopping. We head up to El Eden (tourist trap, so don't eat here, just enjoy the sites and water) or somewhere up in the jungle. There's a tequila outdoor shops up there, have some samples. If you really want to ATV, I'd do it here in PV. Lot's of mud and water and jungle! Do not book on ship, bargain once you get off the ship. You can also zip line, drivers usually get you a good deal! BEWARE: They might get you a better deal, but it might not include ALL of the zip lines (some places might have 15, but you'll get to only do 10 or so). So ask before you pay. Los Muertos Brewery is a cool hangout, good beers and GREAT pizza! In my opinion, going with an affordable driver (NEGOTIATE!) is the way to go, cuz they can take you all over PV and get you on a schedule. But you tell him where YOU want to go! Sometimes they'll want to take over, don't let them do that. They'll take you to their buddies restaurant, stores, etc. They get a kickback. So figure out what you want to do and tell him! Trust me on this. 9/10, they'll do as you asked.

Anyhow, hope this helps! 

Edited by klfhngr
  • Like 3

Not the poster above, but we will be on the April 11th cruise and we have a variety of ages as well.  My boys are 17 and 14 and my daughter is almost 2.  That segway tour sounds just up my teen's ally - I'm going to look into that.

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 2/21/2021 at 10:29 AM, mr. godfredo said:

Walking Food tour in PV is awesome! Vallarta Food Tours is really great!

We are looking to book one of these tours for our 11/28 Bliss sailing. Did you take a taxi to the meeting point? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2020 at 3:58 PM, 4jaynki said:

@klfhngr I also just noticed on another board that you will be on Panorama in April, wouldn't be the April 11th cruise would it??

I'm a year and a half late! Thanks to Covid, we're now going in 2 weeks, lol! Oct 23, 2021!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2021 at 4:49 PM, gcjandr said:

My husband and I are going on Panorama Oct 30, 2021.  Still looking for excursions?  Any other recommendations?  Thx!

That would sort of depend on your interests, budget, limitations, etc. All things we don't know.