Castries to Soufriere

smheese

Our 6/27 sailing on Fantasy just had a port change from Martinique to Castries, St. Lucia. Great, because I've always wanted to see that island, one of the few I haven't visited. But, not the greatest port. Apparently they have two, and the only ways to get to the sites we want to see near Souferie is by 75 minute drive on twisted winding horrible mountain roads (my daughter gets car illness so this won't work), or by speed boat, which kinda scares the you know what out of me. I am wondering if anyone knows of a specific excursion that can get us there another way, perhaps on a bigger, less scary, slower boat? 🙂 Really would like to experience the mud baths and see the Pitons. 

3 hours ago, smheese said:

Our 6/27 sailing on Fantasy just had a port change from Martinique to Castries, St. Lucia. Great, because I've always wanted to see that island, one of the few I haven't visited. But, not the greatest port. Apparently they have two, and the only ways to get to the sites we want to see near Souferie is by 75 minute drive on twisted winding horrible mountain roads (my daughter gets car illness so this won't work), or by speed boat, which kinda scares the you know what out of me. I am wondering if anyone knows of a specific excursion that can get us there another way, perhaps on a bigger, less scary, slower boat? 🙂 Really would like to experience the mud baths and see the Pitons. 

The roads are mountainous and winding. Horrible? Not really - just what should be expected from a mountainous location.

Theres plenty of catamaran trips that go to Soufriere. Mystic Man,  Carnival Sailing, Endless Summer, Bateau Mygo, SeaSpray, and so on.

The speedboat tours tend to be on larger open speed boats, that ride above the waves for the most part due to the speed. Check out Joe Knows or Spencer Ambrose websites for photos.  They're fast, yes - that's kinda the point, to get there faster than others.  Safe, relatively smooth (does depend on sea conditions)...

Theres only one cruise ship port in St Lucia, BTW.  The docks in Soufriere are not a port, by any means. Simple docks ro handle smaller ships. A very few cruise ships anchor in Soufriere and tender passengers in, mainly small ships like Windstar or Regent, etc.  

Good luck..hope you enjoy .

We did a catamaran trip from Castries to Soufriere a couple of years ago. Once at Soufriere, we boarded a big van to visit some of the other areas including the mud baths.  The trip was very nice; we even had time to snorkel and the Pitons are beautiful by water. 
St. Lucia is my favorite Caribbean island.  We've been there several times on cruises and love going there.  Enjoy!

On 2/12/2020 at 11:25 PM, LMADAMS91 said:

We did a catamaran trip from Castries to Soufriere a couple of years ago. Once at Soufriere, we boarded a big van to visit some of the other areas including the mud baths.  The trip was very nice; we even had time to snorkel and the Pitons are beautiful by water. 
St. Lucia is my favorite Caribbean island.  We've been there several times on cruises and love going there.  Enjoy!

Do you recall which Cat you were on?

On 2/12/2020 at 11:25 PM, LMADAMS91 said:

How long are you at the mud baths? There are showers after the mud baths to "clean up"