Cruise Critic Community
shipgeeks

Review, or post thoughts here?

I hardly ever read reviews, but I read and comment on many posts here.  I learned a lot here before our first MSC cruise.

I have been planning to do a review of our recent Seaside cruise.  I just read several reviews, to help get my thoughts together, and some of them contained so many untruths that I was very frustrated, not being able to comment or refute.   I know that many posts here draw questions and comments; I would welcome that.

So, where shall I pour out my heart?

I suggest here also. In the past I would return from a cruise and write a review under the “review” section of Cruise Critic. Apparently reviews are checked over before being posted and the review I wrote took over a week to be posted. More and more I read “reviews” in the “boards” section of Cruise Critic so I have started doing that also. When I get off of a cruise I am excited to share or answer any questions and in the “boards” section that is easier to do. 

Cruise Critic is really two separate communities.  The folks who post here don't necessarily post on the Review part.  And the folks who post Reviews rarely seem to join the discussions here.  So the most helpful thing is to post your review in both places, but if that's too much work [since the formats are different] I hope you will post here!

Ok, I will start by noting here several of the things I read in Reviews (wording might not be exact), with my take on them.

"You can't put ship water in your water bottle, so you have to buy water."

My take:  For hygiene reasons, put dispenser water into a glass, then into your water bottle.  It's not a ploy to make you buy water.

"Nothing is free on Ocean Cay. You have to pay for loungers."

My take: Loungers and umbrellas were free and available at the beaches we went to, as was the food.

"Crew are rude; they won't even talk to you."

My take:  How about being the one to say "good morning" or "thank you", so a crew member knows what language you speak.

"I'm still waiting for my refund."

???   Was there a problem?

Comments?

I will write my review here, but on a separate post.

12 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Cruise Critic is really two separate communities.  The folks who post here don't necessarily post on the Review part.  And the folks who post Reviews rarely seem to join the discussions here.  So the most helpful thing is to post your review in both places, but if that's too much work [since the formats are different] I hope you will post here!

I'm confused.  I don't even know where here is?  (I arrived via a search.)  I've only ever read or posted in Roll calls.  What are the two separate communities?

As an aside, when we cruise, we write an off-line journal, so I've always considered writing a cruise or ship or cruise company review (on cruise critic), but we have never gone through with it as I have never found an obvious/useful place to compare cruises.  (If we ever do it, which community would that posting be part of?)

Redlats, "here" is where you and I are right now: reading/writing in the MSC section of Cruiselines A to Z.

If you go back to the main page - Boards - further down you will see a section for Member Reviews.  You can check out what others have written re a particular ship, and can write your own review.  Sometimes it takes a number of days for a review to appear in print.

I, too, hadn't thought of it as different "communities"; I just know that I personally prefer reading and writing here, on the cruiseline section.  I imagine others prefer the reviews.  I just find them too extreme, many times.  But I don't read reviews for restaurants, hotels, etc. either.

I hope this helps!  If not, please ask further.  Lots of information on Cruise Critic, in many different places!

The official review section is complicated.  I liked the old format...much better than the current one.  They have mixed all the river boats in with the ships and that makes a very long list to scroll through.  Then you have to search for more than 4 reviews...very confusing.

Please post your reviews here...makes finding MSC info easier.

Thank you Shipgeeks for posting your review here on the MSC board...very nice.

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

Well!  We are now booked on MSC Armonia, and even though I shy away from reviews (as noted above), I read some today.  Many were *****.  But here are a few of the negatives that led some reviewers to give one star:

"Our balcony was way too hot.  We called for AC engineers several times; all they could say was 'It's hot weather'.  We wanted to sleep in our cabin with the cool ocean breezes, but no matter how many times we complained, it was still hot."

My take: Follow the engineers' advice and close your balcony door and curtains.

"Nothing but foreign food.  If there hadn't been burgers and hot dogs, we would have starved."

My take:  So sad, expecting American passengers to be able to eat cheerios, eggs, bacon, sausage gravy, donuts, mac & cheese, turkey, beef, chicken, fries, chicken salad.....

"Every port was at least a mile away."

"They didn't do anything for our anniversary."

"They couldn't take any good pictures of us."

And last but not least, his caps, not mine:  NO TOWEL ANIMALS!!

Would you cancel your cruise after reading reviews like those?

Shipgeeks, how was the sausage gravy? I had some on Seaside and it wasn't bad. The biscuits were another story 😬

I'm semi-vegetarian, so did not try the sausage gravy.  I did try a biscuit.....it needed some nice moist sausage gravy, I would say.

DH says the mac & cheese was the best he's ever had.  Now I have to wait two months to try it.

Anyone remember that YouTube review guy that went on Seaside and tried to argue that the pizza was better on Royal Caribbean? Even those that complain about food seem to be ok with the MSC pizza. 

I remember one who hated the MSC pizza because it didn't have cheddar cheese, like his hometown pizza.

We really liked the Seaside pizza!  Had some almost every night, after the show.

The best one I ever heard was a pax complaining that his cruise was ruined.  No hot oatmeal on the breakfast buffet...LOL!!  

Shipgeeks, please post menus when you get onboard Armonia.