Mediterranean Cruise Recommendation

atljb2

We have done many cruises, but never a Mediterranean one.  We have cruised primarily on NCL.  Let me hear your recommendations for a Med Cruise for this spring/ Summer.  We are in our 50’s and won’t have kids with us.

Well...NCL does the Med, so that is a choice.

As commonly discussed on the Ports boards, the Med is all about itinerary. Lots of full, 8-12 hour days with extensive touring. So what do you want to see.

We are doing 24 days on Holland America's N. Amsterdam in May/June , focusing on the Eastern Med. Our second Med cruise on Holland America.

How long do you have?  Do you want Eastern or Western Med?  A 7 day cruise will get you one or the other.  You can get some of both on a 10-12 day; to get both you need 14 days.  Not counting travel...  I would look for a cruise that leaves from or visits Venice.  We don't know how long it will be before Venice really gets serious about banning cruise ships...  I recommend you get a copy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports, read it and decide which ports you want to visit and then look for a ship that visits the most.  You probably won't get all...  Spring/Summer 2020 is fast approaching.  There might not be much choice left in cabins...EM

8 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

How long do you have?  Do you want Eastern or Western Med?  A 7 day cruise will get you one or the other.  You can get some of both on a 10-12 day; to get both you need 14 days.  Not counting travel...  I would look for a cruise that leaves from or visits Venice.  We don't know how long it will be before Venice really gets serious about banning cruise ships...  I recommend you get a copy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports, read it and decide which ports you want to visit and then look for a ship that visits the most.  You probably won't get all...  Spring/Summer 2020 is fast approaching.  There might not be much choice left in cabins...EM

Thank you!

The Med is all about the ports, the ship is secondary.

So look for the itinerary you want.

Check the hours in port, some ships - especially Italian ones - have a number of half-days in port which is far from ideal.

Visiting cities by cruise ship is very limiting, you’ll only get a foreshortened day in each port, and no evenings.

so look for one - way cruises. For instance Rome to Venice. And give yourselves a few days pre and post cruise. Buy open-jaw (aka multi-city) return air tickets, so that you fly into one city and home from the other without incurring horrendously expensive one-way air tickets.

And a cruise which includes an overnite in port is a bonus..

JB 😀

Take a look at the offerings Windstar has. They've got a lot of great Med itineraries.  You'd fit in well with their demographic and you'll love the lack of lines and the personalized service.  You'll never go back to a mass market ship again.