US Cruiser Thinking About Costa for Mediterranean Cruise - Good Experience?

Longwood50

I have sailed on Costa once in the Caribbean and it was just fine.  I have heard that as a US person I might not like Costa when sailing in the Mediterranean.  Any thoughts from those who have sailed with Costa there in terms of service, food, and language?  

As with most cruise lines you get what you pay for.

If you go with an open mind then you will be fine, if on the other hand you want o live in an Amercican cruise bubble while on the ship and just go ashore to soak up the European culture then Costa is not for you. No lobster, no ice teas, very limited free dinks (mostly at breakfast time), no art auctions.

Food is food, I have never gone hungry on a Costa cruise, if there is nothing you don't like then there are usually 3 standard items always available. Pizza (chargeable) is great. The drinks packages are the most generous in the cruise industry.

Languages. Nearly all the crew speaks English, annoucements can be in upto 5 languages, if you don't hear your language then it doesn't apply to you. If you go be sure to seek out the English speaking host / hostest who will have an introduction meeting and put you in touch (if you want) with other Englsih speakers. At dinner time, English speakers will be grouped together (recommendation: get and English - Oz translation app in case there are any Australians on your dinner table - probably not as most of the time they will be living it up in the bar).

As previously said if you go with an open mine you will love it.

As G.M.T. said above if you go with an open mind it is the best way to 'do' the Med.

It is a multi-lingual line but almost  all the crew speak English & indeed most of the passengers we have sailed with.

My top recommendation is at least booked a premium cabin if you want to eat early, they come with a drinks package now.

Food choice is now limited for each choice but you certainly would not go hungry,  lots of options to purchase extra choices even Lobster, although charged for given the prices of Costa's cruise still loads cheaper than say Princess.

Once booked study the tours some are easily done by taxi if you can get two to join you. Rome is best done with the ships tours as it is quite a way from where you dock, worst port for late passengers  missing sailing.

Suite perks are best by far we consider the upgrade worth every cent.

We need to define "US", as opposed to "we like ZYX Cruise line".

My Black Sea cruise had about the same demographic as Caribbean from the US, but a shorter cruise during European school vacation, expect MANY families. It's hard to say without knowing exactly which cruise (which is the reason to be very suspicious about reviews which say nothing about the poster or the cruise). If you book with Costa USA, terms and conditions may be different from European bookings.

Be realistic about port stops. Have you been in Europe before? If you're serious about « seeing Europe », a port stop is not an effective way to do it. Think weeks, not hours.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

never booking with costa again.  too many 'try to save money' policies which ends up screwing their customers.

they should have cancelled italian cruises immediately after italy started seeing cases, instead of running smeralda up until the 15th of march.  seriously *****.

4 minutes ago, dethman said:

never booking with costa again.  too many 'try to save money' policies which ends up screwing their customers.

they should have cancelled italian cruises immediately after italy started seeing cases, instead of running smeralda up until the 15th of march.  seriously *****.

It makes one wonder how they fill their cabins.

surely it must be the low prices

8 minutes ago, drsel said:

It makes one wonder how they fill their cabins.

surely it must be the low prices

i got enticed by the price.  a 7 night mediterranean on a premium balcony cabin was probably about 30% of the price of a royal caribbean cruise of similar itinerary.  

'how bad could it be,' i thought?  for 30% of the price i could handle bad food, bad customer service, no english, possible cancelled excursions, at least i'll be in the mediterranean cruising right?  😔