Taking wine on board???

tigger54

Just booked an 11 day cruise on the Equinox for September of this year. Got a great deal. I have been on the Equinox one time before quite a while ago so can’t quite remember. Are we aloud to each bring one bottle of wine on board? Can we bring more and if we do, what is the charge for each bottle? Can we bring cans of soda? What about cases of water. Not sure we will bring soda or water but our friends probably would like to.

Thank you

Each passenger is allowed 1 750ml bottle of wine.    If you bring additional it is suppose to be taken from you at security and held until you disembark.    Some people have said they were able to sneak additional aboard but that could end in disappointment.   Any open bottle will be confiscated and disposed of. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Each passenger is allowed 1 750ml bottle of wine.    If you bring additional it is suppose to be taken from you at security and held until you disembark.    Some people have said they were able to sneak additional aboard but that could end in disappointment.   Any open bottle will be confiscated and disposed of. 

I thought it was 2 per stateroom?

Glad others have corrected me apologize for my misleading reply..   I've never personally taken wind aboard.  

Celebrity Cruises Alcohol Policy. Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation Day: No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption. If you wish to bring personal wine onboard with you on the day you board your cruise, you may do so, limited to two (2) 750ml bottles per stateroom.

I know no one would ever cheat the system but if each of two passengers in a room arrived with two bottles and were not in the same security line, how would they know you brought too much wine aboard.   Just curious. 

11 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Glad others have corrected me apologize for my misleading reply..   I've never personally taken wind aboard.  

Celebrity Cruises Alcohol Policy. Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation Day: No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption. If you wish to bring personal wine onboard with you on the day you board your cruise, you may do so, limited to two (2) 750ml bottles per stateroom.

I know no one would ever cheat the system but if each of two passengers in a room arrived with two bottles and were not in the same security line, how would they know you brought too much wine aboard.   Just curious. 

no one would know. You could. There is no system to detect that.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

No one would ever know and people have definitely done it before.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, little britain said:

Do they actually charge corkage?   RCI are meant to charge corkage but I’ve never ever been charged. 

Just wonder about the bottle which you are given in your Concierge cabin. 

It is supplied by the ship, so would corkage be charged if we took it to dinner with us on the first day.

They will charge a corkage fee if you bring the bottle of wine to dinner and you did not buy it on the ship.  

Edited by upwarduk

1 hour ago, upwarduk said:

Just wonder about the bottle which you are given in your Concierge cabin. 

It is supplied by the ship, so would corkage be charged if we took it to dinner with us on the first day.

If it is given to you on board, there will not be a corkage fee charged.  🙂

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, little britain said:

Do they actually charge corkage?   RCI are meant to charge corkage but I’ve never ever been charged. 

We were charged corkage last week on three bottles (the fourth was enjoyed in our suite) though it had been hit or miss previously.  Traveling with another couple so had four bottles between us.  The four bottles were packed together in one carryon and after assuring security the four of us were traveling together they allowed us to proceed.  

Question how do they check for the 2 bottles, say for example I go on 1 hour before my travel companion goes on. i take 2 bottles of wine, then my travel companion goes on 1 hr or more later, and has another 2 bottles.  Wonder how they check.  Just wondering.  I have never seen it recorded when I go thru security they have just verified I had 2 bottles.  

3 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

Question how do they check for the 2 bottles, say for example I go on 1 hour before my travel companion goes on. i take 2 bottles of wine, then my travel companion goes on 1 hr or more later, and has another 2 bottles.  Wonder how they check.  Just wondering.  I have never seen it recorded when I go thru security they have just verified I had 2 bottles.  

Bottom line, they do not check and compare to previous check-in's.

Currently, there are more critical items they would be checking for.

cheers and bon voyage

31 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

They do not check.  They have no way of checking.

The sommeliers have some latitude whether to charge or not.  If it's the first night and they haven't gotten to know you, then you will probably be charged.  If you interact with them for the first few nights and they get to know you, then you can let them know that you are celebrating a special occasion and bringing a nice bottle to dinner.  In that case, they probably will not charge you.  We got to know our sommelier pretty well on our Connie Cruise in January.  We bought some upcharged wines by the glass and really enjoyed his recommendations.  When it came to our special occasion, I brought a nice bottle of champagne that we had purchased in duty free to Blu a few hours before dinner and they chilled it for us. Then served it for dinner without a corkage fee. We brought another bottle of champaign on the final night of the cruise and shared it with new friends we made on the cruise.  We were not charged for that one either (we also bought some upcharged wines that night with our leftover OBC so that probably had something to do with not being charged) . 

4 minutes ago, Arubamoose said:

We are doing the Eclipse that overnights in Buenos Aires.  We will have no means to get wine before we board the first day as we are coming from the airport.  

Can I bring on my two bottles on the next day?   

Technically, no.  They will take it when you board and not return it until after the cruise.  However, there have been some exceptions reported, especially if you are on the premium drinks package.  We normally go to arrivals duty free when we land somewhere and purchase our wine.  

Edited to add that they have a duty free at arrivals in Buenos Aires 

Duty Free Shop Argentina

Shop Categories
Fragrances, Cosmetics, Beverages, Food, Electronics, Accesories, Toys
Telephone
0800-333-9460 (from abroad 005411 5480 6200 INT: 8901)
Email
0800@dufry.com
Opening hours
24Hs
Edited by FFMilesJunkie

7 minutes ago, Arubamoose said:

We are doing the Eclipse that overnights in Buenos Aires.  We will have no means to get wine before we board the first day as we are coming from the airport.  

You can buy it within a couple hundred yards of the cruise terminal in Buenos Aires.  Hope you board with no issues. Took us an hour+ to clear customs and 4 hours to get into town! If weather is bad will be even more. Would only do a Celebrity transfer

We can discuss all the possibilities of getting wine on board. Celebrity has more important things than keeping track that someone already brought two bottles of wine on board for their stateroom. 

Corkage? Maybe. If you don't want to pay it simply take a full glass of wine from your cabin with you to dinner.

1 hour ago, Arubamoose said:

I am fairly certain you would not be able to as I believe it is only at initial embarkation.  You can always pack your wine which is what we usually do using reusable padded wine sleeves purchased online.  We have never had a problem although it does take up valuable space in your luggage!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arubamoose said:

According to the rules, NO.  There are always exceptions to the rules, but for the most part, this has been enforced.  I wouldn't try it, as I would not like to be stuck with the 2 bottles waiting for me at debarcation and having to pack them to take them home.

7 hours ago, little britain said:

Corkage fee is only charged if you take it to a restaurant to consume.    If you drink open it in your room and bring a glass to dinner there would be no charge.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Texed said:

If it is given to you on board, there will not be a corkage fee charged.  🙂

Also if you don't like the bubbly or wine that came with our room you can either have is swapped by you room steward or bring to dinner and the Sommelier can give you a credit against a more expensive bottle.