So Caribbean Cruise Itinerary - Dive Recommendations Please

PittieMe74

I love this forum! I get the BEST recommendations for our dive trips! Thanks to all that previously gave me advice prior to those trips! I have not been disappointed by any of the recommendations and I truly believe it made a world of difference so HERE I AM AGAIN hoping for more GREAT reviews from those that care to leave one 😄

We will be cruising on Celebrity in December going to St. Maarten, St. Lucia, Barbados, Antigua, and St. Kitts.  I have been reading through this forum and it sounds like, of these ports, that St. Maarten and Antigua are the least recommended locations for a good two tank dive. Unless you think otherwise, of the remaining ports, how would you rate them from best to worse and why? And who are your favorite dive operators at each location?

FYI...I prefer low key dive with lots of color and creatures; turtles would be awesome, but I am not too picky. I really just love being under the water. The DH likes an interesting wreck, which I don't mind if there is lots of things to see. For example: we dove a wreck in Aruba which was ok, but visibility was not great and there wasn't a lot to see other than the wreck. BORING!! We are certified to 100 ft. in case it matters.

Ok, as always, thanks in advance for your input and insight! 

P2260006.JPG

P2260001.JPG

P2260038.JPG

P2260051.JPG

http://www.easterncaribbeandivingstlucia.com/contact_us.htm

7 minutes ago, PittieMe74 said:

I love this forum! I get the BEST recommendations for our dive trips! Thanks to all that previously gave me advice prior to those trips! I have not been disappointed by any of the recommendations and I truly believe it made a world of difference so HERE I AM AGAIN hoping for more GREAT reviews from those that care to leave one 😄

We will be cruising on Celebrity in December going to St. Maarten, St. Lucia, Barbados, Antigua, and St. Kitts.  I have been reading through this forum and it sounds like, of these ports, that St. Maarten and Antigua are the least recommended locations for a good two tank dive. Unless you think otherwise, of the remaining ports, how would you rate them from best to worse and why? And who are your favorite dive operators at each location?

FYI...I prefer low key dive with lots of color and creatures; turtles would be awesome, but I am not too picky. I really just love being under the water. The DH likes an interesting wreck, which I don't mind if there is lots of things to see. For example: we dove a wreck in Aruba which was ok, but visibility was not great and there wasn't a lot to see other than the wreck. BORING!! We are certified to 100 ft. in case it matters.

Ok, as always, thanks in advance for your input and insight! 

In St. Kitts I've dove several times with Pro Divers St. Kitts.  I like everything about them.  It's an easy walk from the ship to the marina where their boat is, and they meet you to lead the way.  The dives there are always good for sea life, and there are a few good wrecks, so it would definitely be a port I'd recommend diving.  Every time I've been there, I've seen octopus, turtles and sharks.  You'll be dealing with Auston and Margot.   (https://prodiversstkitts.com/)

For Barbados, I always dive with West Side Scuba Centre.  They pick up and return to the port.  There's a great wreck dive there, the Stavron Ikita.  It's on a slope so the bow is fairly shallow, while the stern is deeper, with the prop being at 130 feet.  The ship is over 400 feet long, so if you dive that, you will spend your whole dive on the wreck, which is well colonized by coral, and has abundant sea life.  There are a few other wrecks that are smaller and combine with good reef dives there.  There's also something like 6 or 7 shallow wrecks in the Carlisle Bay Marine Park.  These tend to be overrun with divers and snorkelers.  At West Side, you'll be dealing with Peter Grannum.  Email him with what you'd like to see, and he'll do his best to make it happen.  (https://www.westsidescuba.com/)

In St. Lucia, I've dove with both Scuba Steve's and Eastern Caribbean Divers.  Of the two I prefer Eastern Caribbean.  Both pick you up at a pier immediately adjacent to the ship, regardless of which of the two docks your ship uses.  St. Lucia probably has the best reputation for diving of any island on your list.  While the diving is certainly good, I haven't found it to be amazing.  It would be my third choice from your list.  At Eastern Caribbean your contact person will be Eget Martyr.  I've had trouble sometimes getting email responses, but they have WhatsApp on the mobile numbers on their website.  (http://www.easterncaribbeandivingstlucia.com/contact_us.htm)

St. Maarten, I've actually always enjoyed diving on the Dutch side (the French, not as much).  However, after the hurricane, the operator I used to use, Octopus Diving, changed hands, and became unreliable.  That may have improved.  Otherwise, I think others may have good recommendations for St. Maarten. 

Antigua, the dive operators are a long way from the port, and honestly, not worth the hassle of making the trip. 

Harris

Denver, CO

It's been seven years since I last dived in the Caribbean (go to South Pacific now), but my top choice would be St. Lucia, followed by Barbados.  St. Martin diving isn't worth it.  Never dived at St. Kitts or Antigua, so can't help you with that.  Have fun!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, omeinv said:

Harris

Denver, CO

Thanks Harris! You gave me great options the last time I cruised down to the Caribbean and we had a wonderful trip! I appreciate your information and recommendations once again!

1 minute ago, PittieMe74 said:

Thanks Harris! You gave me great options the last time I cruised down to the Caribbean and we had a wonderful trip! I appreciate your information and recommendations once again!

My Pleasure!