Help w/disembarkation time and transport in Brooklyn

alex_drew

I have a few questions that I tried to find answers on before posting this, so I apologize if these have been answered before.

(1) I have only sailed QM2 once before and it was from Southampton to NY (Brooklyn) and was lucky enough to be in Princess Grills and our disembarkation time was listed as 8:30 and I think we actually disembarked around 9 am.  In September I will be on a b2b cruise from Brooklyn to New England/Quebec and back.  I will be on deck 5 (sheltered balcony) and don’t have a clue as to what time we may be disembarking.  Since it is US and Canada I don’t know if it will be less time for disembarkation than when we sailed from England.  Trying to decide what time to arrange transport home.

(2) We live in Virginia and are travelling with friends and are considering a limo service instead of taking the train or flying to NY.  The local limo service that we contacted would give us a discount if we booked them round trip (even though they are based in Virginia and would have to drive to NY to pick us up on the return trip).

(a)  I have the address for the Red Hook terminal, but where would I tell them to meet us at the terminal?  Is there a specific place for limo/car services or does this vary?

(b) I am really concerned about the timing because the driver will come all the way from Virginia and I don’t want him/her to wait a long time for us, but we don’t want a long wait for the car to pick us up either.

(c)  Do you think a Brooklyn-based limo/car service might be a better option to meet us and drive us back to Virginia?  I think that a NY company would probably be more expensive, bur would be interested if  anyone has  experience with this. 

Several years ago we would have just taken the train w/our luggage, but now we are (haha) “older” and really can’t handle our luggage other than a carry-on, so by the time we factor in sending our luggage both ways, we thought that it probably makes more sense to take a car service and have our luggage with us.  Thank you in advance for any insight/tips you may have.

Joanne

Deck 5 should disembark between 10:00 and 10:30. Since it's not a closed loop cruise I think 10:30 is more likely (the same as for a transatlantic).

Give the driver the same address as for when you get dropped off - 72 Bowne Street, Brooklyn. There are ample spots for the driver to wait between the terminal entrance and the actual terminal building. You'll need to call the driver once you're off the ship and through immigration. The pickup area is to the left after you exit the building, for the driver it will be on the right before he gets to the building. It may be crowded and a bit chaotic there, but that seems to be the nature of it. I'm sure you'll manage.

I can't imagine a NY-based car service would price out any cheaper.

have you looked into car rental? If you can time it into a one-day (24 hours) rental period it might be cheaper. There are offices for the major agencies in Brooklyn a short taxi/Uber ride from Red Hook but IME they're generally not open on the weekend. I was surprised to find last June that two one-way rentals were about the same cost as a couple of weeks of parking, and (I'd expect) cheaper than a car service. In other periods the one-way drop fees were higher so you'd have to plug in your own dates. If you're dealing with weekends as we were you'd need to deal with the rental agencies at one of the airports and prices plus transportation are higher, but still possibly economical.

Thanks Underwatr.  Your very precise limo pick-up info is just what I needed!  We are planning to go up the day before and stay at a hotel.  None of us is in a position to drive, so that's not an option.  The last time we managed to snag a porter to handle our bags through immigration, on to the Luggage Forward person to deposit our larger bags, and then to the taxi stand.  We then took a taxi with our carry-on luggage to Penn Station and got the train home.  Thank you so much for your help!

Joanne

Thank you Covepointcruiser, that is exactly what we did on our last QM2 cruise disembarkation in Brooklyn.  Porter was amazing!  The line for immigration was probably at least an hour long and with the porter we were able to go right to the front of one of the lines...saved us so much time I can't even imagine!  Then at Penn Station we had the same experience, as the Red Caps (I think that's what they are called) guide you to the platform before anyone else has the train arrival information...well worth a nice tip in both instances, at the port and at Penn Station.  😊

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 7:02 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

You will have no problem in the baggage area if you snag a porter.   For a tip they will pick up your bags, guide you through immigration and customs, onto your chosen method of transport.   Highly recommend them.   We also use porters in the train station,  very worthwhile.

We have never had a problem with the disembarkation off to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal in all the times which are many and thru the process.

We agree with your method which is the way we handle our departure and all works out for best. We can't believe some of the experiences from other passengers that are posted.

All have to have patience and all works out with a pleasant experience ending a wonderful sailing on the Queen Mary 2. 

We live in Alexandria, VA and have cheked with a couple of different local car services, but we were asking for a price for 6 people and a lot of luggage and the prices we got back were around $1500-$1600 each way.  Well, by the time we each spend $$ on the train, sending luggage by Luggage Forward (at least $100 per bag and I know I would send at least 3 bags), taxis to and from train station/hotel/port/port/train station, it is cheaper to take a hired car service.  Now, if you are only talking about 2 people, that is a whole different scenario.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, alex_drew said:

We live in Alexandria, VA and have cheked with a couple of different local car services, but we were asking for a price for 6 people and a lot of luggage and the prices we got back were around $1500-$1600 each way.  Well, by the time we each spend $$ on the train, sending luggage by Luggage Forward (at least $100 per bag and I know I would send at least 3 bags), taxis to and from train station/hotel/port/port/train station, it is cheaper to take a hired car service.  Now, if you are only talking about 2 people, that is a whole different scenario.

alex_drew,

So sorry you have this problem to solve. Too bad the QM2 couldn't sail out of Norfolk and your problems would be solved. Though you would miss the opportunity to sail out of NYC, the "Big Apple"....

We sailed out of Newport News once on the QE2. They brought us to a pier in a Container Port for our visit. Once also we even came to Baltimore which was a Container Port.

17 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

alex_drew,

So sorry you have this problem to solve. Too bad the QM2 couldn't sail out of Norfolk and your problems would be solved. Though you would miss the opportunity to sail out of NYC, the "Big Apple"....

We sailed out of Newport News once on the QE2. They brought us to a pier in a Container Port for our visit. Once also we even came to Baltimore which was a Container Port.

BklynBoy8,

We LOVE sailing out of Baltimore!  That port is only a little over an 1 hour from our home, and very easy to get to. We sail Royal Caribbean out of B'more at least once a year, usually more.  We've sailed out of Norfolk a few times years ago when Holland America was sailing from that port many years ago.  I know most people usually just drive to the NY ports, but at this point in our lives (my husband is in his late 70's) driving that far is just too much.  Happily, we've got lots of options and always appreciate the tips/info from fellow cruisers that we get on these boards.  Really looking forward to our 2nd QM2 cruise! 😊

19 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Too bad the QM2 couldn't sail out of Norfolk and your problems would be solved.

My fellow Alexandrian alex_drew was too polite to say it, but as an original BronxBoy I must respectfully inform BlkynBoy that Norfolk is almost as far from Alexandria as NYC is.  Like the Empire State, the Old Dominion is pretty big.  

53 minutes ago, Neuhoftraveler said:

My fellow Alexandrian alex_drew was too polite to say it, but as an original BronxBoy I must respectfully inform BlkynBoy that Norfolk is almost as far from Alexandria as NYC is.  Like the Empire State, the Old Dominion is pretty big.  

Touche'

But there is a difference of distance between cities and states the point being made.

Alexandria to Norfolk Va approxiately 141 miles in the same state compared to Alexandria Va to Brooklyn, NY approx. 240 miles and a number of states to travel.

My Bronxite, politely said..

Edited by BklynBoy8

13 hours ago, 57eric said:

Another option would be to rent a van to and from the Newark airport and take a car service from there to the dock and back, but perhaps the savings wouldn't be worth the extra step for you.

Thanks, 57eric, but none in our group is willing/able to drive from VA to Newark.  HAHA, sometimes we even go the day before to BALTIMORE and that's only an hour away! 😄  That's another question, although very unlikely, if we were to fly, would Newark be the closest airport to the ship?

39 minutes ago, alex_drew said:

That's another question, although very unlikely, if we were to fly, would Newark be the closest airport to the ship?

Yes, although not particularly close. In my experience it's the easiest, at least now that they've finished rebuilding I-278 across Staten Island and the new Goethals Bridge. Cab fare for two is $90-100 (ship to EWR, I don't know about the other way), tolls might be additional. Cunard transfer from the ship to Newark has been $50 per person and is less hassle than a cab since you also disembark fairly early in the pecking order if you have a Cunard transfer.

35 minutes ago, alex_drew said:

Thanks, 57eric, but none in our group is willing/able to drive from VA to Newark.  HAHA, sometimes we even go the day before to BALTIMORE and that's only an hour away! 😄  That's another question, although very unlikely, if we were to fly, would Newark be the closest airport to the ship?

alex_drew,

On many of our sailings we see passengers coming from Newark and La Guardia Airports. Newark to the Cruise Terminal one would be take the Holland Tunnel to Manhattan and either the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel or the Brooklyn Bridge to the cruise port.

John F. Kennedy International Airport is quite a distance from the terminal in the Boro of Queens.  

9 hours ago, Underwatr said:

Yes, although not particularly close. In my experience it's the easiest, at least now that they've finished rebuilding I-278 across Staten Island and the new Goethals Bridge. Cab fare for two is $90-100 (ship to EWR, I don't know about the other way), tolls might be additional. Cunard transfer from the ship to Newark has been $50 per person and is less hassle than a cab since you also disembark fairly early in the pecking order if you have a Cunard transfer.

9 hours ago, Underwatr said:

Underwatr, I have to disagree with you across the board.  It's a much quicker trip to the dock from LGA than EWR.  Also, while the costs you cite may be correct, the OP has a party of six, which tilts the conclusion in the opposite direction.  As a last point, I would take Uber or Lyft vs. a taxi from EWR.  I have done that ride multiple times (having driven to EWR from home and parked) and it has never cost me close to $90, including tolls.

• Like 1

Alex_Drew...not sure if this will help, but after arriving in Brooklyn on the QM2 from the UK once, and then working our way home via taxi to Penn Station and then Amtrack south we decided we needed another plan.  Our next cruise on the QM2 will be eastbound and we were not looking forward to another Amtrack ride to Penn and then a taxi to the terminal - all with our bags for the cruise and a month in Europe.

What we are going to do next time is a one-way car rental to an Enterprise location in Brooklyn.  We'll drop  our bags at a hotel, turn in the car, and let Enterprise take us back to the hotel.  On cruise day, the hotel will call a taxi for us to get to the terminal.  All in all, even with driving into Brooklyn, this seems to be the easiest and least expensive way to get there.

I did two one-way rentals in conjunction with a pair of transatlantics last June. From central PA it was cheaper than Amtrak and considerably cheaper than parking in Brooklyn for 3+ weeks. The only complication was that the local rental offices in Brooklyn weren't open over the weekend so we had a Cunard transfer to Newark airport after the cruise to get the car.

The one-way rental pricing varies significantly for some reason, though so you may or ma not be able to make it work. I was working with Hertz.

43 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

What we are going to do next time is a one-way car rental to an Enterprise location in Brooklyn.  We'll drop  our bags at a hotel, turn in the car, and let Enterprise take us back to the hotel.  On cruise day, the hotel will call a taxi for us to get to the terminal.  All in all, even with driving into Brooklyn, this seems to be the easiest and least expensive way to get there.

Sargasso,

Sounds like a good idea.

As a Enterprise customer, I would call and make sure they will be able to take you back to the hotel.

My Enterprise outlet in Brooklyn sometimes has to be informed before hand a customer was going to be either picked up or dropped off to a location. Making sure they have staff available to do so.

Bon Voyage...

On 2/20/2020 at 7:54 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

Alexandria to Norfolk Va approxiately 141 miles in the same state compared to Alexandria Va to Brooklyn, NY approx. 240 miles and a number of states to travel.

I'm not sure where BlklynBoy got his mileage figures, but according to Google Maps,  Norfolk Cruise Terminal is only 37 miles closer to Alexandria than is Brooklyn Cruise Terminal (197 vs. 234).  And I'm not sure what the number of state lines crossed has to do with it.  As I said before, Virginia is pretty big, and MD and DE are pretty small.  Having traveled from Alexandria to both destinations both by car and by rail, I can attest that the elapsed time is about the same.

That said, there really doesn't seem to be a way to get from Northern VA to the Brooklyn pier that's both comfortable and affordable.  We did the reverse trip in 2018 by Yellow taxi to NY Penn Station and then Amtrak to Alexandria.  It was not fun, but OK.  Later this Spring we'll be doing the same thing northbound.  We'd welcome any new suggestions.