klfhngr

Should buffets go away?  

371 members have voted

1. 1. Should buffets go away?

• Yes
    • No

23 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Isn't the extra cost a downside?

It's almost impossible to tell anyone exactly how much you want, I think, and even harder to tell exactly what you want, I think. 

I think I get it.  I mean, if all things were equal, I would prefer to serve myself too.  At the same time, I'm OK too if they want to spoon the stuff onto my plate.  I'm straddling the fence pretty good here -- guess, I should consider running for office.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SRF said:

It seems the OP Is in the serious minority.

91% support the buffets. 😄

Unclear.  I think there is a size-able number of people who want to get rid of self service buffets but keep staffed buffets.  That group is not captured in this poorly worded question.

• Like 3

On 2/18/2020 at 12:33 PM, ed01106 said:

Unclear.  I think there is a size-able number of people who want to get rid of self service buffets but keep staffed buffets.  That group is not captured in this poorly worded question.

Probably because OP's point and poll had nothing to do with that distinction? 

If you don't like his poll, maybe start one that asks the question you want asked?

• Like 1

I didn't realize that this would turn into a touchy subject, lol! I enjoy the buffet as an option, however I was thinking outside of the box.... More options, smaller eateries, waste management (to say the least), etc.

Perhaps better wording, I was thinking of the big picture. 

On 2/18/2020 at 2:33 PM, ed01106 said:

Hi

If you think a more specific question is warranted, then you should go ahead and do a poll of your own. Otherwise, you will never really know. 🙃 

On 2/14/2020 at 5:13 PM, klfhngr said:

Obviously the buffet quality sucks on most cruise lines, so much food and money is wasted, flu's, noro, etc. shared with everyone!

Isn't it time for the buffets to go away and have smaller eateries (food courts)? So much space is wasted in the buffet area! More free food options, smaller portions=saved money by the cruise lines.

IDK, it's been on my mind and wondering if I'm the only one that feels this way!

7 hours ago, klfhngr said:

I didn't realize that this would turn into a touchy subject, lol! I enjoy the buffet as an option, however I was thinking outside of the box.... More options, smaller eateries, waste management (to say the least), etc.

Perhaps better wording, I was thinking of the big picture. 

Virgin Voyages have done away with buffets...No charges $$ in any restaurants 

10 hours ago, brooklyncruiser99 said:

Virgin Voyages have done away with buffets...No charges $$ in any restaurants 

Hi

...but you can't suggest that you aren't paying for it. My last cruise on one of those ships that has buffets cost $350 for a 7 day cruise and I was travelling solo. That's not going to happen on Virgin cruises or Oceania. 

Of course the buffets aren't the only reason for the difference in prices. They are totally different products and if one suits you better than the other, that is why it is there. Specifically, to have a product for every taste/requirement. If that's what you want, you can buy it now.

The OP however was suggesting that there might be some cost savings by eliminating the buffets, that's why earlier I mentioned that if it were the case, the companies would have look at and made a determination on the concept years ago.  

Some time ago I recall a discussion about cut backs on what is included in cruise fares as it relates to a possible future of dining options.  I may not have it exactly right, but the thinking was as follows.   Buffets will become the only dining option available for base fares.  All other options, including the MDR will be at higher base fares or carry extra charges.   If there is a trend to keep fares lower by charging for previously included services, I can see this happening.   

On 2/17/2020 at 7:21 PM, AlyssaJames said:

I prefer buffets for time issues. I don't like two hour meals. 

I know that some people love two hour meals. I know that in some countries and cultures, two hour meals are normal. That is all fine. But I, personally, don't like two hour meals. 

Some people make every meal an event. Whereas I just like to eat when I am hungry. I dont always want to have to book a table and get dressed up to have a burger. Or some fish.

It is a bit ridiculous the way some people go on about meal times.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Ed means replace the self serve buffet with one where staff are spooning out the food. Not sure how else to say it.  

Exactly.  Similar to a cafeteria.  It is part self service because you go to the food (rather than a waiter bringing it to you) but you only carry the plate (or tray) and the employee places the food on the plate for you.  Think carving station.  However, it differs from a venue with make to order where you have to wait. 

Has all the benefits of a take your own buffet in terms of speed (often faster), go when you want, get has much or a little as you want but eliminates (or at least greatly reduces) the chances of germ spreading.  Only downside is for the provider as they cost more in labor. 

Well over 90 % believe the buffets should stay . And that's from a CC crowd that has more experience then the average cruiser . I have found new cruisers love the buffets .

This question should be put to bed . Don't like buffets ? Don't go !

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 2/14/2020 at 5:13 PM, klfhngr said:

Obviously the buffet quality sucks on most cruise lines, so much food and money is wasted, flu's, noro, etc. shared with everyone!

Isn't it time for the buffets to go away and have smaller eateries (food courts)? So much space is wasted in the buffet area! More free food options, smaller portions=saved money by the cruise lines.

IDK, it's been on my mind and wondering if I'm the only one that feels this way!

I've incorrectly been lumping the "food court" options on Carnival (Deli, Pizza, Guy's, Blue Iguana, etc) as part of the buffet.  We tend to prefer the food courts, but I also see a lot of food left behind from those places.  Eliminating the buffet I think would add unintended consequences.

On 2/14/2020 at 5:42 PM, tallnthensome said:

I doubt many people want smaller portions of anything on a cruise 

We often want smaller portions and struggle to get them at MDR or employee served at the buffet.

2 hours ago, richstowe said:

Well over 90 % believe the buffets should stay . And that's from a CC crowd that has more experience then the average cruiser . I have found new cruisers love the buffets .

This question should be put to bed . Don't like buffets ? Don't go !

And you are.....?????

I don't think food court vs buffet vs MDR really have any bearing on the quantity of food waste.  It is because there is no consequences for the waste.  I am willing to bet folks who have a drink package waste more beverages than the folks paying $8 per drink.  

• Like 2