Best cruise hacks?

JacqueO

for the "rum runners" one cruise i purchased some plastic, flexible flasks. filled them with my liquor of choice. then i stuffed them into my bra. made me look very very busty. doesnt trip the metal detector or the scanners. and its on me. OBVIOUSLY DON'T DO THAT GOING ON A PLANE. but for the ships, they aren't going to pack down your boobs (won't work for a man, duh).

i always bring a couple extra trash bags. good for laundry or wet clothing coming back from an exercusion. and they take up so little room.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 2:00 AM, compman9 said:

My best cruise hack is . . .

I take formal wear, in an effort to preserve and promote the traditions of luxury vacations and provide a personal bulwark against the decent to the bbq by the syringe filled pool party at the drive-thru motel experience many fellow passengers appear to be striving for

Would you like chips with that bbq?

I agree dinner attire has gotten pretty bad at times.  

1 hour ago, shipshape sam said:

Would you like chips with that bbq?

I agree dinner attire has gotten pretty bad at times.  

The MDR has really gone down hill over the years.  We now leave our formal attire at home as we now use alternative dining mostly. 

On 2/17/2020 at 7:45 AM, PTAngel said:

I Also bring a roll of duct tape.  Never know when that comes in handy. 

I take the emergency use only spare credit card, make a paper sleeve for it, then wrap around it with many layers of duct tape.  Takes up much less space than a roll when you will probably only need a few feet of the stuff at best. Also makes it easy to find that spare card in case something bad happens to the primary card such as loss, theft, port shopping...

• Thanks 1

Space / Vacuum bags. They are great for items that do not wriggle, or you do not care about wriggles. Then 

we use them to sort used clothing for the trip home. Just roll them up and you have extra room coming home.

As mentioned in other post extra outlets are useful with USB, and AC posts.

15 minutes ago, Medic5emt said:

Space / Vacuum bags. They are great for items that do not wriggle, or you do not care about wriggles. Then 

we use them to sort used clothing for the trip home. Just roll them up and you have extra room coming home.

As mentioned in other post extra outlets are useful with USB, and AC posts.

Do you have a problem repacking these without a vacuum or other tool?  I am asking as I have not used them before and I am curious. 

To me it is

•  Headphones. I would go crazy exercising in gym without watching TV on elliptical or on my tablet/phone. 
  • Noise cancelling headphones if I need to work and have a meeting (laptop too of course)
  •  Shampoo, conditioner, lotion. RCI provides only Shampoo and it is not good
  •  Backpack which we use for day trips or beach

2 hours ago, jakeil7 said:

Do you have a problem repacking these without a vacuum or other tool?  I am asking as I have not used them before and I am curious. 

Just zip them closed, open the valve, and start at the bottom role the air out. Dirty clothing sealed, and heaven forbid bed bugs sealed in. I have seen cabin attendants with sweepers helping as well. 

On 2/16/2020 at 4:12 PM, danny1951 said:

My wife & I are first time cruisers.  Retired couple.  Reviewing these hacks; they are great & very helpful, but don't understand the magnetic hooks.  Why?  Assume there are small closets with hangers for the few hanging things.  Wet swimsuits can be hung in the bathroom or on the balcony over a stretched bungee cord.  What am I missing?  Thanks.

Metal hooks are the only one of these hacks I use, and I love them.

I like to hang jackets/hoodies near the door so we can grab them on the way out without having to open the closet (in some ship designs both doors cannot be opened at once) 

I usually bring a lightweight silk robe and hang it near my side of the bed.

Charging cables can coiled and hung neatly when not in use.

We use the magnets to hold tickets for events to the wall and visible so we don't forget about them.

Etc etc

7 hours ago, Medic5emt said:

They are great for items that do not wriggle, or you do not care about wriggles.

I have never seen wrinkles called wriggles before.... don't think it's a regional thing, either, b/c I'm next door to you in Michigan and haven't come across it before.

I’m normally not a doomsdayer, but metal straws freak me out. 

https://www.livescience.com/65925-metal-straw-death.html

I know that is not the norm, but I much prefer the reusable plastic tervis straws. I’m sure there are other brands - I have just grown accustomed to these. My sister had a metal straw on our last cruise and I made her promise to never drink and walk! 

13 hours ago, cindivan said:

I know that is not the norm, but I much prefer the reusable plastic tervis straws. I’m sure there are other brands - I have just grown accustomed to these. My sister had a metal straw on our last cruise and I made her promise to never drink and walk! 

I never use straws.

Simple solution.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 6:34 PM, brillohead said:

I have never seen wrinkles called wriggles before.... don't think it's a regional thing, either, b/c I'm next door to you in Michigan and haven't come across it before.

That's ok. I have locks for my shoes when I travel through Michigan. I know that it is thing to randomly come up missing shoes in Michigan. :)

15 minutes ago, Medic5emt said:

That's ok. I have locks for my shoes when I travel through Michigan. I know that it is thing to randomly come up missing shoes in Michigan. :)

I think you maybe spend too much time in Detroit... there's a WHOLE lot more to the state than that little corner of it!

On 2/20/2020 at 7:15 PM, cindivan said:

For straws I really prefer silicone, we have this set https://amzn.to/38XFNTI because we liked the different sizes and straight/bent options, but they are all pretty interchangeable. I'm super sensitive to the metallic taste from metal straws and just can't use them, and the paper straws are awful. General preference is to avoid straws all together, but I do keep my silicone ones on hand for when I want a straw.

I've been tempted to try a pack of bamboo straws, but haven't yet.

If you are bringing a little power multi USB port device, you might want to make sure the plug can rotate.  On our last cruise it would not fit because the plug was mounted in the "wrong" direction.

If you are going on any tours outside of the city, bug spray!  Don't forget the Off in the woods/jungles.

Water shoes are very handy no matter what beach you end up on.

Extension cords are being taken recently.  If you have a CPAP, get an extra long power cord for it.  Like 20 feet.  I posted a link in another thread a few months ago.  It worked perfectly on the last cruise with some of the magnetic hooks along the ceiling to get it from the head of the bed to the power outlet by the desk.

I save the plastic boxes that my salad mix comes in. They are about the size of a shoe box. When packing, I gently fold shirts and blouses and place in  the box to prevent them from getting crushed or wrinkled. Once on board, the box is handy to store misc items by  my bedside so they don't rattle round (cell phone, tea light, glasses, book, etc.). When its time to pack to go home, I usually just throw the plastic box away because I don't care if my worn clothes get wrinkled.

I bring one set of work-out clothes and wash them in the sink and hang up to dry after a morning at the gym.

I do like packing cubes to keep things organized. They are especially nice if you are spending any time pre- or post- cruise vacationing. Many times we have spent a week or so traveling and the types of clothing you need is vastly different that the types you need on the ship.

After over 50 cruises, I've limited my cruise wardrobe to mostly black and white clothes that are easily mixed and matched. I bring several scarfs to dress up a simple long sleeve top that can be worn multiple times. They can also add a pop of color.

Many of the other things that have already been mentioned are typically brought. Especially the magnets. I don't know if it has been mentioned, but we do carry an extra battery charger for our phones if we are out all day on an excursion. 

Finally, I have a 'travel' tank top that I can wear under my blouse when we are off the ship. I got it on Amazon. It has two zippered pockets, one on each side, that are big enough to hold passports, credit cards, and some cash. After getting our passports stolen in Italy many years ago, i like to keep these items close!

Cheers!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Jeff13 said:

Extension cords are being taken recently.  If you have a CPAP, get an extra long power cord for it.  Like 20 feet.

RCI will provide a CPAP extension cord and distilled water if you ask.  Either fill out the special needs form prior to sailing or ask your room steward. You may still need to ask your steward if you don’t see the water and cord in your room when you get there.