Cruise Critic Community
Nerjagirl

Formal Night Attire

Hi folks.

We are sailing on the Davina at the end of February, and have never cruised before.  Could anyone tell me if tuxedos for men are required or if a normal suit will do.  If you have been on MSC before, what do the majority of people wear for these nights?  TIA

Dress slacks for men, collared shirt.  Some will dress up a lot, particularly the European women in my experience.  Others not at all.  EM

Unless you already have a tux I wouldn't bother, see how the cruise goes and if you get hooked then get the attire that suits your needs. A suit and tie or smart shirt and trousers is fine.

I was watching a youtube video 2 nights ago from a person that sailed on Fantasia in the last month or so.

The video indicated that it was the Captain's Dinner that evening and the persons posting the video were nicely dressed at the table in a suit and dress, however just behind them there was a man being shown to his table just wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

I wore a dinner suit on my first MSC cruise and was in a small minority. I just take a dark suit now and sometimes wear a tie, sometimes not.

34 minutes ago, Muushka said:

Is a Polo shirt and slacks all right?  Thanks!

I very much doubt you would be turned away.

44 minutes ago, Muushka said:

Yes, but he'll fit in better with a long sleeve shirt.

Dress up nicer than Carnival, but you don't have to go all out like on Viking

Bring a suit.  Even a simple basic black t-shirt under the suit jacket would work.  If you're self-conscious, anything more (tuxedo) or less (polo and slacks) would make you feel out of place given what most of the other passengers will be wearing.

43 minutes ago, Muushka said:

The caribbean is much less formal than the Med.  But a polo shirt  in the MDR would be a bit under-dressed for dinner on formal night, although you will not be turned away.  While you will only see a few tuxedos, a dinner jacket, even without tie, would be recommended in the MDR.  Of course, the buffet is much less dressy.

I've only sailed one MSC but was completely comfortable in slacks and a long sleeved collared shirt (no tie nor jacket) on the formal nights.  All other nights I wore slacks and a tropical short sleeved shirt.  The cruise was from Durban to Venice so I presume it was more dressy than the Caribbean.  Over the years I've stopped going formal and in the last coupe years I've even stopped bringing a suit.  Less weight and still fit in with the majority.

Thank you everyone, for your helpful answers.  MSC cruisers are very kind!

I'll be in a dress (yup, I'm the lady) but my husband really hates suits.  He was hoping to get away with a Polo shirt, but now I don't think (according to your replies) he would and he doesn't either. 

I just thought, this is a 10 night Canada cruise, mid Oct.  How about a really nice long sleeve sweater and slacks?  Or am I becoming one of those pesky people who over-complicates things?  Maybe we should we just go to the buffet those evenings?

Thank you all🙂

My Husband does like just dressing in nice sweater and dark slacks. He also wears nicer, (dress shoes ) not sneakers to dinner or evening in general.  I like to dress in fancy tops and nice slacks with dress shoes. We can mix and match that way , as our cruises are usually more than 10 days. This is for cooler weather cruises, like Alaska. For tropical cruises, I do sundresses and he has Tommy Bahama shirts with slacks. I think if you are dressed in a respectful way and comfortable, it is all good.

3 hours ago, Muushka said:

I'll be in a dress (yup, I'm the lady) but my husband really hates suits.  He was hoping to get away with a Polo shirt, but now I don't think (according to your replies) he would and he doesn't either. 

I just thought, this is a 10 night Canada cruise, mid Oct.  How about a really nice long sleeve sweater and slacks?  Or am I becoming one of those pesky people who over-complicates things?  Maybe we should we just go to the buffet those evenings?

Thank you all🙂

Have your husband dress neatly so he is comfortable and you both look good.  Then forget about it.  You will be fine in the MDR.  

On our cruise on Seaside last year there wasn't a ton of suits much less tuxedos. Lots of more modern beach casual with linen and some military cut dress shirts with skinny ties with no jacket. Like the styles of the attached pics. A few of the old Don Johnson Miami Vice Boomer t shirts under the suit jacket too lol. Depends on your taste but definitely not formal if you don't want to be

2b97318ce006a485b60fc6060a93ae96.jpg

bradford-linen-shirt-pool2-768x1182.jpg

44 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Have your husband dress neatly so he is comfortable and you both look good.  Then forget about it.  You will be fine in the MDR.  

Truthfully?  You could sail on ANY cruise line with that good advice and be totally in sync and comfortable (except maybe cunard).

Reds4Life - If you're husband looks like either of those guys, you're one lucky lady!

Edited by jkgourmet

I'd like to hope that my wife does feel like a lucky lady lol. I did dress in similar outfits for our cruise but that's not me in the pics 😉

6 hours ago, Muushka said:

Thank you all🙂

You will be OK however you dress, except don't do tank tops in the MDR, you WILL be refused.

Nope, no tank tops in this family.

Thank you all again.  You guys are great!