Best cruise hacks?

JacqueO

I don't bother packing dish soap or laundry soap -- the bodywash in the shower dispenser works great for both uses!  (Soap is soap, folks.)

I've had excellent luck with 22-pound strength magnet hooks for hanging wet laundry to dry from the ceiling, etc.  I have some 40-lb magnets that I stopped packing, because the 22s did a great job and are smaller and lighter to pack.  

The over-the-door shoe holder's usefulness depends on how many people in the room and how much "little stuff" you have.  When I do use a shoe organizer, I like to hang it on the outside of the bathroom door.  This leaves space on the inside of the door to hang damp towels that will be reused, and also allows everyone in the room to have access to the items even when someone is using the bathroom. 

Even if you don't need the "space" for the stuff you have, simply having all items accessible and visible can make a big difference.... instead of having to look behind the left-side vanity mirror and the right-side vanity mirror and the bathroom shelving unit and the vanity drawers to find what you're looking for, you can just look in one spot and everything is right there.  (Get a shoe organizer with clear plastic pockets so you can see what you're looking for!)  If you have a spouse or kids who are constantly asking, "where's my _______?" or "I need a ______!" then having everything in a central, visible location will save your sanity on vacation!

Examples of things that are great in a shoe holder:  sunscreen, hand lotion, medications (pain reliever, decongestant, etc.), Q-tips/cotton swabs, hairbrush/comb, hair accessories (elastics, barrettes, etc.), charging cables for electronics, sunglasses, scarves, jewelry (costume, not fine!), hairspray, makeup, moisturizer, makeup remover, perfume, antiperspirant, body powder, bandaids/antibiotic ointment, eye/ear drops, pens and Post-It notepad, excursion tickets, and just about anything that might be cluttering the top of the desk or bathroom counter.  You can even pack lots of things right in the shoe holder, and then just fold it and put it in your suitcase. 

Different pockets can even be designated for different family members -- Mom's Sunglasses, Dad's Sunglasses, Kid's Sunglasses, Mom's charger, Dad's charger, Kid's lanyard.... you get the idea.  If there's a designated place for everyone to put their crap when they walk in the room, it eliminates that mad scramble for things when you're trying to leave the room -- "Has anyone seen my lanyard???  I can't find my sunglasses!!!  Where did my Kindle go???"

Do I think a shoe holder is necessary for everyone?  Nope. 

Does it serve a valuable purpose for certain families?  Absolutely!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ilovesailaway said:

*Rum Runners

*Extra shoe to reserve a lounger by the pool

JK

here are a few:

Glow in the dark travel alarm clock for dark inside room

Leave TV on to the bow camera for inside room (tv acts like a window)

Over the door shoe organizer to keep cabin uncluttered

Breakfast in MDR to miss the buffet crowd

I almost missed the   JK   which I assume means "Just Kidding"😁

On 2/14/2020 at 10:42 AM, awestover89 said:

Here are our big must haves:

1) Luggage tag holders. We use these https://amzn.to/37pgFE0 Luggage tags can get ripped, wet, or otherwise damaged and if that happens they can't deliver the luggage to your room. That happened to us once and we bought these the second we got home. 

2) Magnetic hooks. We find them very useful for a wide variety of things around the cabin. We currently use https://amzn.to/38rwwD7 with 80 pound pull strength. We started with a set of 22 pound strength and they weren't strong enough for a lot that we tried to use them for.

3) To go with the above, we got a hangable toiletry bag. https://amzn.to/2Ssktjn Easy access and we can keep it out of the way by hanging it up

4) Motion sickness, whatever works for you. Dramamine works best for me but knocks my husband out, and the less drowsy doesn't work for him. He uses the patches and Motion-Ease. Maybe bring each and see what personally works for you

Silly question but what is magnetic in the cabin where you can use the magnetic hooks?  

7 minutes ago, irishclover59 said:

What are run runners?  Cruising newbie.  Thanks in advance.

Flexible flasks to smuggle/sneak alcohol onboard. Other than wine and champagne (two 750 ml bottles per stateroom) bringing any other types of alcohol onboard RC is against their alcohol policy. 

28 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Flexible flasks to smuggle/sneak alcohol onboard. Other than wine and champagne (two 750 ml bottles per stateroom) bringing any other types of alcohol onboard RC is against their alcohol policy. 

Thanks!  While they pass the xray machine getting on the cruise ship does anyone know if they will get through TSA in checked luggage?

1 hour ago, irishclover59 said:

Thanks!  While they pass the xray machine getting on the cruise ship does anyone know if they will get through TSA in checked luggage?

You can have alcohol in your checked luggage at the airport. You have to adhere to the 3-1-1 rules for your carry on.

Which leads me to another cruise hack:

Buy alcohol at the on board store. They will package it for travel and give it to you on the last night of the cruise so you can put it in your checked luggage. The booze at the shops is way cheaper than where I live. 

Some people may find this useful...Buy everybody brand new underwear for the cruise. Leave it in the original package and just throw it in your suitcase. Of course there is always the alternative...Take raggedy underwear with you and throw it out after wearing. On the way home use that extra space for souvenirs.

13 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

plastic straws if you hate the paper ones

12 hours ago, jakeil7 said:

Some folks here have also pointed out the metal ones work well too. 

We're a big advocate of metal straws - especially for the 'thicker' drinks like Mudslides etc ... 

Just try to remember to actually pack them unlike our October cruise - they're already with the cases ready for our cruise in 2 weeks! ha ha ha

My wife & I are first time cruisers.  Retired couple.  Reviewing these hacks; they are great & very helpful, but don't understand the magnetic hooks.  Why?  Assume there are small closets with hangers for the few hanging things.  Wet swimsuits can be hung in the bathroom or on the balcony over a stretched bungee cord.  What am I missing?  Thanks.

12 minutes ago, danny1951 said:

My wife & I are first time cruisers.  Retired couple.  Reviewing these hacks; they are great & very helpful, but don't understand the magnetic hooks.  Why?  Assume there are small closets with hangers for the few hanging things.  Wet swimsuits can be hung in the bathroom or on the balcony over a stretched bungee cord.  What am I missing?  Thanks.

We use the hooks for several things. Put one next to the air vent & swimsuits will dry in a matter of just a few hours. They are also great for keeping things tidy. I use them for keeping my jewelry organized, charging cords, hats & bags up off the counters. I don't like a lot of clutter so, this is a great solution. 

• Like 1

not really a hack but I like to keep a list in my phone of the names of crew members we come in contact with that are awesome. i like to mention them by name in the survey and keeping a list of names along with where they work on board/what made my interaction great helps with remembering. 

i second the plastic luggage tag holders-they were soo helpful!

we seem to forget water shoes every cruise and now have multiple pairs at home..don't forget water shoes if going to the caribbean! 

wrinkle release spray saved me my last cruise in jan.

if you want to play bingo on board, i'd order your own dobbers ahead of time..may be a little cheaper than the RC ones. 

magnetic clips to hang the compass/itinerary on your cabin wall.

we always bring a power strip (there's a certain one that isn't allowed..i don't know the specifics) but we found to have not needed it when we were on Anthem. I think the newer ships are better about outlets/usb ports. 

definitely ibuprofen/meds since its $$$ on board. same goes for aloe/sunscreen. 

download the app- if your ship is supported, it is SO helpful! the compass is on it so it's so nice and easy to pull up any time. i also liked the feature where if you "zoom out" on the ship it shows you exactly where you are located. it's not as detailed as the one you can see on your tv in the stateroom but i still liked to check it all the time 🙂 the app is also nice to look ahead at dinner menus, make reservations for any specialty restaurants, book excursions, or book on board things (escape room, all access tour, etc). i think the app is great!

happy cruising!! 🙂

• Like 1