DIY Gratuities

KennyFla

I read on another thread that the Daily Service charge that is automatically added to your bill goes to MSC, not the service employees on the ship.  How many people cancel the auto charge and pay the employees directly?  Also, what are some guidelines to tip each person?  

We were on Preziosa last week, the DSC is not mandatory and many people were cancelling without any hassle at Guest Relations.  A Canadian couple we met at the beach told us they cancelled and started tipping bar staff and the service was a vast improvement

47 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

I read on another thread that the Daily Service charge that is automatically added to your bill goes to MSC, not the service employees on the ship.  How many people cancel the auto charge and pay the employees directly?  Also, what are some guidelines to tip each person?  

You still refuse to understand that the DSC is not the 15% service charge on board. 

Second, you should understand that MSC is a European company, staff is not living on tips, but on salaries. 

5 minutes ago, perakcruiser said:

You still refuse to understand that the DSC is not the 15% service charge on board. 

Second, you should understand that MSC is a European company, staff is not living on tips, but on salaries. 

Okay, look.   I have cruised before, and have done the added to the bill thing, because I believed that this money was distributed to waiters, cabin stewards, etc.  Several people have mentioned that this is not the case on MSC, the money goes back to corporate.  I personally have a problem with this.  I would rather take that money and give it to the people serving me on the ship.

I have not done it before, so I just want to know how much to give each person.

The only 15% charge I have heard of is on bar drinks.  And, I don't know for sure, I don't know if I believe that MSC employees are higher paid than other cruise lines.  Just my opinion.

10 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

The only 15% charge I have heard of is on bar drinks.

Then prepare for a couple of 15% surprises more.

And certainly the salaries on all European and Asian cruise companies are much higher, otherwise they would get no staff.

Very simple, US boats low salary, high tips, Non-US high salary, no or low tips. At the end it ends up same same, because the cruise companies know the numbers very very good.

1 hour ago, KennyFla said:

Okay, look.   I have cruised before, and have done the added to the bill thing, because I believed that this money was distributed to waiters, cabin stewards, etc.  Several people have mentioned that this is not the case on MSC, the money goes back to corporate.  I personally have a problem with this.  I would rather take that money and give it to the people serving me on the ship.

The only 15% charge I have heard of is on bar drinks.  And, I don't know for sure, I don't know if I believe that MSC employees are higher paid than other cruise lines.  Just my opinion.

25 of the 27 pool staff on Meraviglia at Xmas moved from P and O cruises to MSC. They didn't move because they earn less.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sidari said:

25 of the 27 pool staff on Meraviglia at Xmas moved from P and O cruises to MSC. They didn't move because they earn less.

Thanks for your reply.  I may be wrong in the way MSC pays, and if I am great.

But, if I want to tip myself, I was trying to find out what is a good breakdown.  Split evenly between waiters and housekeeping, etc.

8 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

Thanks for your reply.  I may be wrong in the way MSC pays, and if I am great.

But, if I want to tip myself, I was trying to find out what is a good breakdown.  Split evenly between waiters and housekeeping, etc.

Well, then you want to find out whether they are still 'required' to put it into a kitty for all to share.  Some lines require this.  There are numerous urban legends out there as to what happens to the daily add on and tipping.  I think you just need to 'do you' as some like to say.

On statement that does seem correct is that particularly on MSC non-USA cruises, staff delivering continental breakfast to room are rarely tipped and do not anticipate it.  They are in and out before you can open the drawer for that $1 bill.

2 hours ago, jkgourmet said:

Its like the hotels that charge a daily resort fee.  Which CANNOT be removed.

Totally incorrect info.

The DSC (Daily Service Charge) can easily be removed by a short visit to Guest Relations without hassle.

It is NOT mandatory and you’d definitely get better service to tip as you go, I can assure you.

1 minute ago, mickey89 said:

Totally incorrect info.

The DSC (Daily Service Charge) can easily be removed by a short visit to Guest Relations without hassle.

It is NOT mandatory and you’d definitely get better service to tip as you go, I can assure you.

Do you tip everyone as you go, or just bartender?

19 minutes ago, ron746 said:

WHAT ABOUT ALL THE SERVICE STAFF IN THE BACKGROUND,THE PEOPLE YOU DONT SEE BUT STILL PROVIDE SERVICE TO MAKE YOUR CRUISE COMFORTABLE,( THATS WHY YOU SHOULD PAY THE SERVICE CHARGE  AND WHO SUPPOSEDLY THE MONEY GOES TO)

They are already well paid, according to you guys.  The service charge does not go to the employees, goes back to the main company.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

Do you tip everyone as you go, or just bartender?

No, for the regular waiter at dinner and cabin steward/butler we tend to tip early rather than at the end.  Tipping bartender definitely get you very personal service.  Even the response from the cabin and dinning staff really does question whether they get anything of the DSC.

Edited by mickey89

10 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

Totally incorrect info.

Agree 100%. We asked the steward which he would prefer and he said cash tips definitely. He was outstanding and the wait staff adequate at best, so I was glad that we did the cash tips because he got more and they got less. It's a personal preference. 

2 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

Then prepare for a couple of 15% surprises more.

And certainly the salaries on all European and Asian cruise companies are much higher, otherwise they would get no staff.

Very simple, US boats low salary, high tips, Non-US high salary, no or low tips. At the end it ends up same same, because the cruise companies know the numbers very very good.

I would be curious on how you determined your statements.  This appears to be a staff generated database that might indicate other than your understanding:

http://shiplife.org/salaries/

and for what it is worth, staff on MSC state the DSC goes towards staff wages and incentives. We should be aware that those shipboard evaluations which indicate staff add strength to financial incentives.

Edited by mef_57

44 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

Totally incorrect info.

You misunderstood.

I meant that the hotel resort fee cannot be removed.

4 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

MSC seems to be one of the lower paying lines

Yes. Which is why I posted this.  Sometimes google may have more information than one travel forum.  There is an ongoing battle over on TripAdvisor Cruises forum of the 'do they, don't they' use DSC for staff - in some form or another.  That's why I said 'do what works for you'....but also worth doing some other digging.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KennyFla said:

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.  There is virtually 0 chance that what you've read is correct.

1 hour ago, mickey89 said:

Totally incorrect info.

Mickey ... Since the DSC has been included in UK pricing as of June 23rd 2019 my understanding is that it cannot be removed.

Costa also have a Mandatory DSC.

3 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.  There is virtually 0 chance that what you've read is correct.

From https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Manage-Your-Booking/General-Information.aspx

"During your cruise, you will meet staff throughout the ship who provide you with excellent service... For your convenience, MSC Cruises will automatically add a daily Hotel Service Charge to your shipboard account, based on your chosen itinerary and the number of days for which the services are actually provided...The Hotel Service charge serves to ensure we maintain the highest quality standards of service to our guests. The daily amounts below have been calculated with this in mind and cannot be modified. However, should you wish to remove any of the daily Hotel Service Charge in the unlikely event that you do not receive satisfactory service, you may do so by contacting the Guest Relations Manager onboard.

Tips: MSC Cruises does not recommend tipping individual members of staff."

To me this means they are giving staff the tips, as they talk about staff providing excellent service, and DSC is for number of days services provided.  You can remove them if you feel you didn't receive good services- but you can't modify them like on other lines.  There is a longer statement at the link which confirms to me that it is a pool thing since they talk about staff that support other staff, for instance the steward changes your linens and towels that someone else washed, or the bartender pours drinks supplied by a person that stocks the bar, etc.

So it all depends on whether you feel you want to only tip those you see that you feel directly provided you good service (the traditional meaning of giving tips for service, I agree) or if you feel the entire machine should be "tipped."  For me I rather just leave it at the DSC because it's a pain to individually tip, I just want to enjoy my time and only carry my wristband.  Additionally, many people do not tip at all so I feel this is my way to help the machine get some tips.

Bar staff are not included in the daily service charge. Tipping bar staff is customary and added to bills. If you have a package, tip a dollar and they do remember you. If you are trying to figure out what to give people then just leave the automatic ones in place , then you do not need to worry. Its done for you.

34 minutes ago, camofwilliamsburg said:

Bar staff are not included in the daily service charge. Tipping bar staff is customary and added to bills. If you have a package, tip a dollar and they do remember you. If you are trying to figure out what to give people then just leave the automatic ones in place , then you do not need to worry. Its done for you.

Huh, thanks, did not realize bar staff not included.  Usually $1/drink is standard, so I'll go with that, thanks for the info.