Aqua class - can you eat in MDR?

bebe08

We are looking at booking a Hawaii cruise and considering Aqua so that we can take advantage of the Persian Gardens as there are a number of sea days.  Not a big difference in price - see screen shot.  We have only done Aqua once on a 5 night cruise and DH wasn't that fond of Blu.  Is it possible to eat in MDR if we want to?  Is the Blu menu put out in advance so we (meaning DH 😉 ) can decide if anything strikes his fancy, and if not we can just eat in MDR?    Would another option be stick with veranda or concierge class and buy a pass to Persian Gardens?  Does anyone know how much that is?  

This is kind of last minute (by our standards)....we were scheduled on Apr 10 Millie to Japan which has just been cancelled, so looking for a replacement cruise.

image.png.384fb7f23c6e67943cd15dba68325c16.png

Cruisechuck hit it out of the park.    Yes you can dine in MDR.  

Unless they change things you can also ask for a copy of the MDR menu in Blu and order off of it.  In addition to anytime items mentioned they also have a Children's menu with a 4 ounce Filet (you can ask for 2), Chicken Fingers, Mac and Cheese etc.   Sometimes nice if not really hungry and you want something different.

In addition to seeing the menu daily at the entrance you can download the Celebrity App and see the menu for the entire cruise.   Once in awhile it has an error but usually pretty reliable on the current cruise.

• Like 1

My first thought was "Why would you want to eat in MDR instead of Blu?".  We love Blu and think it is a step up from the dining room in both food quality and service.  We love the atmosphere of the smaller room  and often times we get to know the other Aqua passengers either by chatting at adjacent tables or a conversation starts because we see them each night at dinner.  Also, I am an elementary school teacher so having no kids in the dining room is a plus for me.  If you are interested in the MDR menu I would definitely eat in Blu and order it.  I think having Blu for Aqua passengers is one of the best things about sailing on Celebrity.  I hope you enjoy your cruise, no matter where you decide to eat.

• Like 1

In AQ your assigned dining room is Blu.  If you want to dine in the MDR speak to the hostess or MaitreD in Blu to arrange this.   On the Eclipse ordering off the MDR menu in Blu is difficult because the MDR kitchen is on deck 2 midship and Blu is on deck 5 aft, requiring a waiter or assistant waiter to go half way across the ship & down 3 decks to get your entree.  

Blu offers many of the MDR items- shrimp cocktail, escargot, onion soup, baked potatoes, French fries although they are not on the menu most days they are always available.  As @Jim-Iain said there is also a children’s menu and the every day items; so lots of options.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hrt4girls said:

My first thought was "Why would you want to eat in MDR instead of Blu?".  We love Blu and think it is a step up from the dining room in both food quality and service.  We love the atmosphere of the smaller room  and often times we get to know the other Aqua passengers either by chatting at adjacent tables or a conversation starts because we see them each night at dinner.  Also, I am an elementary school teacher so having no kids in the dining room is a plus for me.  If you are interested in the MDR menu I would definitely eat in Blu and order it.  I think having Blu for Aqua passengers is one of the best things about sailing on Celebrity.  I hope you enjoy your cruise, no matter where you decide to eat.

There is no prohibition against children in Blu, because of the the two person limit, there generally are not a lot of kids but you may get some staying in blu and staying with their parents in suites.   

Also, all the menus are available on the Celebrity app so no need to go running to restaurants.  

We are leaving HAL because they have nothing like AQ and the Blu restaurant.  On M class ships I believe the Blu kitchen is part of the MDR kitchen so ordering off the MDR is not a problem.  I had the same question as the OP for our cruise next year on the Infinity, and I was told  that AQ passengers have the option of Select MDR dining for any night. For us BLU is where we will eat when we are not at a specialty venue, we love the idea of a smaller more intimate dining room. This is why we are leaving HAL after 10 years. We have sailed on HAL in mostly their Signature Suites which, other than a bigger cabin, has hardly any amenities compared to AQ on Celebrity. For the very small additional price on the OP's cruise, I wouldn't hesitate to do AQ. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dkjretired said:

There is no prohibition against children in Blu, because of the the two person limit, there generally are not a lot of kids

This was one of those stupid "AHA!" moments for me.  I never put 2+2 together and realized that's why I rarely see children in Blu.  Makes sense to me now. 

15 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Cruisechuck hit it out of the park.    Yes you can dine in MDR.  

Unless they change things you can also ask for a copy of the MDR menu in Blu and order off of it.  In addition to anytime items mentioned they also have a Children's menu with a 4 ounce Filet (you can ask for 2), Chicken Fingers, Mac and Cheese etc.   Sometimes nice if not really hungry and you want something different.

In addition to seeing the menu daily at the entrance you can download the Celebrity App and see the menu for the entire cruise.   Once in awhile it has an error but usually pretty reliable on the current cruise.

Jim_Lane how do I down load the celebrity App on my new Iphone? I'm technically challenged.  We leave home on the 29th.

30 minutes ago, Nanatravel said:

Jim_Lane how do I down load the celebrity App on my new Iphone? I'm technically challenged.  We leave home on the 29th.

Nanatravel,

Here are the steps to load the app:

1. Click on the App Store icon on your Iphone

2. Search for "Celebrity Cruises"

3. Select to install

4. Enter your security infomation

5. Once the app has downloaded and installed, open the app

6. Select your sailing

7. App will then update with your ship's information

Note that only the following ships are currently supported by the app:

Constellation

Edge

Equinox

Milennium

Reflection

Summit

Enjoy your cruise!

Steven

2 minutes ago, boxkite said:

Nanatravel,

Here are the steps to load the app:

1. Click on the App Store icon on your Iphone

2. Search for "Celebrity Cruises"

3. Select to install

4. Enter your security infomation

5. Once the app has downloaded and installed, open the app

6. Select your sailing

7. App will then update with your ship's information

Note that only the following ships are currently supported by the app:

Constellation

Edge

Equinox

Milennium

Reflection

Summit

Enjoy your cruise!

Steven

Thanks so much.  We are on the Reflection.  I think my old phone had it but I forgot how to get it.

1 hour ago, Pickels said:

Is it possible to get the same table [for two] each night in Blu?   Or no reservations in Blu for the same table every night?

You can request to be seated with the same wait staff (sometimes we have to wait to be accommodated which is fine with us) but tables are first come first serve.

Also on nights when you want to dine in MDR please coordinate with hostess in Blu as I understand tips get transfered from Blu to MDR.

Edited by wrk2cruise

16 hours ago, jelayne said:

In AQ your assigned dining room is Blu.  If you want to dine in the MDR speak to the hostess or MaitreD in Blu to arrange this.   On the Eclipse ordering off the MDR menu in Blu is difficult because the MDR kitchen is on deck 2 midship and Blu is on deck 5 aft, requiring a waiter or assistant waiter to go half way across the ship & down 3 decks to get your entree.  

Blu offers many of the MDR items- shrimp cocktail, escargot, onion soup, baked potatoes, French fries although they are not on the menu most days they are always available.  As @Jim-Iain said there is also a children’s menu and the every day items; so lots of options.

Yes, you are right.

On S-class it is not Practical since the kitchens are on different floors, or possible, to get everything on the MDR menu but appetizers and soups are definitely possible.

But the Maitre D can get a reservation for Blu diners in the MDR as they did for us.

Happy sailings.

Thanks all, this is helpful.  I've put a hold on an Aqua cabin.  Waiting to hear back from our TA re our 25% FCC we are to get as a result of cancelled Millie cruise.  I am hoping we can use it to book this cruise.  Not sure how long you have to wait to get the FCC.  We will also be getting a full refund for our Millie cruise and have asked TA to find out what happens to the OBC we were to have as a result of it being an onboard booking.  Hopefully we get answers soon so we can complete the booking.  I am sure TAs are all extremely busy right now with so many cancellations.  If anyone has experience with how all of this works I would welcome your input.  

For info, I did get a call from X this morning re the booking I have on hold, and once I mentioned I was waiting to hear back from TA he said yes best to deal with TA on this.  

• Like 2

I have just been reading a thread about Suite guests eating in Blu rather than their assigned restaurant Luminae. According to the poster, it is getting more and more difficult for those assigned to Blu to eat when they want. Now in this thread Aqua guests are asking about eating in the MDR. Is this a 'grass is greener' thing? If this downward trend happens regularly is that why the MDR can sometimes be difficult for the guests assigned to Select dining to get in? Just a thought. 

You can eat from MDR menu on M class ships as stated and when I was in BLU that was the only menu worth eating off. Why waste money on Aqua and not book a balcony cabin and use any money for persian, waste of time, gardens, if you really want to go there.

We have gone ahead and booked Aqua.  Thanks all for the input.  DH is more of a burger and fries kind of guy hence my questions on eating in MDR vs Blu on some nights.  I prefer to avoid the buffet at dinner.  We strayed away from X and did a NCL cruise last month.  We really enjoyed O'Sheehans which is an Irish pub/road house type restaurant with no upcharge.  DH would be a happy camper if X had something similar.  However, the food itself on NCL isn't as good as X.  

If I can have access to the MDR menu in Blu, why would I want to eat in the MDR?  Larger crowds, kids running wild, huge tables with strangers, lots of noise, slower service, and mass prepared food all in the equivalent  of a huge  banquet hall is why I chose AQ and the Blu and am willing to pay a little bit more for our cabin. The new Club Orange option  on HAL in the MDR is why I am leaving HAL because you still are stuck in the MDR with all of the above negatives.

Edited by terrydtx